Tosin Adarabioyo: ‘In Five Years I’d Like to Be Man City Captain. It Can Happen’

 Tosin Adarabioyo played for Manchester City’s under-18s at the age of 14. Photograph: Gary Calton/The Guardian
Tosin Adarabioyo played for Manchester City’s under-18s at the age of 14. Photograph: Gary Calton/The Guardian
TT

Tosin Adarabioyo: ‘In Five Years I’d Like to Be Man City Captain. It Can Happen’

 Tosin Adarabioyo played for Manchester City’s under-18s at the age of 14. Photograph: Gary Calton/The Guardian
Tosin Adarabioyo played for Manchester City’s under-18s at the age of 14. Photograph: Gary Calton/The Guardian

Tosin Adarabioyo may be on loan again from Manchester City but the 22-year-old remains focused on the boyhood dream. “In five years’ time I’d like to be captain of Man City and have won the Premier League and the Champions League. Definitely it can happen,” he says.

Here high ambition is married to a recognition of the hard yards required to reach the top. Sitting in plush seats at The Mere hotel in Cheshire, Adarabioyo can point to the decision to sign for a season at Blackburn Rovers after spending the previous campaign on loan at West Bromwich Albion.

Premier League: 10 things to look out for this weekend
Read more
“I just felt like I needed to go out there and get some more games and prove what I can do,” the centre-back says. “My aim has always been to get back to City and be a main player in that team. I felt I needed to go out again because last season I was predominantly playing right-back. I didn’t actually get to show what I can do.”

At West Brom he played 36 times including the closing minutes of the Championship play-off semi-final second leg against Aston Villa, Dean Smith’s side progressing on penalties. But instability at West Brom meant Adarabioyo had two managers in 2018-19 – Darren Moore and James Shan – and the experience was not the best.

“It was up and down,” he says. “I was playing out of position: right-back. I didn’t really enjoy that. That’s not where I play best but I learned a lot there.””.

This contrasted, Sterling argued, with how another City player, Phil Foden, was written about in the same publication when buying a “£2m” house for his mother to “set up a future”.

This season has been plagued by the racist abuse of footballers. Those targeted include Manchester United’s Paul Pogba and Marcus Rashford, Liverpool’s Trent Alexander-Arnold and Reading’s Yakou Méïté. Adarabioyo is clear when asked whether the problem has eased since Sterling’s intervention.

“I wouldn’t say it made any difference,” he says. “I haven’t seen much of a change. If anything in recent months it’s got worse. You’ve just got to deal with it however you feel best.

“ Some people want to speak out about it, which I think is the right way to go about it. You have to speak out and have your opinion, try to get rid of racism. Other [players] just want to get on with the game.”

Adarabioyo’s City debut came at 19 under Guardiola’s predecessor, Manuel Pellegrini, in a 5-1 FA Cup defeat at Chelsea in February 2016. Pellegrini selected three other 19-year-olds – Bersant Celina, David Faupala and Aleix García plus Manu García (18) – in protest at having to play on a Sunday before flying to Ukraine to face Dynamo Kyiv the following Wednesday.

Adarabioyo ensured Diego Costa had a difficult match but did not feature again that season. The following year there was an 89th-minute EFL Cup debut against Swansea and a Champions League cameo (30 minutes) before his full debut in the competition, a 1-1 draw with Celtic at the Etihad Stadium. In 2017-18 there were four appearances – two each in the EFL Cup and Champions League – but the final minute of the 2-1 defeat by Basel on 7 March 2018 was Adarabioyo’s last action under Guardiola.

Adarabioyo had been an outstanding prospect in City age-group teams, playing for the under-18s at 14, and made his debut for England at under-16 level. Yet when Guardiola failed to buy a central defender to replace Vincent Kompany, Adarabioyo was still allowed to join Rovers. The manager has since lost Aymeric Laporte to a long-term knee problem, while injuries and form have hampered John Stones.

Guardiola, has not recalled Adarabioyo and the player is unsure of his future. “I’ve not really had much contact with them as of yet. There is a loans manager, Joleon Lescott. He comes out and watches some games, sees how I’m doing and gives feedback. If that’s what they want [to return to City], I’ll be ready.”

When his contract expires in summer 2021 Adarabioyo would be delighted to extend his stay, though his Rovers performances may attract suitors. Signed by Tony Mowbray in July, Adarabioyo has made 18 appearances after his start to the season was hampered by injury.

“I had a tear in my quad. I missed a fair few games but I’m enjoying my time [now]. I’m playing well and getting a lot of minutes. The Championship is tough but enjoyable.”

Adarabioyo adds with a smile: “Obviously it’s a lot of men kicking the ball forward on to your head. I’ve got to deal with that.”

Which is he is doing impressively, Mowbray recently commenting that a defender who is a 6ft 5in ball-player of the City school will harness his talent if he remains grounded.

Adarabioyo’s favourite players when growing up in Manchester point to his own penchant for playmaking. “Patrick Vieira, Ronaldo, Zidane, Steven Gerrard – I liked the way they played,” he says. “I enjoyed growing up in Whalley Range. It was nice – my brothers used to play football all day in the streets.”

Adarabioyo, the youngest of three brothers, was spotted by City aged five. “I was at Chorlton Sports, a local team I’m sure is not around any more. I got picked up and trained at Parrs Wood high school, on the astro, then I moved to Whalley Range high school where there’s five-a-side pitches.”

On Saturday Rovers travel to Sheffield Wednesday. Mowbray’s team are 13th, five points from a play-off place, and won November’s reverse fixture 2-1, Adarabioyo’s equaliser his first senior goal. “It can turn at any time in this league,” he says, “so we just need to get the results.”

The Guardian Sport



Lionel Messi's Inter Miami Reloads for a Run at a Second Straight MLS Title

Argentine soccer player Lionel Messi waves to supporters before a friendly soccer match between Inter Miami and Atlético Nacional at the Atanasio Girardot Stadium in Medellín, Colombia, 31 January 2026. EPA/Carlos Ortega
Argentine soccer player Lionel Messi waves to supporters before a friendly soccer match between Inter Miami and Atlético Nacional at the Atanasio Girardot Stadium in Medellín, Colombia, 31 January 2026. EPA/Carlos Ortega
TT

Lionel Messi's Inter Miami Reloads for a Run at a Second Straight MLS Title

Argentine soccer player Lionel Messi waves to supporters before a friendly soccer match between Inter Miami and Atlético Nacional at the Atanasio Girardot Stadium in Medellín, Colombia, 31 January 2026. EPA/Carlos Ortega
Argentine soccer player Lionel Messi waves to supporters before a friendly soccer match between Inter Miami and Atlético Nacional at the Atanasio Girardot Stadium in Medellín, Colombia, 31 January 2026. EPA/Carlos Ortega

Less than three months removed from its first MLS Cup championship, Lionel Messi's Inter Miami shows no signs of a letdown.

The Herons have assembled one of the strongest rosters in Major League Soccer history heading into a season that begins this weekend and bookends around the biggest event of them all, the World Cup hosted by the United States, Mexico and Canada.

The ageless Messi — he turns 39 in June — is coming off his second straight MVP award, the first player in MLS history to accomplish that feat. He just keeps adding to a legacy that already ensures he'll be remembered as one of the greatest ever to play the beautiful game, The Associated Press said.

“He’s a quiet guy, but on the pitch he transforms into an animal,” teammate Yannick Bright told Italy’s La Gazzetta dello Sport. “After all he’s won, he never wants to lose, not even in training.”

Messi is hardly going it alone in Miami, which pulled off an impressive reload after bringing a title to South Florida.

MLS goalkeeper of the year Dayne St. Clair was lured away from Minnesota United, addressing the club's biggest area of concern. Germán Berterame arrived from Liga MX’s Monterrey to fill a designated player spot, giving the Herons another dynamic threat up front. Newcomers Micael, Sergio Reguilón and David Ayala should help the club cope with the departures of Sergio Busquets and Jordi Alba.

Miami begins its title defense Saturday night with a prime-time matchup against Los Angeles FC at the iconic Coliseum, which is expected to draw a crowd of more than 60,000.

Messi dealt with a muscle issue during the preseason, which put his availability for the opener in question. But he returned to full training this week and is expected to play.

Adding to the excitement in Miami, the Herons will hold the first game at their new Freedom Park stadium on April 4. The 25,000-seat facility completes a more than decade-long quest to build a soccer-specific stadium within the city.

Miami's possible challengers The Vancouver Whitecaps, who were bolstered by the summer signing of longtime German star Thomas Müller, reached the final of both the MLS Cup and CONCACAF Champions Cup in 2025.

They came up short in both games, losing 3-1 to Messi's squad for the league title and 5-0 to Mexico's Cruz Azul for the continental championship. With Müller set for his first full season in MLS, the Whitecaps are eager to bring home a trophy.

Los Angeles FC could the strongest club this side of South Florida, with Son Heung-Min also set for full campaign after his midseason arrival from Tottenham Hotspur provided a dynamic pairing with Denis Bouanga.

“I let Messi win this year,” Son joked during a December visit to Tottenham, "but next year ... we’ll be at the top.”

Also keep an eye on the Philadelphia Union, which claimed the Supporters' Shield for the league's best record during the regular season, and Minnesota United FC with its newest addition, Colombian icon James Rodríguez on a short-term deal.

World Cup break

The league's 30 clubs will have to navigate a seven-week shutdown while the expanded World Cup is held in North America.

MLS stadiums in Atlanta, New England, Seattle, Vancouver and Toronto will host World Cup matches, and many of the league's training facilities will be utilized by nations from around the globe.

The unique schedule has led to some strange quirks in the schedule, such as Atlanta United going more than three months between home games at Mercedes-Benz Stadium.

When MLS resumes play in mid-July, it will be interesting to see which teams do the best job of handling the long layoff.


Host City Milan Seeks Permanent Ice Arena Post-Games

Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Figure Skating - Women Single Skating - Victory Ceremony - Milano Ice Skating Arena, Milan, Italy - February 19, 2026. Gold medallist Alysa Liu of United States celebrates after winning the Women Single Skating. (Reuters)
Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Figure Skating - Women Single Skating - Victory Ceremony - Milano Ice Skating Arena, Milan, Italy - February 19, 2026. Gold medallist Alysa Liu of United States celebrates after winning the Women Single Skating. (Reuters)
TT

Host City Milan Seeks Permanent Ice Arena Post-Games

Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Figure Skating - Women Single Skating - Victory Ceremony - Milano Ice Skating Arena, Milan, Italy - February 19, 2026. Gold medallist Alysa Liu of United States celebrates after winning the Women Single Skating. (Reuters)
Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Figure Skating - Women Single Skating - Victory Ceremony - Milano Ice Skating Arena, Milan, Italy - February 19, 2026. Gold medallist Alysa Liu of United States celebrates after winning the Women Single Skating. (Reuters)

With the Winter Olympics drawing to an end and its ice rinks due to be removed, joint host city Milan has unveiled plans for a permanent ice arena both to seal the Games' legacy and house a professional local hockey team.

Facing a clamor from athletes and residents, local authorities announced the project this week for a new 5,000-seater, 30x60m rink inside an exhibition center area on Milan’s outskirts to be built within three years.

"This is what we had been asking for a long ‌time, and I ‌believe it would truly complete these Olympics, which have ‌been ⁠extraordinary,” Andrea Gios, ⁠president of the Italian Ice Sports Federation, told Reuters.

The northern Italian city successfully staged figure skating, speed skating, short track and hockey competitions across three venues.

All of them — including the newly built Santagiulia arena, which hosted hockey — will now be repurposed for live shows and other sports.

Authorities envisage a temporary new ice arena being set up in October before making it permanent and hopefully becoming home ⁠to a professional hockey team competing in the Ice Hockey ‌League alongside Austrian, Slovenian and Italian sides.

The ‌surprise announcement came after many Italian athletes and Milan residents lamented the prospect of ‌the city being left without a permanent arena for ice sports after ‌the Olympics.

INVESTMENT NEEDED

Gios said he spoke with some North American investors interested in investing in a professional Milan hockey team, which would cost about 5 million euros ($5.9 million) per year.

A new facility would also serve as a venue for major figure skating and ‌short-track events, as well as a hub for grassroots activities.

Despite delivering Italy’s biggest haul of Olympic golds — with ⁠Francesca Lollobrigida winning ⁠both the 3,000 and 5,000 meters and the men’s squad taking the team pursuit title — Italian speed skaters will have no domestic indoor training rink once the Games end.

Building a skating dome with a 400-meter ice track would be very expensive and offer less certain returns than a multi-purpose venue, Gios said, though some private investors who had shown interest in the past would be sounded out.

Until then, top Italian speed skaters will continue to carry out part of their training abroad, on indoor tracks such as the one in Inzell, Germany.

“I know it’s not easy to keep a facility like ours open, but of course it’s disappointing," Lollobrigida said of the Games venue. "If our results don’t speak for us, there’s nothing more we can do."


Neymar Says He May Retire by End of 2026

Santos' forward Neymar #10 looks on during the Campeonato Paulista football match between Santos and Botafogo de Ribeirao Preto at the Urbano Caldeira Stadium in Santos, Sao Paulo state, Brazil on February 5, 2025. (AFP)
Santos' forward Neymar #10 looks on during the Campeonato Paulista football match between Santos and Botafogo de Ribeirao Preto at the Urbano Caldeira Stadium in Santos, Sao Paulo state, Brazil on February 5, 2025. (AFP)
TT

Neymar Says He May Retire by End of 2026

Santos' forward Neymar #10 looks on during the Campeonato Paulista football match between Santos and Botafogo de Ribeirao Preto at the Urbano Caldeira Stadium in Santos, Sao Paulo state, Brazil on February 5, 2025. (AFP)
Santos' forward Neymar #10 looks on during the Campeonato Paulista football match between Santos and Botafogo de Ribeirao Preto at the Urbano Caldeira Stadium in Santos, Sao Paulo state, Brazil on February 5, 2025. (AFP)

Brazil striker Neymar, ‌who extended his contract with his childhood club Santos last month, said that he may retire by the end of the year.

The 34-year-old forward returned to his boyhood club Santos in January 2025 and played a key role in their survival in the Brazilian top flight, scoring five times in their last ‌five matches.

But Neymar, ‌who has struggled with ‌injuries ⁠in recent seasons, ⁠remains doubtful for participation at the World Cup this year.

"I don't know what will happen from now on, I don't know about next year," he told Brazilian online channel Caze on Friday.

"It ⁠may be that when December comes, ‌I'll want to ‌retire. I'm living year to year now."

"This ‌year is a very important year, not ‌only for Santos, but also for the Brazilian national team, as it's a World Cup year, and for me too," Neymar said.

Neymar, ‌who recently underwent successful knee surgery, has scored 79 goals ⁠for ⁠Brazil, the highest by any player, but he has not featured for the national side since October 2023.

Brazil manager Carlo Ancelotti has made it clear over the past year that he will only include players who are fully fit for the World Cup, scheduled to take place from June 11 to July 19 in Canada, Mexico, and the United States.