At the Oscars, 'The Cave' Aims to Provide Hope to Syria

This image released by National Geographic shows Dr. Amani, center, in the operating room in Syria in a scene from the Oscar nominated documentary ‘The Cave.’ (National Geographic via AP)
This image released by National Geographic shows Dr. Amani, center, in the operating room in Syria in a scene from the Oscar nominated documentary ‘The Cave.’ (National Geographic via AP)
TT

At the Oscars, 'The Cave' Aims to Provide Hope to Syria

This image released by National Geographic shows Dr. Amani, center, in the operating room in Syria in a scene from the Oscar nominated documentary ‘The Cave.’ (National Geographic via AP)
This image released by National Geographic shows Dr. Amani, center, in the operating room in Syria in a scene from the Oscar nominated documentary ‘The Cave.’ (National Geographic via AP)

Home is a complicated notion for Feras Fayyad, the director of the Oscar-nominated Syrian documentary “The Cave.”

His family home in Syria is believed to have been taken just weeks ago as Bashar Assad’s Russian-backed regime seized the area. His family is living in temporary housing near the Turkish border. For several years, Fayyad has been living in exile in Copenhagen.

After a lengthy struggle to obtain a visa to attend Sunday’s Academy Awards that included an outpouring of support from the film community, Fayyad finally arrived last week in Los Angeles. Being among filmmakers and friends he has made through his two Oscar-nominated films, Fayyad said, has been a relief. Even a little like being home.

“There’s nothing harder than losing your home, nothing harder than losing everything around you,” Fayyad told The Associated Press in an interview by phone. “But there is something that gives me hope that I can speak about this and bring more attention to this situation and remind the Syrian people: We are still human, we still have a dream, we still believe in justice. For this little moment, I would love for ‘The Cave’ to bring hope to my country and my people.”

“The Cave,” Fayyad’s follow-up to this Oscar-nominated “The Last Man in Aleppo” (which made him the first Syrian filmmaker nominated for an Oscar) is one of the five films nominated for best documentary at this Sunday’s Academy Awards.

Shot between 2012 and 2018, it depicts a subterranean medical facility in Eastern Ghouta during constant bombing by Syrian regime forces and their Russian allies. The hospital lacks much of what it needs, including anesthetics and food, and the incoming flow of injured and dead — many of them children — is ceaseless. A smell of chlorine fills the air after a chemical attack.

The hospital was administered by Dr. Amani Ballour, a young woman trained as pediatrician, who stayed behind to save as many lives as she could. “They took the light,” she intones in the film. “We are living in darkness.” Ballour was the only woman leading a hospital in Syria; even as she’s tending to wounded, she’s also combating deeply ingrained misogyny.

“When I was young, no one tried to tell me that I had rights, that I can be something important. All the people around me said, ‘You’ll get married and have children,’” Ballour said in an interview by phone. “I wanted strongly to change this image, to tell young girls that you have rights, that you can be very important, that you are no different than the boys.”

Like Fayyad, Ballour is coming to the Oscars from a life in exile. She fled Syria in 2018 after the hospital was overtaken and moved to Turkey. She's applying for asylum in Canada. The United States last year abruptly pulled forces out of Syria, a withdrawal that drew a rare bipartisan rebuke from Congress. President Donald Trump’s administration has slashed the number of refugees it will accept from Syria.

Syria’s nine-year war have been called the greatest humanitarian crisis in the world. Since December, the Syrian regime has advanced into the country’s last opposition stronghold in northern Syria. Following the more than 6 million refugees already caused by the war, the United Nations on Monday said half of a million more have been displaced since Dec. 1, 80% of them women and children.

It would be hard to fathom a more sorrowful place than the hospital of “The Cave.” But it would be equally difficult to imagine a more inspiring figure than Ballour.

“I wanted to bring all of the struggle against the sadness, the depression, the death, the daily attacks on the hospital, where we can see the most courageous people and a woman who is fighting to make a space for hope,” says Fayyad. “We own the narrative here, completely, proudly.”

Fayyad and Ballour are both coming to the Academy Awards with a personal mission to call for justice in Syria and to signal to their countrymen that all is not hopeless.

“To be the voice for the people in Syria who are voiceless right now, to support them and try to get help in any way, this is my goal now,” says Ballour, speaking in a midtown Manhattan high-rise. “They have nothing in Syria, nothing. Even buildings like this, we don’t have.”

Fayyad has twice been jailed by the Syrian regime for a total period of 18 months, so his ability to shoot “The Cave” on location was challenging. He depended heavily on his local cinematographers, communicating remotely from Copenhagen. Four staff members of the hospital died during filming.

It was difficult for Fayyad and Ballour just to get to the Oscars partly due to the US travel ban on seven predominantly Muslim countries, including Syria. Fayyad’s visa was ultimately granted after protests were lodged by PEN America and the International Documentary Association.

Preventing him to travel until last week had its own cost, diminishing how much time Fayyad had to do bring attention to Syria before the ceremony. (Another film about war-torn Syria, Waad Al-Kateab and Edward Watts’ “For Sama,” is also nominated for best documentary.)

But the campaign around “The Cave,” a National Geographic film, is ongoing. Following the Oscars, Ballour will travel the US and Europe in a series of fundraising events for the Syrian American Medical Society, which helped secure Fayyad’s visa. Screenings are planned at the United Nations and at the Hague.

An Oscar nomination is just one of many honors for Ballour, who was recently awarded the Council of Europe’s Raoul Wallenberg Prize, an award named for the Swedish diplomat who saved thousands of Jews during World War II.

“A lot of minds will be blown, a lot of minds will be changed when they see the courage of this woman,” says Fayyad.

They come to the Academy Awards with heavy hearts, intent on providing a beacon for Syria. But they aren’t immune to the celebrity of the Oscars. At the film academy’s luncheon last week, Fayyad met Brad Pitt and Al Pacino. Ballour, on her way to Los Angeles, has one other goal, besides her self-appointed duty to her country. She says: “I want to see Tom Cruise!”



17th Century Wreck Reappears from Stockholm Deep

The remains of a 17th century shipwreck is pictured after resurfacing in Stockholm, Sweden, on February 17, 2026. (Photo by Jonathan NACKSTRAND / AFP)
The remains of a 17th century shipwreck is pictured after resurfacing in Stockholm, Sweden, on February 17, 2026. (Photo by Jonathan NACKSTRAND / AFP)
TT

17th Century Wreck Reappears from Stockholm Deep

The remains of a 17th century shipwreck is pictured after resurfacing in Stockholm, Sweden, on February 17, 2026. (Photo by Jonathan NACKSTRAND / AFP)
The remains of a 17th century shipwreck is pictured after resurfacing in Stockholm, Sweden, on February 17, 2026. (Photo by Jonathan NACKSTRAND / AFP)

A 17th century Swedish Navy shipwreck buried underwater in central Stockholm for 400 years has suddenly become visible due to unusually low Baltic Sea levels.

The wooden planks of the ship's well-preserved hull have since early February been peeking out above the surface of the water off the island of Kastellholmen, providing a clear picture of its skeleton.

"We have a shipwreck here, which was sunk on purpose by the Swedish Navy," Jim Hansson, a marine archeologist at Stockholm's Vrak - Museum of Wrecks, told AFP.

Hansson said experts believe that after serving in the navy, the ship was sunk around 1640 to use as a foundation for a new bridge to the island of Kastellholmen.

Archeologists have yet to identify the exact ship, as it is one of five similar wrecks lined up in the same area to form the bridge, all dating from the late 16th and early 17th centuries.

"This is a solution, instead of using new wood you can use the hull itself, which is oak" to build the bridge, Hansson said.

"We don't have shipworm here in the Baltic that eats the wood, so it lasts, as you see, for 400 years," he said, standing in front of the wreck.

Parts of the ship had already broken the surface in 2013, but never before has it been as visible as it is now, as the waters of the Baltic Sea reach their lowest level in about 100 years, according to the archaeologist.

"There has been a really long period of high pressure here around our area in the Nordics. So the water from the Baltic has been pushed out to the North Sea and the Atlantic," Hansson explained.

A research program dubbed "the Lost Navy" is underway to identify and precisely date the large number of Swedish naval shipwrecks lying on the bottom of the Baltic.


China Has Slashed Air Pollution, but the ‘War’ Isn’t Over 

This picture taken on February 11, 2026 shows pedestrians walking along an overpass as traffic snarls in Beijing. (AFP)
This picture taken on February 11, 2026 shows pedestrians walking along an overpass as traffic snarls in Beijing. (AFP)
TT

China Has Slashed Air Pollution, but the ‘War’ Isn’t Over 

This picture taken on February 11, 2026 shows pedestrians walking along an overpass as traffic snarls in Beijing. (AFP)
This picture taken on February 11, 2026 shows pedestrians walking along an overpass as traffic snarls in Beijing. (AFP)

Fifteen years ago, Beijing's Liangma riverbanks would have been smog-choked and deserted in winter, but these days they are dotted with families and exercising pensioners most mornings.

The turnaround is the result of a years-long campaign that threw China's state power behind policies like moving factories and electrifying vehicles, to improve some of the world's worst air quality.

Pollution levels in many Chinese cities still top the World Health Organization's (WHO) limits, but they have fallen dramatically since the "airpocalypse" days of the past.

"It used to be really bad," said Zhao, 83, soaking up the sun by the river with friends.

"Back then when there was smog, I wouldn't come out," she told AFP, declining to give her full name.

These days though, the air is "very fresh".

Since 2013, levels of PM2.5 -- small particulate that can enter the lungs and bloodstream -- have fallen 69.8 percent, Beijing municipality said in January.

Particulate pollution fell 41 percent nationwide in the decade from 2014, and average life expectancy has increased 1.8 years, according to the University of Chicago's Air Quality Life Index (AQLI).

China's rapid development and heavy coal use saw air quality decline dramatically by the 2000s, especially when cold winter weather trapped pollutants close to the ground.

There were early attempts to tackle the issue, including installing desulphurization technology at coal power plants, while factory shutdowns and traffic control improved the air quality for events like the 2008 Olympics.

But the impact was short-lived, and the problem worsened.

- Action plan -

Public awareness grew, heightened by factors like the US embassy in Beijing making monitoring data public.

By 2013, several international schools had installed giant inflatable domes around sport facilities to protect students.

That year, multiple episodes of prolonged haze shrouded Chinese cities, with one in October bringing northeastern Harbin to a standstill for days as PM2.5 levels hit 40 times the WHO's then-recommended standard.

The phrase "I'm holding your hand, but I can't see your face" took off online.

Later that year, an eight-year-old became the country's youngest lung cancer patient, with doctors directly blaming pollution.

As concerns mounted, China's ruling Communist Party released a ten-point action plan, declaring "a war against pollution".

It led to expanded monitoring, improved factory technology and the closure or relocation of coal plants and mines.

In big cities, vehicles were restricted and the groundwork was laid for widespread electrification.

For the first time, "quantitative air quality improvement goals for key regions within a clear time limit" were set, a 2016 study noted.

These targets were "the most important measure", said Bluetech Clean Air Alliance director Tonny Xie, whose non-profit worked with the government on the plan.

"At that time, there were a lot of debates about whether we can achieve it, because (they were) very ambitious," he told AFP.

The policy targeted several key regions, where PM2.5 levels fell rapidly between 2013 and 2017, and the approach was expanded nationwide afterwards.

"Everybody, I think, would agree that this is a miracle that was achieved in China," Xie said.

China's success is "entirely" responsible for a decline in global pollution since 2014, AQLI said last summer.

- 'Low-hanging fruits' gone -

Still, in much of China the air remains dangerous to breathe by WHO standards.

This winter, Chinese cities, including financial hub Shanghai, were regularly among the world's twenty most polluted on monitoring site IQAir.

Linda Li, a running coach who has lived in both Beijing and Shanghai, said air quality has improved, but she still loses up to seven running days to pollution in a good month.

A top environment official last year said China aimed to "basically eliminate severe air pollution by 2025", but the government did not respond when AFP asked if that goal had been met.

Official 2025 data found nationwide average PM2.5 concentrations decreased 4.4 percent on-year.

Eighty-eight percent of days featured "good" air quality.

However, China's current definition of "good" is PM2.5 levels of under 35 micrograms per cubic meter, significantly higher than the WHO's recommended five micrograms.

China wants to tighten the standard to 25 by 2035.

The last five years have also seen pollution reduction slow.

The "low-hanging fruits" are gone, said Chengcheng Qiu from the Center for Research on Energy and Clean Air (CREA).

Qiu's research suggests pollution is shifting west as heavy industry relocates to regions like Xinjiang, and that some cities in China have seen double-digit percentage increases in PM2.5 in the last five years.

"They can't just stop all industrial production. They need to find cleaner ways to produce the output," Qiu said.

There is hope for that, given China's status as a renewable energy powerhouse, with coal generation falling in 2025.

"Cleaner air ultimately rests on one clear direction," said Qiu.

"Move beyond fossil fuels and let clean energy power the next stage of development."


Sydney Man Jailed for Mailing Reptiles in Popcorn Bags 

Investigators recovered 101 Australian reptiles from parcels destined for Hong Kong, South Korea, Sri Lanka and Romania. (AFP file)
Investigators recovered 101 Australian reptiles from parcels destined for Hong Kong, South Korea, Sri Lanka and Romania. (AFP file)
TT

Sydney Man Jailed for Mailing Reptiles in Popcorn Bags 

Investigators recovered 101 Australian reptiles from parcels destined for Hong Kong, South Korea, Sri Lanka and Romania. (AFP file)
Investigators recovered 101 Australian reptiles from parcels destined for Hong Kong, South Korea, Sri Lanka and Romania. (AFP file)

A Sydney man who tried to post native lizards, dragons and other reptiles out of Australia in bags of popcorn and biscuit tins has been sentenced to eight years in jail, authorities said Tuesday.

The eight-year term handed down on Friday was a record for wildlife smuggling, federal environment officials said.

A district court in Sydney gave the man, 61-year-old Neil Simpson, a non-parole period of five years and four months.

Investigators recovered 101 Australian reptiles from seized parcels destined for Hong Kong, South Korea, Sri Lanka and Romania, the officials said in a statement.

The animals -- including shingleback lizards, western blue-tongue lizards, bearded dragons and southern pygmy spiny-tailed skinks -- were posted in 15 packages between 2018 and 2023.

"Lizards, skinks and dragons were secured in calico bags. These bags were concealed in bags of popcorn, biscuit tins and a women's handbag and placed inside cardboard boxes," the statement said.

The smuggler had attempted to get others to post the animals on his behalf but was identified by government investigators and the New South Wales police, it added.

Three other people were convicted for taking part in the crime.

The New South Wales government's environment department said that "the illegal wildlife trade is not a victimless crime", harming conservation and stripping the state "and Australia of its unique biodiversity".