Russian Soldier Killed in 'Mysterious Accident' in Syria's Tartous

Turkey-backed Syrian rebel fighters gather as a military vehicle advances near the border town of Tal Abyad, Syria  (File photo: Reuters)
Turkey-backed Syrian rebel fighters gather as a military vehicle advances near the border town of Tal Abyad, Syria (File photo: Reuters)
TT

Russian Soldier Killed in 'Mysterious Accident' in Syria's Tartous

Turkey-backed Syrian rebel fighters gather as a military vehicle advances near the border town of Tal Abyad, Syria  (File photo: Reuters)
Turkey-backed Syrian rebel fighters gather as a military vehicle advances near the border town of Tal Abyad, Syria (File photo: Reuters)

Three people, including one Russian soldier, were killed Wednesday in a “mysterious accident” in Tartous, western Syria.

Tartous police chief announced that three people, a Russian soldier and two Syrian civilians, were killed when a Russian military vehicle collided with a minibus on al-Qadmous-Banias road in Tartous countryside.

In addition, the accident also resulted in the injury of seven other persons, including two Russians.

A source in Damascus denied targeting the Russian military vehicle with an explosive device, explaining that the incident was a normal traffic accident. However, other sources said that what happened in Tartous was an ISIS operation against Russian army patrol aiming to assassinate a high-ranking Russian officer.

Meanwhile, Defence Minister Hulusi Akar said Turkey wants to begin joint patrols with Russia along the M-4 road on Aleppo-Lattakia highway as of March 15.

“The negotiations [with Russia] continue in a positive and constructive way,” said Akar in Ankara.

Akar stressed that talks with the Russian military delegation about the technicalities of the truce were progressing in a constructive and positive manner, pointing out that the current situation in Idlib was calm after the signing of the ceasefire agreement between Ankara and Moscow last week.

The Minister indicated that Turkey will remain in Idlib, expressing his hope to achieve permanent ceasefire, stability, and security to ensure the voluntary return of Syrian civilians to their homes.

Russian and Turkish military delegations began talks in Ankara on Tuesday at the Ministry of Defense headquarters to agree on the details of the ceasefire in Idlib that was reached during the meeting between Presidents of Russia President Vladimir Putin and Turkey Recep Tayyip Erdogan in Moscow last Thursday.

Putin and Erdogan agreed to a ceasefire in Syria to end civilian suffering but did not elaborate on the details. The two presidents also said they will set up a 12-kilometer wide security corridor along the M-4 highway. It will be jointly patrolled by Russian and Turkish troops, starting March 15.

Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu phoned Akar Tuesday and discussed the situation in Idlib.

In a statement, the Turkish defense ministry said that Akar exchanged views with Shoigu on making the ceasefire permanent in Idlib. He also emphasized determination to continue efforts and fulfill commitments to achieve a lasting ceasefire.

“Akar and Shoigu exchanged views on the ceasefire in Idlib and on the issues of the return of more than one million refugees. The sides reiterated their commitment to the ceasefire, their liabilities under the agreement [on Idlib], and efforts to maintain peace and stability in the region,” the ministry said.



Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
TT

Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski

Germany's military has "temporarily" moved some troops out of Erbil in northern Iraq because of "escalating tensions in the Middle East," a German defense ministry spokesman told AFP on Thursday.

Dozens of German soldiers had been relocated away from the base in Erbil, capital of Iraq's autonomous Kurdistan region.

"Only the personnel necessary to maintain the operational capability of the camp in Erbil remain on site," the spokesman said.

The spokesman did not specify the source of the tensions, but US President Donald Trump has ordered a major build-up of US warships, aircraft and other weaponry in the region and threatened action against Iran.

German troops are deployed to Erbil as part of an international mission to train local Iraqi forces.

The spokesman said the German redeployment away from Erbil was "closely coordinated with our multinational partners".


UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
TT

UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)

A drone strike on a displacement camp in Sudan killed at least 15 children earlier this week, the United Nations reported late on Wednesday.

"On Monday 16 February, at least 15 children were reportedly killed and 10 wounded after a drone strike on a displacement camp in Al Sunut, West Kordofan," the UN children's agency said in a statement.

Across the Kordofan region, currently the Sudan war's fiercest battlefield, "we are seeing the same disturbing patterns from Darfur -- children killed, injured, displaced and cut off from the services they need to survive," UNICEF's Executive Director Catherine Russell said.


MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible, following an Israeli decision to end its activities there.

In early February, Israel announced it was terminating all the activities in Gaza by the medical charity, known by its French acronym MSF, after it failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff.

MSF has slammed the move, which takes effect on March 1, as a "pretext" to obstruct aid.

"For the time being, we are still working in Gaza, and we plan to keep running our operations as long as we can," Filipe Ribeiro told AFP in Amman, but said operations were already facing challenges.

"Since the beginning of January, we are not anymore in the capacity to get international staff inside Gaza. The Israeli authorities actually denied any entry to Gaza, but also to the West Bank," he said.

Ribeiro added that MSF's ability to bring medical supplies into Gaza had also been impacted.

"They're not allowed for now, but we have some stocks in our pharmacies that will allow us to keep running operations for the time being," he said.

"We do have teams in Gaza that are still working, both national and international, and we have stocks."

In December, Israel announced it would prevent 37 aid organizations, including MSF, from working in Gaza from March 1 for failing to submit detailed information about their Palestinian employees, drawing widespread condemnation from NGOs and the United Nations.

It had alleged that two MSF employees had links with Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which the medical charity has repeatedly and vehemently denied.

MSF says it did not provide the names of its Palestinian staff because Israeli authorities offered no assurances regarding their safety.

Ribeiro warned of the massive impact the termination of MSF's operations would have for healthcare in war-shattered Gaza.

"MSF is one of the biggest actors when it comes to the health provision in Gaza and the West Bank, and if we are obliged to leave, then we will create a huge void in Gaza," he said.

The charity says it currently provides at least 20 percent of hospital beds in the territory and operates around 20 health centers.

In 2025 alone, it carried out more than 800,000 medical consultations, treated more than 100,000 trauma cases and assisted more than 10,000 infant deliveries.