Dele Alli Still Looking for His Role Within José Mourinho's Tottenham

 Dele Alli throws a water bottle after being substituted in Spurs’ Champions League defeat by RB Leipzig; ‘It was in many ways a crushingly human moment.’ Photograph: Michael Zemanek/BPI/Rex/Shutterstock
Dele Alli throws a water bottle after being substituted in Spurs’ Champions League defeat by RB Leipzig; ‘It was in many ways a crushingly human moment.’ Photograph: Michael Zemanek/BPI/Rex/Shutterstock
TT

Dele Alli Still Looking for His Role Within José Mourinho's Tottenham

 Dele Alli throws a water bottle after being substituted in Spurs’ Champions League defeat by RB Leipzig; ‘It was in many ways a crushingly human moment.’ Photograph: Michael Zemanek/BPI/Rex/Shutterstock
Dele Alli throws a water bottle after being substituted in Spurs’ Champions League defeat by RB Leipzig; ‘It was in many ways a crushingly human moment.’ Photograph: Michael Zemanek/BPI/Rex/Shutterstock

Perhaps, on reflection, José Mourinho wished it had been Dele’s brother after all. As Dele Alli hurled his water bottle to the ground in fury at being substituted against RB Leipzig on Wednesday night, as first right boot and then left boot were flung off, Mourinho might have been tempted to conclude that his attempts at motivating his star playmaker had not met with unreserved success.

It was Alli, after all, whom Mourinho had singled out during his first press conference in November as one of his most important projects. “Are you Dele or Dele’s brother?” he asked during their first conversation. “OK. Play like Dele. The real Dele.” Now, in the aftermath of a first-leg Champions League defeat, the tone would be slightly different.

“I think he was angry with his performance, not with me,” Mourinho said of Alli’s outburst. “I think he understands why I took him off. And our performance improved.” Ouch. Factually, of course, there was very little to dispute. Alli had been poor all evening: a pale imitation of his very best, with no shots on goal and only 28 touches, the same as his goalkeeper, Hugo Lloris, and the substitute Tanguy Ndombele, who replaced Alli in the 64th minute. Only five of those touches came in the final third. Only two came in the Leipzig penalty area.

Even so, publicly flannelling one of your key players before a crucial game against your local rivals: let’s optimistically file that one under “Bold moves”.

And as Tottenham shape up for a Saturday lunchtime fixture at Chelsea that could be a decisive milestone in the race for Champions League qualification, one senses this was a gamble with quite a bit riding on it. Chelsea have historically been one of Alli’s favourite teams to play against. He has six goals against them in eight appearances, the most of any opponent. Since Mourinho’s arrival, moreover his output has risen sharply with more goals (six in all competitions), more expected goals (0.40 per 90 minutes) and more expected assists (0.22 per 90 minutes, both a significant increase on his last 12 months under Mauricio Pochettino).

Under normal circumstances this would be a fixture to relish. But the Leipzig game, along with other recent games against high-quality opposition, offered something of a corrective. One could see Alli’s exasperation growing as he was forced into chasing a succession of long balls into the channels, frozen out of the buildup, feeding off scraps.

Mourinho has said he sees Alli primarily as a No 10 playing off the striker, rather than as a midfielder, but for a player who likes to feel involved in play nights like these can prove especially frustrating.

Partly, of course, this is a function of circumstances: with Harry Kane and Son Heung-min injured, with Christian Eriksen gone, Alli is the only remaining member of the attacking quartet that for a couple of seasons was one of the most lethal front fours in Europe.

Paradoxically the scarcity of options up front has simultaneously piled extra pressure on him to produce while also starving him of the supply chain that gives him the best chance of doing so. But to a large extent, this is also a product of deliberate choices.

Mourinho’s defence-first strategy in big games has condemned one of their most creative players to long periods at the periphery. His insistence that Alli play primarily in the final third has raised his goal output while arguably diminishing his overall influence. And his decision to criticise Alli publicly risks fracturing the confidence of a player who, for all the brash confidence of his public persona, is a good deal more introspective than many give him credit for.

One could equally argue, of course, that Alli is the sort of player who requires the occasional rocket. That was certainly the view of Pochettino, who while lionising Alli in public often felt the need to point out his shortcomings in private. And the brainless coronavirus joke he posted to his Snapchat a couple of weeks ago was hardly the act of a player ready to take on greater responsibility. Alli will be 24 in a couple of months and should theoretically be entering his peak years. Instead he is still trying to sustain the jet-propelled promise of his early career, his place in England’s Euro 2020 squad not secure.

Perhaps it was this essential tension that found its explosive outlet on Wednesday night. Those who interpreted Alli’s reaction to being substituted purely as an expression of brattish petulance are perhaps guilty of ignoring what came next. After sitting down he buried his head in his hands and then pulled his shirt over his face, blind wrath giving way to quiet devastation. It was in many ways a crushingly human moment, the point at which the dreams and unfettered ambition of youth seemed to collide head-on with the severe reality of playing up front in a team with 37% possession.

Alli’s mercurial talents have always been as much curse as gift. And there is perhaps a broader question: whether players are ultimately responsible for their performances and output or whether they are inextricably bound by circumstances: the team around them, the culture and ambience of the club, the tactics and strategy being pursued. Put more simply: does Mourinho have anything more to offer Alli than mind games? Or is he, to all purposes, on his own?

The Guardian Sport



PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
TT

PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz

Paris Saint-Germain coach Luis ‌Enrique hailed the mental strength of his side in coming from two goals down to win 3-2 away at Monaco in the Champions League on Tuesday, but warned the knockout round tie was far from finished.

The first leg clash between the two Ligue 1 clubs saw Folarin Balogun score twice for the hosts in the opening 18 minutes before Vitinha had his penalty saved to compound matters.

But after Desire Doue came on for injured Ousmane Dembele, the ‌match turned ‌and defending champions PSG went on to ‌secure ⁠a one-goal advantage ⁠for the return leg.

"Normally, when a team starts a match like that, the most likely outcome is a loss,” Reuters quoted Luis Enrique as saying.

“It was catastrophic. It's impossible to start a match like that. The first two times they overcame our pressure and entered our half, they scored. They ⁠made some very good plays.

“After that, it's difficult ‌to have confidence, but we ‌showed our mental strength. Plus, we missed a penalty, so ‌it was a chance to regain confidence. In the ‌last six times we've played here, this is only the second time we've won, which shows how difficult it is.”

The 20-year-old Doue scored twice and provided a third for Achraf Hakimi, just ‌days after he had turned in a poor performance against Stade Rennais last Friday ⁠and was ⁠dropped for the Monaco clash.

“I'm happy for him because this past week, everyone criticized and tore Doue apart, but he was sensational, he showed his character. He helped the team at the best possible time.”

Dembele’s injury would be assessed, the coach added. “He took a knock in the first 15 minutes, then he couldn't run.”

The return leg at the Parc des Princes will be next Wednesday. “Considering how the match started, I'm happy with the result. But the match in Paris will be difficult, it will be a different story,” Luis Enrique warned.


Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TT

Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)

Real Madrid forward Kylian Mbappe said Benfica's Gianluca Prestianni should be banned from the Champions League after the Argentine was accused of directing a racist slur at Vinicius Jr during the Spanish side's 1-0 playoff first-leg win on Tuesday.

Denying the accusation, Prestianni said the Brazilian misheard him.

The incident occurred shortly after Vinicius had curled Real into the lead five minutes into the second half in Lisbon.

Television footage showed the Argentine winger covering his mouth with his shirt before making a comment that Vinicius and nearby teammates interpreted as a racial ‌slur against ‌the 25-year-old, with referee Francois Letexier halting the match for ‌11 ⁠minutes after activating ⁠FIFA's anti-racism protocols.

The footage appeared to show an outraged Mbappe calling Prestianni "a bloody racist" to his face, Reuters reported.

The atmosphere grew hostile after play resumed, with Vinicius and Mbappe loudly booed by the home crowd whenever they touched the ball. Despite the rising tensions, the players were able to close out the game without further interruptions.

"I want to clarify that at no time did I direct racist insults to Vini Jr, ⁠who regrettably misunderstood what he thought he heard," Prestianni wrote ‌on his Instagram account.

"I was never racist with ‌anyone and I regret the threats I received from Real Madrid players."

Mbappe told reporters he ‌heard Prestianni direct the same racist remark at Vinicius several times, an allegation ‌also levelled by Real's French midfielder Aurelien Tchouamen.

Mbappe said he had been prepared to leave the pitch but was persuaded by Vinicius to continue playing.

"We cannot accept that there is a player in Europe's top football competition who behaves like this. This guy (Prestianni) doesn't ‌deserve to play in the Champions League anymore," Mbappe told reporters.

"We have to set an example for all the children ⁠watching us at ⁠home. What happened today is the kind of thing we cannot accept because the world is watching us.

When asked whether Prestianni had apologized, Mbappe laughed.

"Of course not," he said.

Vinicius later posted a statement on social media voicing his frustration.

"Racists are, above all, cowards. They need to cover their mouth with their shirt to show how weak they are. But they have the protection of others who, theoretically, have an obligation to punish them. Nothing that happened today is new in my life or my family's life," Vinicius wrote.

The Brazilian has faced repeated racist abuse in Spain, with 18 legal complaints filed against racist behavior targeting Vinicius since 2022.

Real Madrid and Benfica will meet again for the second leg next Wednesday at the Bernabeu.


Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
TT

Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)

The Kings League-Middle East announced that its second season will kick off in Riyadh on March 27.

The season will feature 10 teams, compared to eight in the inaugural edition, under a format that combines sporting competition with digital engagement and includes the participation of several content creators from across the region.

The Kings League-Middle East is organized in partnership with SURJ Sports Investments, a subsidiary of the Public Investment Fund (PIF), as part of efforts to support the development of innovative sports models that integrate football with digital entertainment.

Seven teams will return for the second season: DR7, ABO FC, FWZ, Red Zone, Turbo, Ultra Chmicha, and 3BS. Three additional teams are set to be announced before the start of the competition.

Matches of the second season will be held at Cool Arena in Riyadh under a single round-robin format, with the top-ranked teams advancing to the knockout stages, culminating in the final match.

The inaugural edition recorded strong attendance and wide digital engagement, with approximately a million viewers following the live broadcasts on television and digital platforms.