Asharq Al-awsat English https://aawsat.com/english Middle-east and International News and Opinion from Asharq Al-awsat Newspaper http://feedly.com/icon.svg

Oman Reports 25 New Coronavirus Cases, Raising Total to 277

Oman Reports 25 New Coronavirus Cases, Raising Total to 277

Saturday, 4 April, 2020 - 09:45
Oman calls on its citizens to strict to self-isolation measures. AFP
Asharq Al-Awsat

Oman said 25 people have tested positive for the new coronavirus, bringing the total number of COVID-19 cases registered to 277, the Ministry of Health (MOH) announced on Saturday.


The ministry said in a tweet that there were 61 recoveries so far.


It called on all citizens and residents to adhere to health procedures and self-isolation measures.


Bahrain


Bahrain announced that transit through its International Airport is open again for international travellers, the Manama-based Gulf Air said on Saturday.


Entry to the country will be limited to Bahrainis and other residents during the coronavirus pandemic.


"In compliance with the new regulations issued by the Bahrain Civil Aviation Authority, we are welcoming back transit passengers through Bahrain International Airport. Arrival into Bahrain remains restricted to nationals and residents," the airline said on Twitter.


United Arab Emirates


The United Arab Emirates extended night-time curfew indefinitely to disinfect public areas to fight the spread of coronavirus, the state-run news agency WAM reported late on Friday.


The disinfection drive, which consists of spraying and cleaning streets, parks and public transport facilities, is being carried out between 8 p.m. and 6 a.m. each day.


People have been ordered to stay at home during those hours.


"The Ministry of Health Prevention and the Ministry of Interior have announced the continuation of the National Disinfection Program," WAM said, without saying when the operation would end.


The UAE recommended that people wear masks when leaving home, a health ministry spokeswoman told a news conference broadcast on TV.


Authorities in Dubai later announced they were extending the lockdown in the emirate to 24 hours, starting Saturday night.


The lockdown will last for two weeks, with the government warning that mobility will be restricted and legal action will be taken against violators, reported the state news agency WAM.


On Saturday, UAE reported 241 infections and one death over the past 24 hours, taking the total confirmed cases to 1,505 and the death toll to 10, according to government tweets.


Kuwait


The Kuwaiti Ministry of Health announced Saturday the first death caused by COVID-19, saying 62 fresh cases were reported in the last 24 hours.


This brings the country's tally of confirmed virus cases up to 479, the ministry's spokesman Dr. Abdullah Al-Sanad told KUNA.


Earlier in the day, Minister of Health Sheikh Dr. Basel Al-Sabah announced the recovery of 11 people from the novel coronavirus, raising the country's total recoveries to 93.


Editor Picks

Multimedia