‘This Is Horrible': Cambuur Stunned After Dream Season Turns to Dust

 Erik Schouten (right) celebrates scoring for Cambuur during their dominant season which looked sure to end in promotion to the top flight. Photograph: Soccrates Images/Getty Images
Erik Schouten (right) celebrates scoring for Cambuur during their dominant season which looked sure to end in promotion to the top flight. Photograph: Soccrates Images/Getty Images
TT

‘This Is Horrible': Cambuur Stunned After Dream Season Turns to Dust

 Erik Schouten (right) celebrates scoring for Cambuur during their dominant season which looked sure to end in promotion to the top flight. Photograph: Soccrates Images/Getty Images
Erik Schouten (right) celebrates scoring for Cambuur during their dominant season which looked sure to end in promotion to the top flight. Photograph: Soccrates Images/Getty Images

It took only two games of the season for Erik Schouten to realize Cambuur were on to something. Nobody knew how a brand new team, which had almost entirely changed during the summer, would click but their first home fixture of 2019-20 dispelled any concerns. Go Ahead Eagles were beaten 5-0, succumbing to wave after wave of blistering raids, and a pattern for the next seven months had been emphatically set.

“That was the moment we believed everything was possible,” says Schouten, who had arrived from Volendam and was immediately made captain. “Playing attacking football, playing fast, defeating a really good side. We knew then that, if we played well, we could beat anyone.”

With very few exceptions that is exactly what Cambuur did until mid-March, when Covid-19 struck and put the Eerste Divisie – the Netherlands’ second tier – in cold storage, along with most others. At that point Cambuur’s supporters were rubbing their eyes in disbelief: the team were shattering club records for points and goals scored, packing out the stadium, topping the division and sitting 11 points clear of the play‑off places with nine games left. Promotion to the Eredivisie was nailed-on barring an extraordinary collapse and, however the riddle of completing the season was solved, nobody in their home city, Leeuwarden, had seriously contemplated anything else.

So they were stunned last Friday when the Dutch football association, the KNVB, decided to annul the season without any promotion, relegation or champions. Schouten had joined the head coach, Henk de Jong, and five of the technical staff at Cambuur’s headquarters to hear the verdict and describes an air of disbelief that, three days on, is yet to clear.

“There was a positive vibe on the day and we expected to go up,” he says. “Then we heard the decision and everyone went quiet. Nobody spoke for about 10 minutes. After about half an hour I just went home: what are you going to do? I’m still angry. It’s unbelievable that they make a decision like this.

“My teammates were all asking: ‘What’s happened here?’ They didn’t understand. We worked so hard all season for this and, in the quiet time over the last month, had thought a lot about how close we were to celebrating with our fans. We just can’t believe it.”

He is at pains to acknowledge football’s place in the wider Covid-19 crisis but the frustration of seeing so much graft go to naught cuts deep. The Cambuur managing director, Ard de Graaf, describes the ruling as “very illogical and unfair”. Both men point out that the KNVB had put the season’s fate to a vote among clubs from the top two tiers: 16 voted for promotion and relegation, nine voted against and nine abstained. With no majority, the KNVB took the decision into its own hands and pressed the reset button. De Graaf suggests they have essentially gone against their own democratic proposal.

Cambuur had pushed for the top flight to become a 20-team league, meaning they and De Graafschap would go up while RKC Waalwijk and Alan Pardew’s ADO Den Haag were spared relegation. In the end only the two strugglers have benefited and there is bemusement that, while the Eredivisie’s European places have been allocated to the existing top five according to recent Uefa guidelines, the KNVB appear to have improvised their own resolution for everyone else.

“Nobody in the country expected that they would use two different solutions,” De Graaf says. Schouten describes the situation as a “big scandal” and asks how Liverpool will feel if their status as champions-elect does not become – or is not given the opportunity to be – something more concrete. Cambuur are considering legal action and it feels like the tip of a monumental iceberg given that, for all the intentions to resume behind closed doors elsewhere, navigating to trouble-free conclusions appears the most precarious of high-wire acts.

Schouten says friends at other clubs have been in constant contact, the gist being: “It can’t be like this, you played so well.” That is the overriding sentiment although some think, albeit with considerable sympathy, that justice has been done. An executive from one Eredivisie club admits he would have been furious if placed in Cambuur’s boat but that, given the KNVB had ruled out an expansion and nothing had been mathematically decided, little else was possible and that 17th-placed ADO would have had a stronger case for complaint if they had been relegated.

He suggests no situation of this complexity will ever be seen again. For Schouten, who is 28 and yet to play in the top division, there is the added concern that such a stellar on-field campaign may be impossible to replicate. “All we can do at the moment is train for ourselves and remind each other of the good things,” he says. “But of course it’s difficult. I think the motivation to play in the second division again is a bit low right now. But, if this is the final decision, when we restart we will have to go forwards and play well again. It’s hard now, but in two or three months we will have to move on.”

That is unless Cambuur, who will receive compensation from the KNVB but still believe they risk missing out on millions, can force a reversal. “We are investigating our chances,” De Graaf says of any future court process. “We have to fight for our fans, players, staff, everybody at the club. The support we have throughout the country is huge.”

While a glimmer of light remains, Cambuur will hope to bring their expansive style to the Eredivisie for the first time since 2016 and Schouten can cling to a lifetime’s ambition. “I hope we go to the judge and win,” he says. “This is horrible. It’s been a big dream for me to play in the top division and I’m still hoping for it now.”

The Guardian Sport



PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
TT

PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz

Paris Saint-Germain coach Luis ‌Enrique hailed the mental strength of his side in coming from two goals down to win 3-2 away at Monaco in the Champions League on Tuesday, but warned the knockout round tie was far from finished.

The first leg clash between the two Ligue 1 clubs saw Folarin Balogun score twice for the hosts in the opening 18 minutes before Vitinha had his penalty saved to compound matters.

But after Desire Doue came on for injured Ousmane Dembele, the ‌match turned ‌and defending champions PSG went on to ‌secure ⁠a one-goal advantage ⁠for the return leg.

"Normally, when a team starts a match like that, the most likely outcome is a loss,” Reuters quoted Luis Enrique as saying.

“It was catastrophic. It's impossible to start a match like that. The first two times they overcame our pressure and entered our half, they scored. They ⁠made some very good plays.

“After that, it's difficult ‌to have confidence, but we ‌showed our mental strength. Plus, we missed a penalty, so ‌it was a chance to regain confidence. In the ‌last six times we've played here, this is only the second time we've won, which shows how difficult it is.”

The 20-year-old Doue scored twice and provided a third for Achraf Hakimi, just ‌days after he had turned in a poor performance against Stade Rennais last Friday ⁠and was ⁠dropped for the Monaco clash.

“I'm happy for him because this past week, everyone criticized and tore Doue apart, but he was sensational, he showed his character. He helped the team at the best possible time.”

Dembele’s injury would be assessed, the coach added. “He took a knock in the first 15 minutes, then he couldn't run.”

The return leg at the Parc des Princes will be next Wednesday. “Considering how the match started, I'm happy with the result. But the match in Paris will be difficult, it will be a different story,” Luis Enrique warned.


Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TT

Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)

Real Madrid forward Kylian Mbappe said Benfica's Gianluca Prestianni should be banned from the Champions League after the Argentine was accused of directing a racist slur at Vinicius Jr during the Spanish side's 1-0 playoff first-leg win on Tuesday.

Denying the accusation, Prestianni said the Brazilian misheard him.

The incident occurred shortly after Vinicius had curled Real into the lead five minutes into the second half in Lisbon.

Television footage showed the Argentine winger covering his mouth with his shirt before making a comment that Vinicius and nearby teammates interpreted as a racial ‌slur against ‌the 25-year-old, with referee Francois Letexier halting the match for ‌11 ⁠minutes after activating ⁠FIFA's anti-racism protocols.

The footage appeared to show an outraged Mbappe calling Prestianni "a bloody racist" to his face, Reuters reported.

The atmosphere grew hostile after play resumed, with Vinicius and Mbappe loudly booed by the home crowd whenever they touched the ball. Despite the rising tensions, the players were able to close out the game without further interruptions.

"I want to clarify that at no time did I direct racist insults to Vini Jr, ⁠who regrettably misunderstood what he thought he heard," Prestianni wrote ‌on his Instagram account.

"I was never racist with ‌anyone and I regret the threats I received from Real Madrid players."

Mbappe told reporters he ‌heard Prestianni direct the same racist remark at Vinicius several times, an allegation ‌also levelled by Real's French midfielder Aurelien Tchouamen.

Mbappe said he had been prepared to leave the pitch but was persuaded by Vinicius to continue playing.

"We cannot accept that there is a player in Europe's top football competition who behaves like this. This guy (Prestianni) doesn't ‌deserve to play in the Champions League anymore," Mbappe told reporters.

"We have to set an example for all the children ⁠watching us at ⁠home. What happened today is the kind of thing we cannot accept because the world is watching us.

When asked whether Prestianni had apologized, Mbappe laughed.

"Of course not," he said.

Vinicius later posted a statement on social media voicing his frustration.

"Racists are, above all, cowards. They need to cover their mouth with their shirt to show how weak they are. But they have the protection of others who, theoretically, have an obligation to punish them. Nothing that happened today is new in my life or my family's life," Vinicius wrote.

The Brazilian has faced repeated racist abuse in Spain, with 18 legal complaints filed against racist behavior targeting Vinicius since 2022.

Real Madrid and Benfica will meet again for the second leg next Wednesday at the Bernabeu.


Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
TT

Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)

The Kings League-Middle East announced that its second season will kick off in Riyadh on March 27.

The season will feature 10 teams, compared to eight in the inaugural edition, under a format that combines sporting competition with digital engagement and includes the participation of several content creators from across the region.

The Kings League-Middle East is organized in partnership with SURJ Sports Investments, a subsidiary of the Public Investment Fund (PIF), as part of efforts to support the development of innovative sports models that integrate football with digital entertainment.

Seven teams will return for the second season: DR7, ABO FC, FWZ, Red Zone, Turbo, Ultra Chmicha, and 3BS. Three additional teams are set to be announced before the start of the competition.

Matches of the second season will be held at Cool Arena in Riyadh under a single round-robin format, with the top-ranked teams advancing to the knockout stages, culminating in the final match.

The inaugural edition recorded strong attendance and wide digital engagement, with approximately a million viewers following the live broadcasts on television and digital platforms.