Houthi Lack of Transparency on Virus Forces WHO to Suspend Staff in 3 Yemen Provinces

Health workers take temperature and info of people riding on a truck, amid concerns of the spread of the coronavirus, at the main entrance of Sanaa, Yemen May 9, 2020. (Reuters)
Health workers take temperature and info of people riding on a truck, amid concerns of the spread of the coronavirus, at the main entrance of Sanaa, Yemen May 9, 2020. (Reuters)
TT

Houthi Lack of Transparency on Virus Forces WHO to Suspend Staff in 3 Yemen Provinces

Health workers take temperature and info of people riding on a truck, amid concerns of the spread of the coronavirus, at the main entrance of Sanaa, Yemen May 9, 2020. (Reuters)
Health workers take temperature and info of people riding on a truck, amid concerns of the spread of the coronavirus, at the main entrance of Sanaa, Yemen May 9, 2020. (Reuters)

The World Health Organization (WHO) indefinitely suspended staff activity in areas held by the Iran-backed Houthis militias in Yemen on Saturday over their insistence on concealing the actual figures of infections and fatalities from the novel coronavirus.

The directive affects the provinces of Sanaa, Ibb, Hodeidah and Saada.

The move is aimed at pressing the militias to be more transparent about suspected coronavirus cases.

“All movements, meetings or any other activity” for staff in those four areas were paused until further notice, read the directive seen by Asharq Al-Awsat.

The WHO has temporarily paused its movements in northern areas due to "credible threats and perceived risks which could have an impact on staff security", it said in response to a Reuters query, adding that operations have not been suspended.

The legitimate government has accused Houthi authorities of covering up an outbreak in Sanaa.

Infections are on the rise and local medical sources said the outbreak was spreading from Saada, the Houthi stronghold, towards Hodeidah, home to three ports on the Red Sea.

Other sources said some 60 infections were confirmed at Kuwait University Hospital alone. The facility has been dedicated to treat coronavirus patients.

Residents and medical sources revealed that the neighborhood of Sawad Hanash in northern Sanaa has now become the epicenter of the outbreak. A man had recently hidden away his son who had secretly returned to Yemen from abroad. Both have died and some 35 people they had come in contact with have been forced to isolate at home.

The local neighborhood official in Sanaa also issued a warning to the people against coming close to the homes surrounding the Khawla School for girls for their safety.

The official released the names of families that have been placed in home quarantine. Their homes are being guarded by Houthi militants. He said that the authorities will provide the families with their daily needs to avoid them leaving isolation.

One resident revealed that his uncle had passed away from the virus, revealing that several of the relatives and acquaintances he had come in contact with had contracted the disease. They have been tested and are now self-isolating at home.

The Houthi health authorities had advised residents to remain home and respect preventive measures, warning that their lives were in danger after cases were reported in Sanaa.

The Houthis had also locked down over ten neighborhoods in Sanaa to disinfect them. They raided buildings to arrest people suspected of being infected with the virus, but they have so far refused to impose a total curfew because they fear they would lose the levies they impose on various shops and businessowners.

The legitimate government, meanwhile, reported on Sunday 17 new coronavirus cases and one death, raising the total number of infections to 51 and total fatalities to eight.

The emergency coronavirus committee said on Twitter that there are ten new cases in the interim capital, Aden, three in Hadhramaut, two in Lahj and two in Taiz.



UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
TT

UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)

A drone strike on a displacement camp in Sudan killed at least 15 children earlier this week, the United Nations reported late on Wednesday.

"On Monday 16 February, at least 15 children were reportedly killed and 10 wounded after a drone strike on a displacement camp in Al Sunut, West Kordofan," the UN children's agency said in a statement.

Across the Kordofan region, currently the Sudan war's fiercest battlefield, "we are seeing the same disturbing patterns from Darfur -- children killed, injured, displaced and cut off from the services they need to survive," UNICEF's Executive Director Catherine Russell said.


MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible, following an Israeli decision to end its activities there.

In early February, Israel announced it was terminating all the activities in Gaza by the medical charity, known by its French acronym MSF, after it failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff.

MSF has slammed the move, which takes effect on March 1, as a "pretext" to obstruct aid.

"For the time being, we are still working in Gaza, and we plan to keep running our operations as long as we can," Filipe Ribeiro told AFP in Amman, but said operations were already facing challenges.

"Since the beginning of January, we are not anymore in the capacity to get international staff inside Gaza. The Israeli authorities actually denied any entry to Gaza, but also to the West Bank," he said.

Ribeiro added that MSF's ability to bring medical supplies into Gaza had also been impacted.

"They're not allowed for now, but we have some stocks in our pharmacies that will allow us to keep running operations for the time being," he said.

"We do have teams in Gaza that are still working, both national and international, and we have stocks."

In December, Israel announced it would prevent 37 aid organizations, including MSF, from working in Gaza from March 1 for failing to submit detailed information about their Palestinian employees, drawing widespread condemnation from NGOs and the United Nations.

It had alleged that two MSF employees had links with Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which the medical charity has repeatedly and vehemently denied.

MSF says it did not provide the names of its Palestinian staff because Israeli authorities offered no assurances regarding their safety.

Ribeiro warned of the massive impact the termination of MSF's operations would have for healthcare in war-shattered Gaza.

"MSF is one of the biggest actors when it comes to the health provision in Gaza and the West Bank, and if we are obliged to leave, then we will create a huge void in Gaza," he said.

The charity says it currently provides at least 20 percent of hospital beds in the territory and operates around 20 health centers.

In 2025 alone, it carried out more than 800,000 medical consultations, treated more than 100,000 trauma cases and assisted more than 10,000 infant deliveries.


Egyptian-Turkish Military Talks Focus on Strengthening Partnership

The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
TT

Egyptian-Turkish Military Talks Focus on Strengthening Partnership

The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)

Senior Egyptian and Turkish air force commanders met in Cairo on Wednesday for talks focused on strengthening military partnership and expanding bilateral cooperation, in the latest sign of warming defense ties between the two countries.

The meeting brought together the Commander of the Egyptian Air Force, Lt. Gen. Amr Saqr, and his Turkish counterpart, Gen. Ziya Cemal Kadioglu, to review a range of issues of mutual interest amid growing cooperation between the two air forces.

Egypt’s military spokesperson said the talks reflect the Armed Forces’ commitment to deepening military collaboration with friendly and partner nations.

Earlier this month, Egypt and Türkiye signed a military cooperation agreement during talks in Cairo between Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi and his Turkish counterpart, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Sisi highlighted similar viewpoints on regional and international issues, while Erdogan noted that enhanced cooperation and forthcoming joint steps would help support regional peace.

Cairo and Ankara also signed an agreement last August on the joint production of vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) drones. Production of unmanned ground vehicles has also begun under a partnership between the Turkish firm HAVELSAN and Egypt’s Kader Factory.

During the talks, Saqr underscored the importance of coordinating efforts to advance shared interests and expressed hope for closer ties that would benefit both air forces.

Kadioglu, for his part, stressed the depth of bilateral partnership and the strong foundations of cooperation between the two countries’ air forces.

According to the military spokesperson, Kadioglu also toured several Egyptian Air Force units to review the latest training and armament systems introduced in recent years.

Military cooperation between Egypt and Türkiye has gained momentum since 2023, following the restoration of full diplomatic relations and reciprocal presidential visits that reflected positively on the defense sector.

In September last year, the joint naval exercise “Sea of Friendship 2025” was held in Turkish territorial waters, aimed at enhancing joint capabilities and exchanging expertise against a range of threats.