Sudanese Activists Seek Revenge for Revolution Martyrs
The Sudanese Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok vowed to fulfill the goals of the December 2019 revolution that toppled the Islamist regime in Sudan, including the retribution for the martyrs killed on June 3rd last year, when security forces broke a sit-in next to the army leadership base.
Hamadok said in a tweet that the people revolted for their dignity, noting that they will always remember the martyrs of the Sudanese revolution.
In June 2019, which also falls on the 29th of Ramadan, 246 persons were killed and 1,356 others injured during a sit-in outside the army’s General Command when the forces attacked the peaceful activists and forcibly ended the protest, according to the doctors’ central committee.
The protesters considered breaking the sit-in a crime against unarmed persons who were seeking refuge in front of the General Command.
In 1990, the Islamist regime also committed a crime on the 29th of Ramadan, executing 28 army officers without trials. The officers’ families were not informed of their children’s burial places.
The Information Minister and government spokesman, Faisal Mohamed Saleh, said the retribution for the martyrs and their families will not be relinquished. He announced that the government and the families agreed to hold the memorial on June 3rd.
Meanwhile, hundreds of protesters and resistance committees broke the lockdown imposed during the coronavirus pandemic, and organized marches in Khartoum neighborhoods demanding justice and retribution for the martyrs.
The Sudanese Professionals Association announced in a statement that they will commemorate the occasion in a manner that suits the circumstances, vowing to continue the revolution.
Head of investigation committee on June 3 massacre, lawyer Nabil Adeeb, stressed that justice will be achieved and criminals will be punished. He said that the committee will hold those accountable for the crime from any political considerations.
The constitutional document governing the transitional period dictated the formation of a committee to investigate the sit-in massacre. It is chaired by Adeeb and includes several jurists and representatives of state institutions.
The committee was scheduled to submit its report within three months of its formation, but it extended its mission for three more months and is expected to finish within the coming weeks.
Some members of the dissolved Transitional Military Council, along with officials of the Sudanese army, are accused of being behind the attack on the protesters. However, they all denied these allegations and claimed “infiltrated forces” were behind the incident.
Witnesses confirm that the operation was carried out under the supervision of the army and its leadership.