Mismari Says LNA Will Not Talk Peace with Turkish ‘Invaders’ in Libya
Libyan National Army (LNA) spokesman Ahmed al-Mismari declared on Tuesday that the military will not hold dialogue over peace amid the deployment of Turkish forces in the country.
“We will not negotiate for peace in Libya with the Turkish invaders on our territories,” he declared.
“Dialogue will not be held with groups that have been blacklisted internationally,” he added.
The date for resuming military negotiations in Geneva has not been set yet, he said.
The United Nations' Libya mission said Tuesday the country's warring parties had agreed to restart talks aimed at reaching a lasting ceasefire, after a three-month suspension.
In a statement, UNSMIL "welcomed" moves by the LNA, commanded by Khalifa Haftar, and Government of National Accord (GNA) to accept "restarting negotiations on a ceasefire and the related security arrangements".
A military commission made up of five Haftar delegates and five GNA loyalists held talks in February, but the dialogue was suspended.
A January truce brokered by GNA backer Turkey and Russia has been repeatedly violated.
Haftar's rapid advance on Tripoli last year stalled to a bloody stalemate on the edges of the capital.
In recent weeks, GNA forces buoyed by Turkish support have taken back a string of coastal towns and a key airbase,
The UN mission urged "states backing either of the belligerents to respect what was agreed at the Berlin conference" in late January, where world leaders committed to ending all foreign meddling in Libya and to uphold a much-violated arms embargo.
UNSMIL also voiced hopes that the resumption of talks by the joint military commission would be "the start of a truce on the ground and a humanitarian truce to provide the opportunity to reach a final ceasefire deal."