Palestinian Authority Loses Ability to Control Affairs outside of Area ‘A’

Palestinian security forces operate a Bethlehem checkpoint on March 10, 2020, when the city fell under lockdown due to coronavirus. (AFP)
Palestinian security forces operate a Bethlehem checkpoint on March 10, 2020, when the city fell under lockdown due to coronavirus. (AFP)
TT
20

Palestinian Authority Loses Ability to Control Affairs outside of Area ‘A’

Palestinian security forces operate a Bethlehem checkpoint on March 10, 2020, when the city fell under lockdown due to coronavirus. (AFP)
Palestinian security forces operate a Bethlehem checkpoint on March 10, 2020, when the city fell under lockdown due to coronavirus. (AFP)

The Palestinian Authority has lost its ability to follow up on Palestinian affairs in large parts outside the area classified as “A”, after the end of security coordination with Israel.

Israel officially banned the PA from operating in Areas B and C that make up more than two-thirds of the West Bank, in response to Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas’s decision to suspend agreements in the face of the Israeli annexation plan.

Agreements between the PA and Israel divide the West Bank into three areas: Area “A” is subject to Palestinian civil and security control; Area “B” is under Palestinian civil control and Israeli security; and Area “C” is subject to Israel civil and security jurisdiction.

The Authority was operating in areas B and C with Israeli coordination, allowing Palestinian forces to complete specific tasks that are mostly related to arrests and cordoning off disputes. But as the security coordination was stopped, PA forces and officials were prevented from reaching these areas.

The official Israeli broadcasting agency, KAN, confirmed that Israel had informed the Palestinian Authority that without security and civil coordination, its officials and security personnel would not be allowed to move outside Area “A”. This would also apply if the Authority was forced to deploy its forces in a Palestinian city or village, in order to contain a clan conflict or any other problem.

The decision to prevent Palestinian officials and security forces from moving around might also include President Abbas.

KAN reported that Israel was still confused about how to act, if Abbas decided to leave Ramallah at the head of a convoy and without coordination with Israel.

It added that Israel did not want to escalate the situation so far, and has decided that it would not impose sanctions on the PA because of its decision to suspend security coordination, as long as the security services do not prevent the entry of the Israeli army into Palestinian cities and villages, and no security incidents erupt requiring security coordination.



Israeli Troops Deploy to New Corridor Across Southern Gaza

Smoke rises to the sky following Israeli bombardment in the Gaza Strip as seen from southern Israel, Friday, April 4, 2025. (AP Photo/Leo Correa)
Smoke rises to the sky following Israeli bombardment in the Gaza Strip as seen from southern Israel, Friday, April 4, 2025. (AP Photo/Leo Correa)
TT
20

Israeli Troops Deploy to New Corridor Across Southern Gaza

Smoke rises to the sky following Israeli bombardment in the Gaza Strip as seen from southern Israel, Friday, April 4, 2025. (AP Photo/Leo Correa)
Smoke rises to the sky following Israeli bombardment in the Gaza Strip as seen from southern Israel, Friday, April 4, 2025. (AP Photo/Leo Correa)

Israel said Saturday that troops have deployed to a newly established security corridor across southern Gaza to pressure the Hamas militant group.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Wednesday announced the new Morag Corridor and suggested it would cut off the southern city of Rafah, which Israel has ordered evacuated, from the rest of Gaza.
A military statement Saturday said troops with the 36th Division had been deployed in the corridor. It was not immediately clear how many had deployed or where exactly the corridor was located, The Associated Press reported. Morag is the name of a Jewish settlement that once stood between Rafah and Khan Younis, and Netanyahu suggested it would run between the cities.
Maps published by Israeli media showed the new corridor running the width of the narrow coastal strip from east to west.
Netanyahu said it would be “a second Philadelphi corridor,” referring to the Gaza side of the border with Egypt further south, which has been under Israeli control since last May.
Israel has also reasserted control over the Netzarim corridor that cuts off the northern third of Gaza, including Gaza City, from the rest of the strip. The Philadelphi and Netzarim corridors run from the Israeli border to the Mediterranean Sea.
“We are cutting up the strip, and we are increasing the pressure step by step, so that they will give us our hostages,” Netanyahu said Wednesday.
The latest announcement came shortly after a White House official confirmed that Netanyahu on Monday would again meet with President Donald Trump, their second meeting at the White House since Trump took office in January.
Last month, Israel shattered the ceasefire in Gaza with a surprise bombardment after trying to pressure Hamas to accept proposed new terms for the truce that had taken hold in January. The White House supported Israel's move.
Netanyahu’s defense minister said Israel would seize large areas of Gaza and add them to its so-called security zones.
Israel has pledged to escalate the war with Hamas until the militant group returns the remaining hostages taken in the Oct. 7, 2023, Hamas-led attack that sparked the war, disarms and leaves the territory.
Israel last month again halted all supplies of food, fuel and humanitarian aid to Gaza.