Italians Rediscover Their Museums, With No Tourists in Sight

Visitors at the Sistine Chapel on Monday, when the Vatican Museums reopened after a nearly three-month coronavirus closure.Credit...Alessandra Tarantino/Associated Press
Visitors at the Sistine Chapel on Monday, when the Vatican Museums reopened after a nearly three-month coronavirus closure.Credit...Alessandra Tarantino/Associated Press
TT

Italians Rediscover Their Museums, With No Tourists in Sight

Visitors at the Sistine Chapel on Monday, when the Vatican Museums reopened after a nearly three-month coronavirus closure.Credit...Alessandra Tarantino/Associated Press
Visitors at the Sistine Chapel on Monday, when the Vatican Museums reopened after a nearly three-month coronavirus closure.Credit...Alessandra Tarantino/Associated Press

There was no red carpet, but even so, a cadre of photographers snapped frenziedly as the objects of their attention — the first visitors to the Vatican Museums when they reopened on Monday after the coronavirus lockdown — squirmed in the unexpected spotlight.

With travel between Italian regions restricted until Tuesday, it was a local lineup, ready to experience what many Romans dream of: a tourist-free visit to one of the world’s greatest — and most popular — museums, which last year drew nearly seven million visitors.

Though she lives in Rome, Simona Toti, a statistician, said she hadn’t seen the Sistine Chapel for years “because of the mobs.”

While online reservations have shortened the mile-long queue that once snaked along the walls of Vatican City to the museum entrance, many Rome residents are still daunted by the crowds, and the crowding. “Normally it’s so packed that you just can’t appreciate anything,” Ms. Toti said.

“For once, living in Rome is not a handicap,” she said.

Across town, at the Colosseum, which also reopened Monday, Margherita Blaconà and her teenage daughter Asia were enjoying a tourist-free tour as part of a 45-minute visit of the amphitheater, which now permits only 14 people to enter every 15 minutes.

Venice Glimpses a Future With Fewer Tourists, and Likes What It SeesJune 3, 2020

The same throngs that make the Colosseum Italy’s most visited monument, with more than 7.5 million visitors last year, are the reason that most locals give it a wide berth. “The queues, the people. It’s impossible,” said Ms. Blaconà, who hadn’t been to the Colosseum since she was in elementary school. “We’re going to profit from the lack of tourists these days and see other sites,” she said.

But while locals were keen to reclaim Italy’s monuments, the directors of many cultural institutions were worried about the loss of much-needed revenue from ticket sales.

“It’s a disaster, obviously,” said Massimo Osanna, the director of the Pompeii archaeological site, which drew nearly four million visitors last year, including 40,000 on one day in May.

Until next Tuesday, entrance at the site is capped at 400 visitors a day. Mr. Osanna said that last Thursday only 250 people had visited the site. “It was like being in a surrealist painting,” he said.

“The budget we reached last year will not be imaginable this year, so we won’t be able to carry out many of the projects we had planned,” Mr. Osanna said. “Now we’re focused on things that can’t be postponed, like ordinary maintenance.”

In an interview, Anna Coliva, the director of the Borghese Gallery, also used the word “disaster” to describe the loss of revenue at the gallery, which can now allow 400 visitors a day instead of 2,000. “We’re losing 500,000 euros a month in ticket sales, events and royalties,” said Ms. Coliva, who will retire this month after more than a quarter century at the gallery.

The coming months were going to be tough for MAXXI, Italy’s national museum of contemporary art, said the president of its foundation, Giovanna Melandri. “The damage is huge,” she said Tuesday, speaking of the lockdown that deprived the museum, and many Italians, of their livelihoods.

At the Uffizi in Florence, which opened Wednesday, black dots have been glued to the floor in front of the museum’s heaviest hitters — works by Botticelli, Piero della Francesca, Michelangelo, Raphael and Caravaggio — to ensure that people maintain social distancing. The gallery has halved the number of people who can visit at any time, to 450 from 900, and capped guided tours at 10 people.

At a news conference on Wednesday, Eike Schmidt, the Uffizi’s director, said, “It would be wonderful if the model of relaxed tourism that we are experimenting at the Uffizi in this particular historical moment become the model for tourism in the future.”

The Uffizi had lost 12 million euros, around $13.5 million, during the 85 days it was closed, he told reporters in Florence.

With a maximum of 20,000 visitors per day at the Colosseum in pre-coronavirus times, the current cap of 650 made visiting the site refreshingly relaxing on Monday. Colosseum officials were happy that a “slow, more aware sort of tourism” would allow the monument to reopen “on the right foot,” said Alfonsina Russo, the state official who oversees the monument and other archaeological sites in downtown Rome.

Normally, she said, the Colosseum — “a symbol of Italy and of Rome” — is “besieged by tourists” who “weren’t always aware of what they were visiting.”

But as the site’s revenues account for a chunk of financing for other monuments, their absence will be a big loss, said Federica Rinaldi, the state official responsible for the amphitheater.

To say that the Vatican Museums are normally besieged by tourists is an understatement. Barbara Jatta, the director, said that some days as many as 29,000 have filed through the doors compared with the few hundred they are allowing in every hour. “Now, we are missing the crowds,” she said.

The museum’s coffers had suffered, she said, not only for lost ticket and trinket sales but also because the Vatican had refunded thousands of tickets booked for 2020.

To commemorate the 500th anniversary this year of Raphael’s death, new lighting was installed in the room housing the famed tapestries based on his cartoons. The room was set to be inaugurated on April 20, during a symposium on the artist, when the museum also planned to unveil the recently restored Hall of Constantine, which visitors saw in its refreshed guise Monday.

On Monday, the Campbell family, Swiss residents who have lived in Rome for the past three years, were among the 30 people gaping at the Sistine Chapel, normally so crowded that guards spend most of their time shushing sardine-packed visitors.

“It’s amazing,” said Franziska Campbell, the mother. She said that when a friend from Switzerland had visited last summer, she’d been pushed through so quickly she hadn’t had time to see the famed fresco of the creation of Adam and had to come back.

“We’re seeing Rome as no one normally sees it, everything is tourist free,” said Valerie Chambert, a nuclear physicist who lives in Rome, after finishing her Vatican visit. “It’s a pity for the hotels and the restaurants, but for us it is great,” she said.

The New York Times



17th Century Wreck Reappears from Stockholm Deep

The remains of a 17th century shipwreck is pictured after resurfacing in Stockholm, Sweden, on February 17, 2026. (Photo by Jonathan NACKSTRAND / AFP)
The remains of a 17th century shipwreck is pictured after resurfacing in Stockholm, Sweden, on February 17, 2026. (Photo by Jonathan NACKSTRAND / AFP)
TT

17th Century Wreck Reappears from Stockholm Deep

The remains of a 17th century shipwreck is pictured after resurfacing in Stockholm, Sweden, on February 17, 2026. (Photo by Jonathan NACKSTRAND / AFP)
The remains of a 17th century shipwreck is pictured after resurfacing in Stockholm, Sweden, on February 17, 2026. (Photo by Jonathan NACKSTRAND / AFP)

A 17th century Swedish Navy shipwreck buried underwater in central Stockholm for 400 years has suddenly become visible due to unusually low Baltic Sea levels.

The wooden planks of the ship's well-preserved hull have since early February been peeking out above the surface of the water off the island of Kastellholmen, providing a clear picture of its skeleton.

"We have a shipwreck here, which was sunk on purpose by the Swedish Navy," Jim Hansson, a marine archeologist at Stockholm's Vrak - Museum of Wrecks, told AFP.

Hansson said experts believe that after serving in the navy, the ship was sunk around 1640 to use as a foundation for a new bridge to the island of Kastellholmen.

Archeologists have yet to identify the exact ship, as it is one of five similar wrecks lined up in the same area to form the bridge, all dating from the late 16th and early 17th centuries.

"This is a solution, instead of using new wood you can use the hull itself, which is oak" to build the bridge, Hansson said.

"We don't have shipworm here in the Baltic that eats the wood, so it lasts, as you see, for 400 years," he said, standing in front of the wreck.

Parts of the ship had already broken the surface in 2013, but never before has it been as visible as it is now, as the waters of the Baltic Sea reach their lowest level in about 100 years, according to the archaeologist.

"There has been a really long period of high pressure here around our area in the Nordics. So the water from the Baltic has been pushed out to the North Sea and the Atlantic," Hansson explained.

A research program dubbed "the Lost Navy" is underway to identify and precisely date the large number of Swedish naval shipwrecks lying on the bottom of the Baltic.


China Has Slashed Air Pollution, but the ‘War’ Isn’t Over 

This picture taken on February 11, 2026 shows pedestrians walking along an overpass as traffic snarls in Beijing. (AFP)
This picture taken on February 11, 2026 shows pedestrians walking along an overpass as traffic snarls in Beijing. (AFP)
TT

China Has Slashed Air Pollution, but the ‘War’ Isn’t Over 

This picture taken on February 11, 2026 shows pedestrians walking along an overpass as traffic snarls in Beijing. (AFP)
This picture taken on February 11, 2026 shows pedestrians walking along an overpass as traffic snarls in Beijing. (AFP)

Fifteen years ago, Beijing's Liangma riverbanks would have been smog-choked and deserted in winter, but these days they are dotted with families and exercising pensioners most mornings.

The turnaround is the result of a years-long campaign that threw China's state power behind policies like moving factories and electrifying vehicles, to improve some of the world's worst air quality.

Pollution levels in many Chinese cities still top the World Health Organization's (WHO) limits, but they have fallen dramatically since the "airpocalypse" days of the past.

"It used to be really bad," said Zhao, 83, soaking up the sun by the river with friends.

"Back then when there was smog, I wouldn't come out," she told AFP, declining to give her full name.

These days though, the air is "very fresh".

Since 2013, levels of PM2.5 -- small particulate that can enter the lungs and bloodstream -- have fallen 69.8 percent, Beijing municipality said in January.

Particulate pollution fell 41 percent nationwide in the decade from 2014, and average life expectancy has increased 1.8 years, according to the University of Chicago's Air Quality Life Index (AQLI).

China's rapid development and heavy coal use saw air quality decline dramatically by the 2000s, especially when cold winter weather trapped pollutants close to the ground.

There were early attempts to tackle the issue, including installing desulphurization technology at coal power plants, while factory shutdowns and traffic control improved the air quality for events like the 2008 Olympics.

But the impact was short-lived, and the problem worsened.

- Action plan -

Public awareness grew, heightened by factors like the US embassy in Beijing making monitoring data public.

By 2013, several international schools had installed giant inflatable domes around sport facilities to protect students.

That year, multiple episodes of prolonged haze shrouded Chinese cities, with one in October bringing northeastern Harbin to a standstill for days as PM2.5 levels hit 40 times the WHO's then-recommended standard.

The phrase "I'm holding your hand, but I can't see your face" took off online.

Later that year, an eight-year-old became the country's youngest lung cancer patient, with doctors directly blaming pollution.

As concerns mounted, China's ruling Communist Party released a ten-point action plan, declaring "a war against pollution".

It led to expanded monitoring, improved factory technology and the closure or relocation of coal plants and mines.

In big cities, vehicles were restricted and the groundwork was laid for widespread electrification.

For the first time, "quantitative air quality improvement goals for key regions within a clear time limit" were set, a 2016 study noted.

These targets were "the most important measure", said Bluetech Clean Air Alliance director Tonny Xie, whose non-profit worked with the government on the plan.

"At that time, there were a lot of debates about whether we can achieve it, because (they were) very ambitious," he told AFP.

The policy targeted several key regions, where PM2.5 levels fell rapidly between 2013 and 2017, and the approach was expanded nationwide afterwards.

"Everybody, I think, would agree that this is a miracle that was achieved in China," Xie said.

China's success is "entirely" responsible for a decline in global pollution since 2014, AQLI said last summer.

- 'Low-hanging fruits' gone -

Still, in much of China the air remains dangerous to breathe by WHO standards.

This winter, Chinese cities, including financial hub Shanghai, were regularly among the world's twenty most polluted on monitoring site IQAir.

Linda Li, a running coach who has lived in both Beijing and Shanghai, said air quality has improved, but she still loses up to seven running days to pollution in a good month.

A top environment official last year said China aimed to "basically eliminate severe air pollution by 2025", but the government did not respond when AFP asked if that goal had been met.

Official 2025 data found nationwide average PM2.5 concentrations decreased 4.4 percent on-year.

Eighty-eight percent of days featured "good" air quality.

However, China's current definition of "good" is PM2.5 levels of under 35 micrograms per cubic meter, significantly higher than the WHO's recommended five micrograms.

China wants to tighten the standard to 25 by 2035.

The last five years have also seen pollution reduction slow.

The "low-hanging fruits" are gone, said Chengcheng Qiu from the Center for Research on Energy and Clean Air (CREA).

Qiu's research suggests pollution is shifting west as heavy industry relocates to regions like Xinjiang, and that some cities in China have seen double-digit percentage increases in PM2.5 in the last five years.

"They can't just stop all industrial production. They need to find cleaner ways to produce the output," Qiu said.

There is hope for that, given China's status as a renewable energy powerhouse, with coal generation falling in 2025.

"Cleaner air ultimately rests on one clear direction," said Qiu.

"Move beyond fossil fuels and let clean energy power the next stage of development."


Sydney Man Jailed for Mailing Reptiles in Popcorn Bags 

Investigators recovered 101 Australian reptiles from parcels destined for Hong Kong, South Korea, Sri Lanka and Romania. (AFP file)
Investigators recovered 101 Australian reptiles from parcels destined for Hong Kong, South Korea, Sri Lanka and Romania. (AFP file)
TT

Sydney Man Jailed for Mailing Reptiles in Popcorn Bags 

Investigators recovered 101 Australian reptiles from parcels destined for Hong Kong, South Korea, Sri Lanka and Romania. (AFP file)
Investigators recovered 101 Australian reptiles from parcels destined for Hong Kong, South Korea, Sri Lanka and Romania. (AFP file)

A Sydney man who tried to post native lizards, dragons and other reptiles out of Australia in bags of popcorn and biscuit tins has been sentenced to eight years in jail, authorities said Tuesday.

The eight-year term handed down on Friday was a record for wildlife smuggling, federal environment officials said.

A district court in Sydney gave the man, 61-year-old Neil Simpson, a non-parole period of five years and four months.

Investigators recovered 101 Australian reptiles from seized parcels destined for Hong Kong, South Korea, Sri Lanka and Romania, the officials said in a statement.

The animals -- including shingleback lizards, western blue-tongue lizards, bearded dragons and southern pygmy spiny-tailed skinks -- were posted in 15 packages between 2018 and 2023.

"Lizards, skinks and dragons were secured in calico bags. These bags were concealed in bags of popcorn, biscuit tins and a women's handbag and placed inside cardboard boxes," the statement said.

The smuggler had attempted to get others to post the animals on his behalf but was identified by government investigators and the New South Wales police, it added.

Three other people were convicted for taking part in the crime.

The New South Wales government's environment department said that "the illegal wildlife trade is not a victimless crime", harming conservation and stripping the state "and Australia of its unique biodiversity".