Lebanon Averts Sectarian Strife as Opposition Accuses Aoun of Failing to Ease Tensions

Security forces fired tear gas and rubber bullets to disperse rock-throwing demonstrators. (Reuters)
Security forces fired tear gas and rubber bullets to disperse rock-throwing demonstrators. (Reuters)
TT

Lebanon Averts Sectarian Strife as Opposition Accuses Aoun of Failing to Ease Tensions

Security forces fired tear gas and rubber bullets to disperse rock-throwing demonstrators. (Reuters)
Security forces fired tear gas and rubber bullets to disperse rock-throwing demonstrators. (Reuters)

Lebanon averted over the weekend sectarian strife that would have pitted some neighborhoods of West Beirut against the southern suburbs of the capital, a Hezbollah stronghold.

Saturday witnessed anti-government protests that soon turned sectarian when “undisciplined” demonstrators, estimated in the hundreds, began making provocative religious and sectarian chants. That resulted in scuffles between the protesters and supporters of the Shiite Hezbollah party and Amal Movement, of parliament Speaker Nabih Berri.

The situation could have spiraled out of control without the quick thinking of Islamic and political leaders, who soon denounced the protesters. The army and Internal Security Forces were also quick to intervene by deploying along hotspots and preventing further scuffles between the rivals.

Anti-government protests that had erupted in Lebanon in October 2019 had been calling for political change and holding to account officials who had led the country to its worst economic crisis in decades. New over the weekend’s rallies were demands for the implementation of United Nations Security Council resolution 1559 and the disarmament of Hezbollah, the only party that did not lay down its weapons after the 1975-90 Lebanese civil war.

Saturday’s political demands were a departure from the anti-government demonstrators’ typical calls for fighting corruption and improving living conditions. The rallies soon turned violent with the “undisciplined” elements vandalizing public and private property and scuffling with Hezbollah and Amal supporters. What started as a protest in downtown Beirut soon spread to the Corniche al-Mazraa district, where battle lines were drawn with the Barbour area, where Berri used to live before he was elected parliament speaker.

Ultimately, Saturday’s unrest damaged the anti-government protests, which were originally hailed for transcending confessional divides. The sectarian nature of the weekend’s developments demands that the protesters review and reassess their movement, which has been veered off its original course after it was “infiltrated” by political groups that have scores to settle with Hezbollah and its supporters.

The protesters were not the only side to blame for the unrest. The “undisciplined” supporters of Hezbollah and Amal, who had streamed into downtown Beirut to confront the protesters from their nearby Khandaq al-Ghamiq stronghold, are also to blame for allowing rival rallies to gather and direct messages against the party.

These “undisciplined” supporters have in turn embarrassed their Hezbollah and Amal leaderships, prompting Berri and head of the Higher Islamic Shiite Council to intervene and avert the strife. Dar al-Fatwa, former Prime Minister Saad Hariri and other leaderships also took action to stem the violence.

President to blame
A prominent opposition source told Asharq Al-Awsat that it was “unnecessary” to “sectarianize” the dispute over Hezbollah’s weapons, seeing as it is a point of contention among many political parties regardless of their sectarian affiliations.

It said that Sunni leaderships, starting with Hariri, are keen on averting sectarian strife and blocking attempts to return Sunni-Shiite ties back to square one.

Most importantly, the source wondered at the role of the presidency in preventing strife and avoiding fueling tensions among Sunni circles. Such tensions cannot be tackled with media and sensational statements, but with tangible steps.

Whoever truly wants to safeguard coexistence and ensure the rise of a civil state does not form a government that keeps out a main Sunni component in the country, it remarked. It noted that even though current PM Hassan Diab heads a government of technocrats, the ministers are really controlled by the political and sectarian leaders who appointed them.

President Michel Aoun is to blame for failing to ensure fair representation in cabinet, said the source. He noted how the president soon abandoned his call for the formation of a technopolitical government, which he had imposed on Hariri to accept his naming as PM, in favor of the formation of a technocrat cabinet, which Hariri had called for, but headed by Diab.

The “Shiite duo” of Hezbollah and Amal could have objected to this, but accepted it for yet undisclosed reasons, continued the source.

Whoever wants to contain the tensions should not support campaigns that target the political performance of the Hariri family during the past three decades and does not appoint a prime minister – Diab – who barely has any political credentials, stressed the source.

Even though the Shiite duo will address the sectarian tensions with Sunni leaderships, this does not exempt Aoun, in his capacity as president, from assuming his responsibilities, especially since he was the one who proposed the current government.

Instead of forming a national unity government, Aoun approved a cabinet that suits Hezbollah and its allies, namely the Free Patriotic Movement, which he founded and is now headed by his son-in-law MP Gebran Bassil, but is incapable of handling challenges.



UN Says It Risks Halting Somalia Aid Due to Funding Cuts 

A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

UN Says It Risks Halting Somalia Aid Due to Funding Cuts 

A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)

The UN's World Food Program (WFP) warned Friday it would have to stop humanitarian assistance in Somalia by April if it did not receive new funding.

The Rome-based agency said it had already been forced to reduce the number of people receiving emergency food assistance from 2.2 million in early 2025 to just over 600,000 today.

"Without immediate funding, WFP will be forced to halt humanitarian assistance by April," it said in a statement.

In early January, the United States suspended aid to Somalia over reports of theft and government interference, following the destruction of a US-funded WFP warehouse in the capital Mogadishu's port.

The US announced a resumption of WFP food distribution on January 29.

However, all UN agencies have warned of serious funding shortfalls since Washington began slashing aid across the world following President Donald Trump's return to the White House last year.

"The situation is deteriorating at an alarming rate," said Ross Smith, WFP Director of Emergency Preparedness and Response, in Friday's statement.

"Families have lost everything, and many are already being pushed to the brink. Without immediate emergency food support, conditions will worsen quickly.

"We are at the cusp of a decisive moment; without urgent action, we may be unable to reach the most vulnerable in time, most of them women and children."

Some 4.4 million people in Somalia are facing crisis-levels of food insecurity, according to the WFP, the largest humanitarian agency in the country.

The Horn of Africa country has been plagued by conflict and also suffered two consecutive failed rainy seasons.


Hamas Says Path for Gaza Must Begin with End to ‘Aggression’ 

Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Hamas Says Path for Gaza Must Begin with End to ‘Aggression’ 

Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)

Discussions on Gaza's future must begin with a total halt to Israeli "aggression", the Palestinian movement Hamas said after US President Donald Trump's Board of Peace met for the first time.

"Any political process or any arrangement under discussion concerning the Gaza Strip and the future of our Palestinian people must start with the total halt of aggression, the lifting of the blockade, and the guarantee of our people's legitimate national rights, first and foremost their right to freedom and self-determination," Hamas said in a statement Thursday.

Trump's board met for its inaugural session in Washington on Thursday, with a number of countries pledging money and personnel to rebuild the Palestinian territory, more than four months into a fragile ceasefire between Israel and Hamas.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has insisted however that Hamas must disarm before any reconstruction begins.

"We agreed with our ally the US that there will be no reconstruction of Gaza before the demilitarization of Gaza," Netanyahu said.

The Israeli leader did not attend the Washington meeting but was represented by his foreign minister Gideon Saar.

Trump said several countries had pledged more than seven billion dollars to rebuild the territory.

Muslim-majority Indonesia will take a deputy commander role in a nascent International Stabilization Force, the unit's American chief Major General Jasper Jeffers said.

Trump, whose plan for Gaza was endorsed by the UN Security Council in November, also said five countries had committed to providing troops, including Morocco, Kazakhstan, Kosovo and Albania.


Official Contacts Aim to Keep Lebanon out of War on Iran as Israel Raises Readiness on Northern Front 

This photograph shows a memorial for slain Lebanese Hezbollah longtime leader Hassan Nasrallah at the entrance of the southern village of Qannarit on February 16, 2026. (AFP)
This photograph shows a memorial for slain Lebanese Hezbollah longtime leader Hassan Nasrallah at the entrance of the southern village of Qannarit on February 16, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Official Contacts Aim to Keep Lebanon out of War on Iran as Israel Raises Readiness on Northern Front 

This photograph shows a memorial for slain Lebanese Hezbollah longtime leader Hassan Nasrallah at the entrance of the southern village of Qannarit on February 16, 2026. (AFP)
This photograph shows a memorial for slain Lebanese Hezbollah longtime leader Hassan Nasrallah at the entrance of the southern village of Qannarit on February 16, 2026. (AFP)

Israel has raised the alert level of its military along the border with Lebanon, raising questions that Lebanon’s south may again be involved in a regional confrontation should the US attack Iran.

Given the heightened tensions between the US and Iran, questions have been asked over whether Hezbollah will become involved in a new war. Its Secretary-General Sheikh Naim Qassem had recently announced that the party will not remain on the side if Iran is attacked.

On the ground, Israel blew up houses in southern Lebanon border towns and carried out air strikes in the south. Israeli military spokesman Avichay Adraee said the raids targeted “Hezbollah infrastructure,” including arms caches and rocket launchers.

Their presence in the south is a violation of current agreements, he added.

Amid the high regional tensions, Israel’s Maariv quoted a military source as saying that the army has come up with plans, including a preemptive strike against Hezbollah, which would drag the south and the whole of Lebanon into a new war.

Ministerial sources told Asharq Al-Awsat that the presidency has been carrying out internal and foreign contacts since Thursday morning to keep Lebanon out of any escalation.

Hezbollah had launched a “support front” war against Israel a day after Hamas’ October 7, 2023 attack. In 2024, the war spiraled into an all-out conflict, with Israel decimating the Hezbollah leadership and severely weakening the party.

Israel believes that Hezbollah has been rebuilding its capabilities since the ceasefire that was struck in November 2024.

Kassim Kassir, a political analyst who is close to Hezbollah, told Asharq Al-Awsat: “No one knows what Hezbollah will do because the situation is tied the extent of the attack, should it happen.”

He noted that Qassem was ambiguous when he said the party will decide what to do when the time is right, but at any rate, he stressed that the party will not remain on the sidelines or abandon Iran.

“No one knows what Hezbollah’s abilities are, so everything is possible,” Kassir said.

Riad Kahwaji, a security and defense affairs expert, said he does not rule out the possibility that Hezbollah would join the war should the US attack Iran.

Speaking to Asharq Al-Awsat, he stressed that Iran is now the United States’ main target, when previously it used to confront its proxies.

It has now taken the fight directly to the heart of the problem, which is the Iranian regime, he remarked.

The extent of the military mobilization in the region and the frequent American statements about regime change all indicate that a major military operation may be imminent, he added.

Israel’s military also favors preemptive operations, so it is watching Hezbollah, which remains Iran’s most powerful regional proxy despite the blows it received in 2024 war, Kahwaji said.

Hezbollah still possesses a rocket arsenal that can threaten Israel, he remarked.

Israel’s high level of alert on the border with Lebanon could be in readiness for any development. Should Tel Aviv receive word from Washington that it intends to attack Iran, then it could launch operations against Hezbollah as part of preemptive strikes aimed at preventing the party from launching attacks against it, Kahwaji said.

“As long as Hezbollah possesses heavy weapons, such as rockets, and drones, that it has not handed over to the army, then Lebanon will continue to be vulnerable to attacks in the next confrontation. It will be exposed to Israeli strikes as long as this issue remains unresolved,” he added.