Timo Werner Signing Shows Chelsea Mean Business – and They Are Not Done

Timo Werner | Photo: Reuters
Timo Werner | Photo: Reuters
TT

Timo Werner Signing Shows Chelsea Mean Business – and They Are Not Done

Timo Werner | Photo: Reuters
Timo Werner | Photo: Reuters

As statements of intent go Chelsea’s signing of Timo Werner from RB Leipzig, confirmed on Thursday, is the clearest signal yet of their determination to rub shoulders with Europe’s elite again. A striker coveted by Bayern Munich and Liverpool will be wearing a blue shirt next season and, while Frank Lampard’s side still have to make sure they can offer their newest addition Champions League football, it is hard not to feel that Chelsea’s ruthless touch is returning after a tepid few years in the transfer market.

The mood has changed. Six months ago Lampard cut a frustrated figure. He made it clear he wanted attacking reinforcements after Chelsea’s transfer embargo was halved in December and struggled to hide his disappointment when nobody arrived in January. A team low on creative inspiration following the sale of Eden Hazard to Real Madrid last summer needed an injection of class and Lampard’s concerns looked justified when Bayern won 3-0 at Stamford Bridge in February.

Chelsea have not made it past the last 16 of the Champions League since 2014 and are unlikely to improve that record when they visit Bayern for the second leg in August. Even so the growing sense is of a club on the up again, with the recruitment department and the head coach on the same wavelength and Roman Abramovich willing to provide funds to land key targets. Shortly after that quiet deadline day Chelsea agreed a £37m deal to sign Hakim Ziyech from Ajax in the summer and now they have pulled off another coup, sharpening their attack after winning the race for Werner.

“It is a very proud moment for me to be joining this great club,” Werner told Chelsea’s website, which said he would link up with the squad in July, subject to a medical. That means, as anticipated, he will not play in the Champions League for Leipzig. Werner predicted “a very successful future” at Stamford Bridge.

Whereas Bayern and Liverpool dithered, Chelsea pounced. They have paid £47.5m for Werner and, with the coronavirus pandemic potentially affecting budgets at other clubs, see an opportunity to make some decisive leaps. They have not used the £105m received for Hazard, Atlético Madrid are due to spend £48.5m to make Álvaro Morata’s loan permanent and further sales could boost the budget. All being well more new faces will follow Werner and Ziyech. Lampard wants Kai Havertz – a tricky one to pull off given that Bayer Leverkusen want at least €100m (£90m) for the 21-year-old winger – and likes the Leicester City left-back Ben Chilwell.

It could come down to choosing between Havertz and Chilwell. Both will be costly. Leicester are tough negotiators and although Chilwell fancies the move, Ajax’s Nicolás Tagliafico and Porto’s Alex Telles are cheaper alternatives at left-back.

The most inexperienced manager in the Premier League has made some shrewd moves so far. He was wise to move on quickly after venting on 31 January and has protected his relationship with Marina Granovskaia, the powerful director. He played a key role in landing Ziyech, the gifted Moroccan playmaker, and also laid on the charm when it came to nabbing Werner, whose 32 goals in all competitions this season mark him out as one of the finest forwards in Europe.

Ziyech has said Lampard bombarded him with texts to convince him to join, an approach that Werner will recognize. Before lockdown Lampard and Petr Cech, appointed as the club’s technical and performance adviser last summer, met Werner in Germany. They laid out their plans and struck up a rapport with the 24-year-old.

Sources have said Cech has been heavily involved in the deal. Cech and Lampard, teammates for a decade, combined to convince Werner. After a season of frustration in the final third, Chelsea have their marquee forward – a player capable of playing through the middle or on the left, with the ability to operate alone or in a two, and the awareness to take and create chances. Although they could do with more oomph in central defense, there is no doubt that buying Werner is a step in the right direction.

The German’s versatility will allow him allow him to play as a lone forward or work in tandem with Tammy Abraham or Olivier Giroud, and he keeps going when he misses chances. Werner comes back for more – no doubt there will be plenty of opportunities with Ziyech in midfield – and his determination to hit the ground running can be seen in his willingness to move to London in July and miss Leipzig’s Champions League quarter-final.

It is a coup for Lampard, who inherited a squad in need of renewal last summer. He has given the kids a chance but Chelsea need more conviction. Although they have impressive options in central midfield, an overhaul is overdue in other positions. Willian and Pedro, both of whom are out of contract on 30 June, are coming to the end. There are doubts over Ross Barkley, Marcos Alonso, Jorginho, Emerson Palmieri, and Michy Batshuayi. Tiémoué Bakayoko, a dud signing, has no future at the club.

Chelsea must work hard to catch Liverpool and Manchester City at the top of the league. Callum Hudson-Odoi and Christian Pulisic, young wingers with potential, are unproven. Mason Mount is learning and Ruben Loftus-Cheek is on his way back from a serious injury. Lampard should not settle if there are big deals to be done. Havertz, a target for Bayern, Madrid, Liverpool and United, would enhance his side’s threat.

Do not rule out Havertz. Chelsea mean business. They have short-term targets to meet, a place in the top four to protect, but Lampard wants trophies. The spending is unlikely to stop with Werner.

(The Guardian)



Former F1 Champion Alain Prost Reportedly Injured as Police Investigate Robbery at Family Home

(FILES) Retired French F1 racing driver and Renault special advisor Alain Prost arrives to attend the funeral of late French racing driver Anthoine Hubert into Chartres' cathedral, on September 10, 2019. (Photo by JEAN-FRANCOIS MONIER / AFP)
(FILES) Retired French F1 racing driver and Renault special advisor Alain Prost arrives to attend the funeral of late French racing driver Anthoine Hubert into Chartres' cathedral, on September 10, 2019. (Photo by JEAN-FRANCOIS MONIER / AFP)
TT

Former F1 Champion Alain Prost Reportedly Injured as Police Investigate Robbery at Family Home

(FILES) Retired French F1 racing driver and Renault special advisor Alain Prost arrives to attend the funeral of late French racing driver Anthoine Hubert into Chartres' cathedral, on September 10, 2019. (Photo by JEAN-FRANCOIS MONIER / AFP)
(FILES) Retired French F1 racing driver and Renault special advisor Alain Prost arrives to attend the funeral of late French racing driver Anthoine Hubert into Chartres' cathedral, on September 10, 2019. (Photo by JEAN-FRANCOIS MONIER / AFP)

Swiss police are investigating an alleged robbery amid reports that four-time Formula 1 world champion Alain Prost was injured during a home invasion.

Swiss tabloid Blick reported late Friday that the 71-year-old Prost sustained a head injury from intruders who forced his son to open a safe during the incident Tuesday morning.

“The perpetrators entered the residence while the occupants were present, threatened them, and forced one family member to open a safe before fleeing with the stolen goods,” the public prosecutor’s office said in a statement. “Despite the extensive search operation launched, the perpetrators have not yet been apprehended at this stage,” The AP news reported.

The police, who did not name the victim, said “several” balaclava-wearing intruders “broke into the house. Once inside, they threatened the occupants and inflicted minor head injuries upon one family member, under circumstances that remain to be established. The perpetrators then forced another family member to open a safe before making their escape with stolen items, a precise inventory of which is currently being compiled.”

Blick reported that Prost, who won four world championships between 1985-1993, was “visibly shaken by this brutal intrusion” and that he's left the home in Nyon beside Lake Geneva in the Swiss canton of Vaud.


Spurs Sweat over Premier League Survival as Salah, Guardiola Say Goodbye

25 April 2026, United Kingdom, Liverpool: Liverpool's Mohamed Salah applauds the fans as he is substituted during the English Premier League soccer match between Liverpool and Crystal Palace at Anfield. Photo: Peter Byrne/PA Wire/dpa
25 April 2026, United Kingdom, Liverpool: Liverpool's Mohamed Salah applauds the fans as he is substituted during the English Premier League soccer match between Liverpool and Crystal Palace at Anfield. Photo: Peter Byrne/PA Wire/dpa
TT

Spurs Sweat over Premier League Survival as Salah, Guardiola Say Goodbye

25 April 2026, United Kingdom, Liverpool: Liverpool's Mohamed Salah applauds the fans as he is substituted during the English Premier League soccer match between Liverpool and Crystal Palace at Anfield. Photo: Peter Byrne/PA Wire/dpa
25 April 2026, United Kingdom, Liverpool: Liverpool's Mohamed Salah applauds the fans as he is substituted during the English Premier League soccer match between Liverpool and Crystal Palace at Anfield. Photo: Peter Byrne/PA Wire/dpa

Tottenham must avoid defeat against Everton on Sunday to guarantee their place in the Premier League next season as Pep Guardiola and Mohamed Salah prepare for emotional farewells.

Liverpool and Bournemouth could both secure places in the Champions League, while European football is also on the line for Brighton, Brentford, Chelsea and Sunderland.

Spurs 'dignity' at stake

According to AFP, this time last year Tottenham fans were basking in the glow of a first trophy for 17 years after beating Manchester United to lift the Europa League.

Head coach Roberto De Zerbi believes the visit of Everton dwarfs the importance of that victory, with Premier League survival at stake.

"There is something more important than the trophy and the bonus," he said. "There is the future of the club, there is the history of the club, there is the pride of the players, there is the pride of the families of the players.

"There is the dignity of every one of us."

A point will be enough to secure survival and relegate West Ham due to Tottenham's vastly superior goal difference.

But Spurs have already lost 10 of their 18 home league games this season and another defeat would open the door to Nuno Espirito Santo's Hammers, if they can beat Leeds.

Battle for Europe

Liverpool should ensure a terrible season does not end on a fresh low note by securing a top-five finish in Mohamed Salah's farewell to Anfield.

Finishing in the top five would ensure Champions League football next season -- a consolation prize after a shocking title defence.

Egypt international Salah criticised Liverpool's performances under Arne Slot this season after last week's 4-2 defeat at Aston Villa.

"I want to see Liverpool go back to being the heavy metal attacking team that opponents fear and back to being a team that wins trophies," he said in a social media post, pointedly referring to the football played under Slot's predecessor Jurgen Klopp.

"Qualifying to next season's Champions League is the bare minimum and I will do everything I can to make that happen," he added.

Liverpool, who host Brentford, have a three-point lead and a six-goal cushion on goal difference over sixth-placed Bournemouth.

Sixth could be enough to qualify for the Champions League if Liverpool win and leapfrog Aston Villa, who travel to Manchester City, into fifth spot.

As it stands, the sixth and seventh-placed teams would go into the Europa League and the eighth would qualify for the Conference League, AFP reported.

Brighton would be guaranteed at least Europa League football with victory over Manchester United.

Sunderland host Chelsea with a chance of qualifying for continental competition for the first time in more than half a century.

Premier League greats depart

Mohamed Salah's outburst gives Arne Slot a tough decision to make on whether to start the 33-year-old, who has only recently returned from a hamstring injury.

The already unpopular coach risks infuriating the Liverpool fans even further if he does not give the man they christened "The Egyptian King" one last run out in front of the Kop.

With increasing speculation over his future, Slot can ill afford to let any personal issues with Salah get in the way of finishing the season on a high.

Liverpool have failed to win any of the nine league games that Salah has not started in 2026.

At the Etihad, Guardiola is set for a rousing send-off after amassing 20 trophies in his decade in charge, including six Premier League titles and City's only Champions League.

"It's been the experience of my life," said the Catalan after announcing his departure on Friday.


Manchester United's Fernandes Named Premier League Player of the Season

Soccer Football - Premier League - Manchester United v Nottingham Forest - Old Trafford, Manchester, Britain - May 17, 2026 Manchester United's Bruno Fernandes in action REUTERS
Soccer Football - Premier League - Manchester United v Nottingham Forest - Old Trafford, Manchester, Britain - May 17, 2026 Manchester United's Bruno Fernandes in action REUTERS
TT

Manchester United's Fernandes Named Premier League Player of the Season

Soccer Football - Premier League - Manchester United v Nottingham Forest - Old Trafford, Manchester, Britain - May 17, 2026 Manchester United's Bruno Fernandes in action REUTERS
Soccer Football - Premier League - Manchester United v Nottingham Forest - Old Trafford, Manchester, Britain - May 17, 2026 Manchester United's Bruno Fernandes in action REUTERS

Manchester United midfielder Bruno Fernandes was named the Premier League player of the season on Saturday after guiding his club to third place in the standings while equaling the league's assists record with a game to spare. Fernandes tied the league record of 20 assists jointly held by former Arsenal striker Thierry Henry and ex-Manchester City playmaker Kevin De ⁠Bruyne.

The Portugal international ⁠also scored eight goals as United secured a third-place finish to qualify for the Champions League.

The 31-year-old was nominated alongside Arsenal's title-winning trio of Gabriel, David Raya and Declan Rice, ⁠Manchester City duo Erling Haaland and Antoine Semenyo, Nottingham Forest midfielder Morgan Gibbs-White and Brentford striker Igor Thiago.

Fernandes emerged as the Premier League's best playmaker this season when he created a league-high 132 chances. The next best player was Liverpool's Dominik Szoboszlai, who created 89 chances, Reuters reported.

Fernandes was named the Football Writers' Association ⁠men's ⁠player of the year earlier this month while he also picked up the club's Sir Matt Busby Player of the Year honor for the fifth time.

He has the opportunity to make the Premier League assists record his own on Sunday when United travel to Brighton & Hove Albion for the final game of the season.