UN Security Council to Discuss Safer Oil Tanker Next Week

Yemen's UN Permanent Representative Ambassador Abdullah Al-Saadi, Saba News Agency
Yemen's UN Permanent Representative Ambassador Abdullah Al-Saadi, Saba News Agency
TT

UN Security Council to Discuss Safer Oil Tanker Next Week

Yemen's UN Permanent Representative Ambassador Abdullah Al-Saadi, Saba News Agency
Yemen's UN Permanent Representative Ambassador Abdullah Al-Saadi, Saba News Agency

The United Nations Security Council has responded positively to demands made by the Yemeni foreign ministry to separate the derelict Safer oil tanker issue from other political matters in Yemen.

The UNSC decided to hold a session on July 15 amid Yemeni optimism that member states will take decisive measures to dodge a potential disaster.

Yemen's UN Permanent Representative Ambassador Abdullah Al-Saadi confirmed to Asharq Al-Awsat that the UNSC has responded positively to demands put forth by the Yemeni government regarding the Safer oil tanker.

“The topic received the UNSC’s attention, and next week will witness developments in the discussion of this issue leading to appropriate measures,” Saadi said.

He pointed out that the Yemeni government has continuously warned the UNSC about the pending environmental and economic catastrophe that could occur should an oil leak happen at the rundown oil tanker.

The ambassador underlined that Iran-backed Houthi militias, who currently control accesses to Safer, had refused all proposals put forth by UN Special Envoy Martin Griffiths to resolve the threat of an oil spill.

This has pushed the Yemeni government to send a number of letters to the Security Council and the UN chief to warn of the pending environmental, humanitarian and economic crisis.

Saadi explained that a solution to Safer is not a political matter, but rather a humanitarian and economic issue, calling on the UNSC to take necessary and urgent measures, and carry out its responsibilities.

He explained that Houthis are looking to tie Safer to their political agenda in Yemen, which will delay a solution for the derelict oil tanker.

“Griffiths presented a separate proposal earlier on tackling the Safer problem and the Yemeni government agreed to it, but the Houthis refused his proposals, including the ceasefire and confidence-building measures,” Saadi revealed.



UN Human Rights Chief: Unconscionable Death and Suffering Happening in Gaza

A child looks on as Palestinians search for missing people under the rubble of a destroyed house following an Israeli air strike, at al-Nuseirat refugee camp, southern Gaza Strip, 18 June 2024. (EPA)
A child looks on as Palestinians search for missing people under the rubble of a destroyed house following an Israeli air strike, at al-Nuseirat refugee camp, southern Gaza Strip, 18 June 2024. (EPA)
TT

UN Human Rights Chief: Unconscionable Death and Suffering Happening in Gaza

A child looks on as Palestinians search for missing people under the rubble of a destroyed house following an Israeli air strike, at al-Nuseirat refugee camp, southern Gaza Strip, 18 June 2024. (EPA)
A child looks on as Palestinians search for missing people under the rubble of a destroyed house following an Israeli air strike, at al-Nuseirat refugee camp, southern Gaza Strip, 18 June 2024. (EPA)

Palestinians in the Israeli occupied West Bank and East Jerusalem are suffering a drastically worsening human rights environment, alongside "unconscionable death and suffering" in the Gaza Strip, the UN human rights chief said on Tuesday.

"The situation in the West Bank, including East Jerusalem, is dramatically deteriorating," Volker Turk, UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, told the opening session of the UN Human Rights Council.

The West Bank, where the internationally recognized Palestinian Authority exercises limited self-rule under Israeli occupation, has seen the worst unrest for decades, in parallel with the war in the Gaza Strip, which is controlled by Hamas.

Turk said that from the start of the Gaza war in October through mid-June, 528 Palestinians, 133 of them children, had been killed by Israeli security forces or settlers in the West Bank, in some cases raising "serious concerns of unlawful killings".

Twenty-three Israelis have been killed in the West Bank and Israel in clashes with or attacks by Palestinians, he said.

In Gaza, Turk said he was "appalled by the disregard for international human rights and humanitarian law" by parties to the war.

"Israel's relentless strikes in Gaza are causing immense suffering and widespread destruction, and the arbitrary denial and obstruction of humanitarian aid have continued," Turk said.

"Israel continues to detain arbitrarily thousands of Palestinians. This must not continue."

He added that Palestinian armed groups were continuing to hold hostages, including in populated areas, which put both the hostages and civilians at risk.

Israel's permanent mission to the UN in Geneva accused Turk of "completely omitting the cruelty and barbarity of terrorism" in his address to the UN Human Rights Council.

"Hostilities in Gaza are the direct result of Hamas terrorism, decades of rocket-fire and incitement against the Jewish people and the State of Israel, culminating in its brutal attacks against Israel on October 7," the diplomatic mission said in a statement.

Israel's ground and air campaign was triggered when Hamas-led fighters stormed into southern Israel on Oct. 7, killing around 1,200 people and seizing more than 250 hostages, according to Israeli tallies.

Israel's offensive has killed more than 37,400 people in Gaza, according to its health authorities, and left much of the enclave's population homeless.