Likud Lobby for Full Annexation of the West Bank

Demonstrators are seen in Tel Aviv protesting against Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's plan to annex parts of the West Bank (Reuters)
Demonstrators are seen in Tel Aviv protesting against Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's plan to annex parts of the West Bank (Reuters)
TT

Likud Lobby for Full Annexation of the West Bank

Demonstrators are seen in Tel Aviv protesting against Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's plan to annex parts of the West Bank (Reuters)
Demonstrators are seen in Tel Aviv protesting against Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's plan to annex parts of the West Bank (Reuters)

Israel’s plans to annex parts of the West Bank is facing many obstacles from within the US administration and Israeli government, however, a Likud lobby is pressuring for full annexation.

Samaria Regional Council head Yossi Dagan is leading the initiative for fully annexing the lands under Israeli sovereignty as he has previously supported the plan of US President Donald Trump, including the establishment of a Palestinian state in the Gaza Strip and 70 percent of the West Bank.

Dagan has threatened to withdraw his support if Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu abandons his plans to annex the Jordan Valley and northern West Bank.

He announced that a large group of the settlers has agreed to a compromise out of respect for Trump, however, if there are advisors in Washington who are pressuring Israel to limit itself to a symbolic annexation and the government accepts it, they will demand a full annexation.

Dagan stressed that this is not directed at Netanyahu, but rather to help him withstand the pressure. He explained that the US administration is asking the PM for a unified position with the Blue and White party on the size of the annexation.

Journalist Jacob Bardugo said Netanyahu should be worried about this move because it could lead to the emergence of strong political leadership that could succeed him.

The settlers are also supported by Likud Central Committee head Haim Katz, who is an important figure of the party and enjoys large support among the far-right.

Katz confirmed that he would soon invite his council to take the necessary decisions, stressing that it was not against the Prime Minister, but rather to help him.

Member of Knesset Ariel Kallner, who is a settler as well, supports the calls for full annexation, warning the Jordanian leadership against objecting the plans.

Kallner was responding to an earlier statement of Jordan’s Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Daifallah Fayez where he denounced the Israeli excavations at the Temple Mount.

Settler Kallner also indicated that the Temple Mount and the West Bank are Israeli lands, adding that Jordan should be concerned with its sovereignty over its land.

Earlier, Netanyahu announced that negotiations are still ongoing with the US administration over the implementation of the annexation plan.

The Jerusalem Post, an Israeli newspaper, reported a source familiar with the discussions as saying that the White House peace team is expected to further discuss the plans with the participation of Trump’s son-in-law Jared Kushner, Special Representative for International Negotiations Avi Berkowitz, and National Security Council Member Scott Leith.

He said that the Israeli government’s plan to impose its sovereignty on areas in the West Bank is still possible in the current month of July.

Meanwhile, Israel’s newly appointed UN representative, Gilad Erdan, said the international opposition of the annexation plans should not be underestimated, noting that he will explain the importance of this step for Israel’s interests.

Erdan indicated, in a radio interview, that Israel’s unilateral withdrawals from the Gaza Strip did not lead to peace, and that the only thing that will ensure its presence would be the establishment of borders.



Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
TT

Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer

Israel announced that it will cap the number of Palestinian worshippers from the occupied West Bank attending weekly Friday prayers at the Al-Aqsa Mosque in east Jerusalem at 10,000 during the holy month of Ramadan, which began Wednesday.

Israeli authorities also imposed age restrictions on West Bank Palestinians, permitting entry only to men aged 55 and older, women aged 50 and older, and children up to age 12.

"Ten thousand Palestinian worshippers will be permitted to enter the Temple Mount for Friday prayers throughout the month of Ramadan, subject to obtaining a dedicated daily permit in advance," COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, said in a statement, AFP reported.

"Entry for men will be permitted from age 55, for women from age 50, and for children up to age 12 when accompanied by a first-degree relative."

COGAT told AFP that the restrictions apply only to Palestinians travelling from the West Bank, which Israel has occupied since the 1967 Arab-Israeli war.

"It is emphasised that all permits are conditional upon prior security approval by the relevant security authorities," COGAT said.

"In addition, residents travelling to prayers at the Temple Mount will be required to undergo digital documentation at the crossings upon their return to the areas of Judea and Samaria at the conclusion of the prayer day," it said, using the Biblical term for the West Bank.

During Ramadan, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al-Aqsa, Islam's third holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed in a move that is not internationally recognized.

Since the war in Gaza broke out in October 2023, the attendance of worshippers has declined due to security concerns and Israeli restrictions.

The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said this week that Israeli authorities had prevented the Islamic Waqf -- the Jordanian-run body that administers the site -- from carrying out routine preparations ahead of Ramadan, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.

A senior imam of the Al-Aqsa Mosque, Sheikh Muhammad al-Abbasi, told AFP that he, too, had been barred from entering the compound.

"I have been barred from the mosque for a week, and the order can be renewed," he said.

Abbasi said he was not informed of the reason for the ban, which came into effect on Monday.

Under longstanding arrangements, Jews may visit the Al-Aqsa compound -- which they revere as the site of the first and second Jewish temples -- but they are not permitted to pray there.

Israel says it is committed to upholding this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.

In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far-right politician Itamar Ben Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.


EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.


Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.