Norwich Relegated From Premier League as West Ham's Antonio Hits Four

 Michail Antonio scores his hat-trick goal. He went on to score all four in West Ham’s win at Norwich. Photograph: Tom Jenkins/NMC pool
Michail Antonio scores his hat-trick goal. He went on to score all four in West Ham’s win at Norwich. Photograph: Tom Jenkins/NMC pool
TT

Norwich Relegated From Premier League as West Ham's Antonio Hits Four

 Michail Antonio scores his hat-trick goal. He went on to score all four in West Ham’s win at Norwich. Photograph: Tom Jenkins/NMC pool
Michail Antonio scores his hat-trick goal. He went on to score all four in West Ham’s win at Norwich. Photograph: Tom Jenkins/NMC pool

Would Daniel Farke do it differently if he was allowed another go? Norwich’s manager has stuck to his principles all season, trusting in the players who won promotion last year and insisting on an expansive style, but it is not hard to feel that a touch more pragmatism would not have gone amiss in a scrap for survival.

Weaknesses are ruthlessly exposed at this level and Norwich’s inability to cover up their flaws has been their undoing, dragging them back down to the Championship at the first time of asking.

The defeat that sealed Norwich’s relegation summed them up. They defended abysmally, conceded soft goals from set pieces and lacked conviction in the final third.

Farke’s lightweight side looked broken and beaten throughout and succeeded only in delivering a masterclass in how not to handle Michail Antonio, whose four goals helped West Ham take a big step towards preserving their Premier League status with their first away win in nine matches.

“We are always self-critical,” Farke said. “You always have to ask yourself what you could have done better. It is not unexpected. The first day after promotion I said you have a 5% chance to stay in this league without spending money.

“I am sorry we were not able to work another miracle. No one expected us to win the title in the Championship. We were highly motivated to beat the odds. We can only apologize.”

Farke spoke about injuries to key individuals and expressed hope for the future, pointing out that Norwich have talented young players on long-term contracts.

He sounded confident about their financial position and ready to fight again next year, saying that he has no desire to leave the club. “I have a long-term contract,” he said. Nonetheless, it was striking to hear him describe Norwich’s seventh successive defeat as a case of “men against boys”.

They were demolished by Antonio, who collected his first professional hat-trick after moving to six goals in his past four games, and West Ham cantered to their second 4-0 win since David Moyes replaced Manuel Pellegrini in December.

Moyes was delighted with a first clean sheet in 15 matches after his side rose six points clear of the bottom three with three games left, having played one more than 18th-placed Bournemouth.

There was a doomed air about Norwich and a straightforward change from Moyes lifted West Ham after their defeat by Burnley last Wednesday, the omission of Andriy Yarmolenko for Mark Noble giving the side more balance.

Noble worked diligently with Declan Rice and Tomas Soucek in midfield, Jarrod Bowen was menacing after returning to the right flank and Norwich creaked at the back, escaping when Soucek clippedshot wide early on.

Norwich’s feeble defence could not cope with Antonio. West Ham’s forward rattled his markers, Ben Godfrey and Timm Klose, and he had already forced a save from Tim Krul before giving the visitors the lead, meeting Issa Diop’s flick from Bowen’s corner with an emphatic right-foot volley from close range.

Behind after 11 minutes, Norwich could have been forgiven for walking down the tunnel. They are the only team in Europe’s top-five leagues not to have claimed a point after conceding first this season and even West Ham, who have dropped 24 points from winning positions this season, could not find a way to blow this lead.

Noble, surprisingly playing at the highest point of midfield, was looking like a cockney Kevin De Bruyne. Bowen caused constant problems, arrowing two efforts wide, and West Ham had another chance go begging when Krul denied Soucek.

It was a brilliant save from Krul but he was powerless to stop West Ham doubling their lead just before half‑time. Noble swung in a free‑kick and Antonio glanced in an easy header.

After 53 minutes Noble made another telling impact, lofting a clever pass through for Antonio. The 30-year-old raced clear and although Krul saved his first effort the striker gobbled up the rebound with a looping header.

West Ham attacked again and Antonio became the first player to score four goals in a game for West Ham since David Cross in 1981, tapping in a cross from Ryan Fredericks.

“He’s been excellent because we’ve been without Seb Haller,” Moyes said. “Not many people score four in a Premier League match.”

It was a grim march to the final whistle for Norwich. Farke sounded resigned before the game, admitting his side were already down. The German just wanted his players to enjoy themselves. The problem, though, is that there is nothing fun about relegation.

The Guardian Sport



Verona Prepares its Ancient Arena for the Olympics Closing Ceremony on Sunday

A view of the Arena ahead of the closing ceremony at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Verona, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Antonio Calanni)
A view of the Arena ahead of the closing ceremony at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Verona, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Antonio Calanni)
TT

Verona Prepares its Ancient Arena for the Olympics Closing Ceremony on Sunday

A view of the Arena ahead of the closing ceremony at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Verona, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Antonio Calanni)
A view of the Arena ahead of the closing ceremony at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Verona, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Antonio Calanni)

A city forever associated with Romeo and Juliet, Verona will host the final act of the Milan Cortina Winter Olympics on Sunday inside the ancient Roman Arena, where some 1,500 athletes will celebrate their feats against a backdrop of Italian music and dance.

Acclaimed ballet dancer Roberto Bolle has been rehearsing for the closing ceremony inside the Arena di Verona this week under a veil of secrecy, along with some 350 volunteers, for a spectacle titled “Beauty in Motion," which frames beauty as something inherently dynamic.

“Beauty cannot be fixed in time. This ancient monument is beautiful if it is alive, if it continues to change,” said the ceremony's producer, Alfredo Accatino. “This is what we want to narrate: An Italy that is changing, and also the beauty of movement, the beauty of sport and the beauty of nature."

Other headlining Italian artists include singer Achille Lauro and DJ Gabry Ponte, whose hits could be heard blasting from the Arena during rehearsals this week.

Inside a tent serving as a dressing room, seamstresses put the finishing touches on costumes inspired by the opera world as volunteers prepped for the stage, The Associated Press reported.

“It’s really special to be inside the Arena,” said Matilde Ricchiuto, a student from a local dance school. "Usually, I am there as a spectator and now I get to be a star, I would say. I feel super special.”

The Arena has been a venue for popular entertainment since it was first built in 1 A.D., predating the larger Roman Colosseum by decades. Accatino said the ancient monument will produce some surprises from within its vast tunnels.

“Under the Arena there is a mysterious world that hides everything that has happened. At a certain point, this world will come out," Accatino said, promising “something very beautiful."

The ceremony will open with athletes parading triumphantly through Piazza Bra into the Arena, which once served as a stage for gladiator fights and hunts for exotic beasts.

The closing ceremony stage was inspired by a drop of water, meant to symbolically unite the Olympic mountain venues with the Po River Valley, where Milan and Verona are located, while serving as a reminder that the Winter Games are being reshaped by climate change.

While the opening ceremony was held in Milan, the other host city, Cortina d’Ampezzo, nestled in the Dolomite mountains, was considered too small and remote to host the closing ceremony. Verona, in the same Veneto region as Cortina, was chosen for its unique venue and relatively central location, said Maria Laura Iascone, the local organizing committee's head of ceremonies.

“Only Italians can use such monuments to do special events, so this is very unique, very rare," Iascone said of the Arena.

She promised a more intimate evening than the opening ceremony in Milan's San Siro soccer stadium, with about 12,000 people attending the closing compared with more than 60,000 for the opening.

Iascone said about 1,500 of the nearly 3,000 athletes participating in the most spread-out Winter Games in Olympic history are expected to drive a little over an hour from Milan and between two and four hours from the six mountain venues.

The ceremony will close with the Olympic flame being extinguished. A light show will substitute fireworks, which are not allowed in Verona to protect animals from being disturbed.

The Verona Arena will also be the venue for the Paralympic opening ceremony on March 6. For the ceremonies, the ancient Arena has been retrofitted with new wheelchair ramps and accessible restrooms along with other safety upgrades. The six Paralympic events will be held in Milan and Cortina until March 15.


Arsenal Blows 2-goal Lead at Wolves to Boost Man City's Premier League Title Chances

Soccer Football - Premier League - Wolverhampton Wanderers v Arsenal - Molineux Stadium, Wolverhampton, Britain - February 18, 2026  Wolverhampton Wanderers' Tom Edozie celebrates scoring their second goal with teammates REUTERS/Chris Radburn
Soccer Football - Premier League - Wolverhampton Wanderers v Arsenal - Molineux Stadium, Wolverhampton, Britain - February 18, 2026 Wolverhampton Wanderers' Tom Edozie celebrates scoring their second goal with teammates REUTERS/Chris Radburn
TT

Arsenal Blows 2-goal Lead at Wolves to Boost Man City's Premier League Title Chances

Soccer Football - Premier League - Wolverhampton Wanderers v Arsenal - Molineux Stadium, Wolverhampton, Britain - February 18, 2026  Wolverhampton Wanderers' Tom Edozie celebrates scoring their second goal with teammates REUTERS/Chris Radburn
Soccer Football - Premier League - Wolverhampton Wanderers v Arsenal - Molineux Stadium, Wolverhampton, Britain - February 18, 2026 Wolverhampton Wanderers' Tom Edozie celebrates scoring their second goal with teammates REUTERS/Chris Radburn

Arsenal blew a two-goal lead at last-place Wolves on Wednesday to give a huge boost to Manchester City in the race for the Premier League title.

The league leader was held to a surprise 2-2 draw at Molineux, having led 2-0 in the second half.

Teenage debutant Tom Edozie scored in the fourth minute of added time to complete Wolves' comeback.

“There was a big difference in how we played in the first half and the second half. We dropped our standards and we got punished for it,” Arsenal forward Bukayo Saka told the BBC.

The draw means Arsenal has dropped points in back-to-back games and leaves it just five ahead of second-place City, having played a game more.

With the top two still to play each other at City's Etihad Stadium, the title race is too close to call.

“(It's) time to focus on ourselves, improve our standards and improve our performances and it is in our control,” Saka said.

Arsenal has led the way for the majority of the season and one bookmaker paid out on Mikel Arteta's team winning the title after it opened up a nine-point lead earlier this month.

But Wednesday's result was the latest sign that it is feeling the pressure, having finished runner-up in each of the last three seasons. It has won just two of its last seven league games.

Having blown a lead against Brentford last week, it was even worse at a Wolves team that has won just one game all season.

Victory looked all but secured after Saka gave Arsenal the lead with a header in the fifth minute and Piero Hincapie ran through to blast in the second in the 56th.

But Wolves' fightback began with Hugo Bueno's curling shot into the top corner in the 61st.

The 19-year-old Edozie was sent on as a substitute in the 84th and his effort earned the home team only its 10th point of a campaign that looks certain to end in relegation.

While it did little for Wolves' chances of survival, it may have had a major impact at the top of the standings.

“Incredibly disappointed that we gave two points away,” Arteta said. "I think we need to fault ourselves and give credit to Wolves. But what we did in the second half was nowhere near our standards that we have to play in order to win a game in the Premier League.

“When you don’t perform you can get punished, and we got punished and we have to accept the hits because that can happen when you are on top."

Arsenal plays Tottenham on Sunday. Its lead could be cut to two points before it kicks off if City wins against Newcastle on Saturday.


Sinner Sees off Popyrin to Reach Doha Quarters

 Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Sinner Sees off Popyrin to Reach Doha Quarters

 Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)

Jannik Sinner powered past Alexei Popyrin in straight sets on Wednesday to reach the last eight of the Qatar Open and edge closer to a possible final meeting with Carlos Alcaraz.

The Italian, playing his first tournament since losing to Novak Djokovic in the Australian Open semi-finals last month, eased to a 6-3, 7-5 second-round win in Doha.

Sinner will play Jakub Mensik in Thursday's quarter-finals.

Australian world number 53 Popyrin battled gamely but failed to create a break-point opportunity against his clinical opponent.

Sinner dropped just three points on serve in an excellent first set which he took courtesy of a break in the sixth game.

Popyrin fought hard in the second but could not force a tie-break as Sinner broke to grab a 6-5 lead before confidently serving it out.

World number one Alcaraz takes on Frenchman Valentin Royer in his second-round match later.