Algerian Lawyers Demand Release of Prisoners Infected with Coronavirus

Police officers are seen at El Harrach prison in Algiers, Algeria, on June 13, 2019. Reuters file photo
Police officers are seen at El Harrach prison in Algiers, Algeria, on June 13, 2019. Reuters file photo
TT

Algerian Lawyers Demand Release of Prisoners Infected with Coronavirus

Police officers are seen at El Harrach prison in Algiers, Algeria, on June 13, 2019. Reuters file photo
Police officers are seen at El Harrach prison in Algiers, Algeria, on June 13, 2019. Reuters file photo

Algerian lawyers demanded the release of retired Major General Ali Ghediri, who went on a hunger strike last week and which was suspended when he tested positive for the coronavirus.

Ghediri’s lawyer, Khalid Burayo, told Asharq Al-Awsat that his client's condition is stable.

He asked the prison administration to transfer him to a hospital for treatment, and urged the authorities to issue orders for the judiciary to temporarily release him, pending his trial.

In June 2019, authorities convicted Ghediri, and then army chief of staff Lieutenant-General Ahmed Gaid Saleh ordered his imprisonment.

Burayo stressed that Ghediri’s infection with the COVID-19 disease is a strong reason for the authorities to release him, especially since he has been in pretrial detention for over a year, and his charge does not require him to be kept in prison.

Ghediri, 65, has been accused of “treason and spying for the benefit of foreign powers” and “attempting to weaken the army’s morale.”

A few months ago, he was acquitted of the first charge, and Burayo said the second is “political” after Ghediri made a few media statements concerning the army, which didn’t appease the military leadership, in reference to Gaid Saleh, who died of a heart attack at the end of last year.

The lawyer confirmed that Ghediri’s case has all the conditions for a temporary release, which is a legal mechanism that compensates pretrial detention for defendants who are not involved in serious crimes.

He wondered if giving political statements is a crime that deserves imprisonment.

Ghediri is a former official of the Defense Ministry and ran for the presidential elections in 2019.

Meanwhile, human rights lawyer Miloud Brahimi stated that his clients, former Trade Minister Amara Benyounes and former director general of a state tourism company, Hamid Melzi, contracted the coronavirus a week ago. Both were prominent officials during the rule of Abdelaziz Bouteflika, and are accused of corruption.

The lawyer confirmed that the former chief of protocol at the presidency, Mokhtar Reguieg, was transferred from his cell to the prison clinic after showing symptoms of COVID-19. Reguieg, a top Bouteflika aide, is also accused of corruption.

Brahimi, one of the founders of the Algerian League for the Defense of Human Rights (LADDH), said that putting hundreds of prisoners in pretrial detention increases the possibility of infection spreading among them.

He called on President Abdelmadjid Tebboune to release those who do not pose a threat to society.

Last week, the family of former minister Musa Benhamadi accused the prison administration of negligence after he died in prison from COVID-19.

In addition, two former prime ministers, Ahmed Ouyahia and Abdelmalek Sellal, who are both convicted with heavy sentences, have suffered complications due to the coronavirus and have been in hospital for the past week.



Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.


Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of "encouraging the migration" of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.

"We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state," said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.

"We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.

"There is no other long-term solution," added Smotrich, who himself lives in a settlement in the West Bank.

Since last week, Israel has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.

The measures include a process to register land in the West Bank as "state property" and facilitate direct purchases of land by Jewish Israelis.

The measures have triggered widespread international outrage.

On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amount to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.

"We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank," they said in a statement.

"Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed.

"We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation."

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Israel to reverse its land registration policy, calling it "destabilizing" and "unlawful".

The West Bank would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state. Many on Israel's religious right view it as Israeli land.

Israeli NGOs have also raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem's borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.

The planned development, announced by Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.

The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.