Salzburg's Patson Daka: 'There'll Only Be One Haaland, Only One Patson'

 Patson Daka (back) celebrates with his now former Red Bull Salzburg teammate Erling Braut Haaland in the Champions League last year. Photograph: Andreas Schaad/Bongarts/Getty Images
Patson Daka (back) celebrates with his now former Red Bull Salzburg teammate Erling Braut Haaland in the Champions League last year. Photograph: Andreas Schaad/Bongarts/Getty Images
TT

Salzburg's Patson Daka: 'There'll Only Be One Haaland, Only One Patson'

 Patson Daka (back) celebrates with his now former Red Bull Salzburg teammate Erling Braut Haaland in the Champions League last year. Photograph: Andreas Schaad/Bongarts/Getty Images
Patson Daka (back) celebrates with his now former Red Bull Salzburg teammate Erling Braut Haaland in the Champions League last year. Photograph: Andreas Schaad/Bongarts/Getty Images

Patson Daka has just spent half an hour recounting the journey that led from school playing fields in Zambia to the spearhead of Red Bull Salzburg’s attack, so it seems cheap to follow up with the kind of question that speaks of football’s maddening impatience levels. But he is about to resume a season whose success can be measured by a strike rate of a goal every 74 minutes in Austria’s Bundesliga, so here goes: would it be fair to say he is the next Erling Braut Haaland?

There is laughter at one end of the line and some relief at the other. “I’m not the next anything,” Daka says. “There’ll only be one Haaland and there’ll only be one Patson. I just want to become the best vision of myself.”

The image is already a compelling one. Daka may have played second fiddle to Haaland before the Norwegian joined Borussia Dortmund in December but, certainly on a local level, not by much. When Salzburg resume their title chase against Rapid Vienna on Wednesday he will be seeking his 18th goal of the domestic league campaign and he is now their leading man. At 21, he is also the latest player to the fore of a production line whose diversity is unmatched.

“Erling did his part to help and has left this opportunity for the rest of us, so now it’s time to elevate ourselves also,” he says. “There was always a kind of competition between the two of us where we wanted to improve each other. In football, and life, things happen quicker for some people and we don’t expect everything to move at the same pace for everyone. I think I’ve needed a bit more time to discover myself and develop more. We all just knew it was his time, his moment.”

Daka knows he had ground to make up. One of the few parallels with Haaland’s background was the presence of a footballing father. Growing up in Kafue, a town in south-central Zambia, his earliest memories were of watching his dad, Nathtali, cause havoc on the wings for Nitrogen Stars. Nathtali never needed an excuse to find a ball, or fashion one, and share his passion with his son. But he died before he could see the spectacular returns and Daka is spurred by determination to honour his memory.

The tale of Daka’s breakthrough involves a mite of good fortune but is primarily a modern success story of talent identification in previously-overlooked areas. In 2012 he was sitting an exam when Airtel Rising Stars – a pan-African grassroots initiative sponsored by the eponymous telecoms company – arrived to hold trials behind his school.

“I’d just finished writing when one of my friends told me: ‘Some people have come to select players to represent the province, maybe we can go and you can try your luck.’ We went along and they were about to start. I knew one of the coaches and he told me to rush home for my training kit so I could be a part of it. I ran there and back. After playing for less then 10 minutes, they removed me from the pitch and said: ‘OK, wait for us here.’”

They had seen enough and Daka has not looked back. Within a year he was captaining a Zambia team picked from thousands who had attended Airtel’s trials; they were runners-up at a tournament in Nigeria, where he finished top scorer. He was called up to the senior national team at 16; by then he was a star at under-17 level and already coming under harsh scrutiny in the domestic top flight.

“I played one season, scored two goals and gave one assist,” he says of a barren campaign on loan from Kafue Celtics to Nchanga Rangers. “I moved again [to Power Dynamos], scored once in the first half of the season and the fans didn’t want me. At one point almost the whole country didn’t want to see my name in the national team. But then I started scoring in every game and came out top scorer for the club. That’s how things changed.”

The rewards would follow. In 2015 he was spotted by Frédéric Kanouté while playing at the Africa Under-17 Cup of Nations. Kanouté’s agency, 12 Management, works closely with Salzburg and within two years Daka was playing for their feeder club, FC Liefering.

“There’s no doubt, no second option,” he says when asked whether Salzburg, whose alumni include Sadio Mané and Naby Keïta, have cultivated the perfect environment for an African player. “To see how they have made their names here gives me confidence and I feel like: ‘OK, this is the right place for me.’ It’s the No 1 team for every Zambian now; people are always asking me: ‘Can you talk to the Red Bull people and ask them to come to us?’”

Six months after arriving in Austria, Daka was joined by one of his closest friends. Enock Mwepu, a dynamic midfielder destined for the top, was another beneficiary of that Airtel scheme and when they first met as 13-year-olds the idea of a new life 4,500 miles from home would have been a fairytale.

“I pushed him so hard, tried to give him tips for what to do and what not to do, so he could also make it and we could be together,” Daka says of Mwepu’s initial arrival on trial. “I was given almost everything I needed here but there’s just that feeling of missing home, so to be with someone who has been like family was some relief and another reason to focus. I did my best to make sure he could show his quality and stay. It had so much impact on me.”

They would make an attractive package for anyone, although both signed new deals in December. Premier League clubs are understood to be watching Daka closely and would be getting a different kind of player to Haaland. He describes himself as “more the mobile striker who moves everywhere”, and believes those attributes complemented Haaland’s gifts as a target man.

One day he may well follow the likes of Haaland, Mané, Keïta and Takumi Minamino in moving to a bigger stage. In the short term his focus is on retaining Salzburg’s title, a task made easier when the previous leaders, Lask Linz, were deducted six points for breaking Covid-19 training regulations. They have already won the cup, beating Austria Lustenau 5-0. The Salzburg centre-forward spot comes with raised expectations nowadays but Daka intends to meet them.

“I’ve always known pressure will be there, but I don’t have to let it define me,” he says. “It wasn’t easy to come from Africa and be exposed to a different kind of development. I never imagined myself making the kind of big step I have here.”

The Guardian Sport



PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
TT

PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz

Paris Saint-Germain coach Luis ‌Enrique hailed the mental strength of his side in coming from two goals down to win 3-2 away at Monaco in the Champions League on Tuesday, but warned the knockout round tie was far from finished.

The first leg clash between the two Ligue 1 clubs saw Folarin Balogun score twice for the hosts in the opening 18 minutes before Vitinha had his penalty saved to compound matters.

But after Desire Doue came on for injured Ousmane Dembele, the ‌match turned ‌and defending champions PSG went on to ‌secure ⁠a one-goal advantage ⁠for the return leg.

"Normally, when a team starts a match like that, the most likely outcome is a loss,” Reuters quoted Luis Enrique as saying.

“It was catastrophic. It's impossible to start a match like that. The first two times they overcame our pressure and entered our half, they scored. They ⁠made some very good plays.

“After that, it's difficult ‌to have confidence, but we ‌showed our mental strength. Plus, we missed a penalty, so ‌it was a chance to regain confidence. In the ‌last six times we've played here, this is only the second time we've won, which shows how difficult it is.”

The 20-year-old Doue scored twice and provided a third for Achraf Hakimi, just ‌days after he had turned in a poor performance against Stade Rennais last Friday ⁠and was ⁠dropped for the Monaco clash.

“I'm happy for him because this past week, everyone criticized and tore Doue apart, but he was sensational, he showed his character. He helped the team at the best possible time.”

Dembele’s injury would be assessed, the coach added. “He took a knock in the first 15 minutes, then he couldn't run.”

The return leg at the Parc des Princes will be next Wednesday. “Considering how the match started, I'm happy with the result. But the match in Paris will be difficult, it will be a different story,” Luis Enrique warned.


Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TT

Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)

Real Madrid forward Kylian Mbappe said Benfica's Gianluca Prestianni should be banned from the Champions League after the Argentine was accused of directing a racist slur at Vinicius Jr during the Spanish side's 1-0 playoff first-leg win on Tuesday.

Denying the accusation, Prestianni said the Brazilian misheard him.

The incident occurred shortly after Vinicius had curled Real into the lead five minutes into the second half in Lisbon.

Television footage showed the Argentine winger covering his mouth with his shirt before making a comment that Vinicius and nearby teammates interpreted as a racial ‌slur against ‌the 25-year-old, with referee Francois Letexier halting the match for ‌11 ⁠minutes after activating ⁠FIFA's anti-racism protocols.

The footage appeared to show an outraged Mbappe calling Prestianni "a bloody racist" to his face, Reuters reported.

The atmosphere grew hostile after play resumed, with Vinicius and Mbappe loudly booed by the home crowd whenever they touched the ball. Despite the rising tensions, the players were able to close out the game without further interruptions.

"I want to clarify that at no time did I direct racist insults to Vini Jr, ⁠who regrettably misunderstood what he thought he heard," Prestianni wrote ‌on his Instagram account.

"I was never racist with ‌anyone and I regret the threats I received from Real Madrid players."

Mbappe told reporters he ‌heard Prestianni direct the same racist remark at Vinicius several times, an allegation ‌also levelled by Real's French midfielder Aurelien Tchouamen.

Mbappe said he had been prepared to leave the pitch but was persuaded by Vinicius to continue playing.

"We cannot accept that there is a player in Europe's top football competition who behaves like this. This guy (Prestianni) doesn't ‌deserve to play in the Champions League anymore," Mbappe told reporters.

"We have to set an example for all the children ⁠watching us at ⁠home. What happened today is the kind of thing we cannot accept because the world is watching us.

When asked whether Prestianni had apologized, Mbappe laughed.

"Of course not," he said.

Vinicius later posted a statement on social media voicing his frustration.

"Racists are, above all, cowards. They need to cover their mouth with their shirt to show how weak they are. But they have the protection of others who, theoretically, have an obligation to punish them. Nothing that happened today is new in my life or my family's life," Vinicius wrote.

The Brazilian has faced repeated racist abuse in Spain, with 18 legal complaints filed against racist behavior targeting Vinicius since 2022.

Real Madrid and Benfica will meet again for the second leg next Wednesday at the Bernabeu.


Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
TT

Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)

The Kings League-Middle East announced that its second season will kick off in Riyadh on March 27.

The season will feature 10 teams, compared to eight in the inaugural edition, under a format that combines sporting competition with digital engagement and includes the participation of several content creators from across the region.

The Kings League-Middle East is organized in partnership with SURJ Sports Investments, a subsidiary of the Public Investment Fund (PIF), as part of efforts to support the development of innovative sports models that integrate football with digital entertainment.

Seven teams will return for the second season: DR7, ABO FC, FWZ, Red Zone, Turbo, Ultra Chmicha, and 3BS. Three additional teams are set to be announced before the start of the competition.

Matches of the second season will be held at Cool Arena in Riyadh under a single round-robin format, with the top-ranked teams advancing to the knockout stages, culminating in the final match.

The inaugural edition recorded strong attendance and wide digital engagement, with approximately a million viewers following the live broadcasts on television and digital platforms.