Griffiths in Riyadh Next Week to Discuss Amendments to Joint Declaration

UN special envoy to Yemen Martin Griffiths in Sweden, on December 13, 2018. (Getty Images)
UN special envoy to Yemen Martin Griffiths in Sweden, on December 13, 2018. (Getty Images)
TT

Griffiths in Riyadh Next Week to Discuss Amendments to Joint Declaration

UN special envoy to Yemen Martin Griffiths in Sweden, on December 13, 2018. (Getty Images)
UN special envoy to Yemen Martin Griffiths in Sweden, on December 13, 2018. (Getty Images)

United Nations special envoy for Yemen, Martin Griffiths, is expected to visit Riyadh next week to meet with the Yemeni government and discuss recent amendments on a Joint Declaration draft plan for a comprehensive solution between the legitimacy and Iran-backed Houthis militias, a diplomatic source said Thursday.

The envoy will work on discussing details of this draft plan with the government and to dissipate the legitimacy’s reservations, British Ambassador to Yemen Michael Aron told Asharq Al-Awsat, adding that this plan would be the last as the two warring sides are close to reaching a final solution on Yemen.

Griffiths will add the government’s views to this last draft plan because parties are close to reaching a final solution, Aron said.

Griffiths is leading UN-brokered negotiations between the Yemeni government and Houthis, to reach a Joint Declaration that will include a nationwide ceasefire, economic and humanitarian measures, and the resumption of the political process to comprehensively resolve the conflict in the country.

In mid-July, the legitimate government rejected proposals submitted by the envoy, saying they undermine the government’s sovereignty and are biased towards the Houthis.

Meanwhile, the people are awaiting the formation of a new government that can rebuild state institutions and provide security and services. The cabinet is also expected to merge all armed formations in the Defense and Interior Ministries.

Late last month, the Southern Transitional Council abandoned its declaration of self-rule and pledged to implement the Riyadh Agreement signed with the legitimate government.

The deal calls for appointing a governor and security director for Aden Governorate, and assigning the Yemeni Prime Minister to form a government of political competencies within 30 days.

“The new government has a priority of rebuilding state institutions and controlling resources,” presidential advisor Abdul-Aziz al-Maflahi told Asharq Al-Awsat.

He said Yemenis now have a chance to present themselves in a different manner because their agreement is supported by the regional and international community.

Maflahi praised the important role played by Saudi Arabia's Deputy Minister of Defense Prince Khalid bin Salman to accelerate the implementation of the Riyadh Agreement.

Advisor to the Yemeni President Dr. Mohammed al-Ameri told Asharq Al-Awsat that the new government must first normalize the situation in the liberated areas and remove any tensions left recently by the conflict.

“Security is the basis for everything. Without it, the government is incapable of completing its mission and enforcing the rule of state institutions in the liberated areas,” he said.



Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
TT

Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)

Hezbollah rejected on Tuesday the Lebanese government's decision to grant the army at least four months to advance the second phase of a nationwide disarmament plan, saying it would not accept what it sees as a move serving Israel.

Lebanon's cabinet tasked the army in August 2025 with drawing up and beginning to implement a plan to bring all armed groups' weapons under state control, a bid aimed primarily at disarming Hezbollah after its devastating ‌war with ‌Israel in 2024.

In September 2025 the cabinet formally ‌welcomed ⁠the army's plan to ⁠disarm the Iran-backed Shiite party, although it did not set a clear timeframe and cautioned that the military's limited capabilities and ongoing Israeli strikes could hinder progress.

Hezbollah Secretary-General Sheikh Naim Qassem said in a speech on Monday that "what the Lebanese government is doing by focusing on disarmament is a major mistake because this issue serves the goals of Israeli ⁠aggression".

Lebanon's Information Minister Paul Morcos said during a press ‌conference late on Monday after ‌a cabinet meeting that the government had taken note of the army's monthly ‌report on its arms control plan that includes restricting weapons in ‌areas north of the Litani River up to the Awali River in Sidon, and granted it four months.

"The required time frame is four months, renewable depending on available capabilities, Israeli attacks and field obstacles,” he said.

Hezbollah lawmaker Hassan ‌Fadlallah said, "we cannot be lenient," signaling the group's rejection of the timeline and the broader approach to ⁠the issue of ⁠its weapons.

Hezbollah has rejected the disarmament effort as a misstep while Israel continues to target Lebanon, and Shiite ministers walked out of the cabinet session in protest.

Israel has said Hezbollah's disarmament is a security priority, arguing that the group's weapons outside Lebanese state control pose a direct threat to its security.

Israeli officials say any disarmament plan must be fully and effectively implemented, especially in areas close to the border, and that continued Hezbollah military activity constitutes a violation of relevant international resolutions.

Israel has also said it will continue what it describes as action to prevent the entrenchment or arming of hostile actors in Lebanon until cross-border threats are eliminated.


Saudi Crown Prince Receives Message on Bilateral Ties from President of Kazakhstan

Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA file)
Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA file)
TT

Saudi Crown Prince Receives Message on Bilateral Ties from President of Kazakhstan

Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA file)
Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA file)

Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister, received on Tuesday a written message from President of Kazakhstan Kassym-Jomart Tokayev on bilateral relations between their two countries.

The message was received by Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah during a meeting with his Kazakh counterpart Yermek Kosherbayev in Riyadh.


Princes and Officials Take Oath Before Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and other officials are seen during the ceremony in Riyadh on Tuesday. (SPA)
Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and other officials are seen during the ceremony in Riyadh on Tuesday. (SPA)
TT

Princes and Officials Take Oath Before Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and other officials are seen during the ceremony in Riyadh on Tuesday. (SPA)
Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and other officials are seen during the ceremony in Riyadh on Tuesday. (SPA)

Princes and officials appointed by royal orders to their new positions took the oath of office before Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud in Riyadh on Tuesday.

They included Deputy Governor of Al-Baha Region Prince Fahd bin Saad bin Abdullah bin Abdulaziz bin Turki; Member of the Shura Council Prince Dr. Saad bin Saud bin Mohammed bin Abdulaziz; Deputy Governor of Madinah Region Prince Saud bin Nahar bin Saud; Deputy Governor of Northern Borders Region Prince Mohammed bin Abdullah bin Abdulaziz; and Minister of Investment Fahd Al-Saif.

They swore to be faithful to their religion, then their King and country, not to reveal any of the state’s secrets, to preserve its interests and regulations, and to perform their duties with honesty, trustworthiness, and sincerity.