Egypt, Jordan Stress Support to Beirut Reconstruction

Egyptian Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry with Egypt's field hospital team in Lebanon (Egyptian Foreign Ministry)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry with Egypt's field hospital team in Lebanon (Egyptian Foreign Ministry)
TT

Egypt, Jordan Stress Support to Beirut Reconstruction

Egyptian Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry with Egypt's field hospital team in Lebanon (Egyptian Foreign Ministry)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry with Egypt's field hospital team in Lebanon (Egyptian Foreign Ministry)

Egypt’s Minister of Foreign Affairs, Sameh Shoukry, said on Tuesday that Egypt is working to meet Lebanon’s priorities following the Beirut explosion last week.

During his solidarity visit to Beirut, Shoukry asserted that Egypt would set up an air bridge for relief and humanitarian aid, and a sea bridge for reconstruction. He added that Egypt is intensifying its efforts to stand by the people of Lebanon during their crisis.

Shoukry was received by Lebanese President Michel Aoun at the Baabda Palace in Beirut.

He also met with Lebanese Parliament Speaker, Nabih Berri, in addition to other senior politicians and political leaders. They included former Lebanese Prime Minister Saad Hariri, head of the Kataeb Party Samy Gemayel, head of the Lebanese Forces Party Samir Geagea, head of Marada Movement Suleiman Frangieh, and head of Progressive Socialist Party Walid Jumblatt.

“We have a directive to work closely, through Egyptian government agencies, to meet the needs and priorities of Lebanon as quickly as possible,” Shoukry stressed.

During his visit, Shoukry also inspected the Egyptian Field Hospital in Lebanon, which accepted the wounded in the huge explosion at the Beirut port. He hailed the important role played by the hospital, and the high-quality free treatment services it is providing. The six-clinic facility has opened its doors to victims only one hour after the explosion took place.

Moreover, Egypt sent, on Monday, the third shipment of urgent medical and relief supplies to the Lebanese capital, according to an Egyptian army statement.

On Tuesday, Jordan’s Minister of Foreign Affairs, Ayman Safadi, visited Beirut to reaffirm Jordan’s solidarity with Lebanon and coordinate aid efforts. Safadi said that the Jordanian field hospital will remain as long as it is needed, and that his country will send relief supplies to Beirut, the first of which will arrive next Thursday. He stressed that Lebanon will not be alone in facing the repercussions of the explosion.

Meanwhile, Lebanon’s General Directorate of State Security said in a statement, on Tuesday, that it had discovered security flaws in Beirut port that led to the explosion last week.

According to documents seen by Reuters and senior security sources, Lebanese security officials warned Prime Minister Hassan Diab and President Michel Aoun last month that 2,750 tonnes of ammonium nitrate were poorly stored in the Beirut’s port, posing a security risk. The documents also offered apparent proof that security officials also warned the hazardous chemicals could destroy the capital if it exploded.

The State Security mission started working in the port on April 2019, with its main goal to fight corruption. During its work in the port, the mission found that there were security flaws at the port, the document added.

A later judicial investigation was launched in January 2020, which concluded that the industrial chemicals stored at the port needed to be secured immediately.

The statement added, “At the end of the investigation, Prosecutor General Ghassan Oweidat prepared a final report which was sent to the authorities.” This refers to a letter sent, by the General Directorate of State Security which oversees port security, to both Diab and Aoun on 20 July.

The devastating situation sparked mass violent protests in Beirut’s streets, which saw over 200 people injured, of which 63 were transferred to hospitals, according to the Lebanese Red Cross.

More protests occurred on Tuesday, one day following the resignation of Lebanon’s government. The renewed protests called on President Aoun to resign too.



Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
TT

Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)

Egypt's Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly headed to Washington on Tuesday ‌to ‌participate in ‌the inaugural ⁠meeting of a "Board of Peace" established by US President Donald ⁠Trump, the ‌cabinet ‌said.

Madbouly is ‌attending ‌on behalf of President Abdel ‌Fattah al-Sisi and is accompanied by ⁠Foreign ⁠Minister Badr Abdelatty.

Foreign Minister Gideon Saar will represent Israel at the inaugural meeting, his office said on Tuesday.

Hamas, meanwhile, called on the newly-formed board to pressure Israel to halt what it described as ongoing violations of the ceasefire in Gaza.

The Board of Peace, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

But its purpose has since morphed into resolving all sorts of international conflicts, triggering fears the US president wants to create a rival to the United Nations.

Saar will first attend a ministerial level UN Security Council meeting in New York on Wednesday, and on Thursday he "will represent Israel at the inaugural session of the board, chaired by Trump in Washington DC, where he will present Israel's position", his office said in a statement.

It was initially reported that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu might attend the gathering, but his office said last week that he would not.

Ahead of the meeting, Hamas spokesman Hazem Qassem told AFP that the Palestinian movement urged the board's members "to take serious action to compel the Israeli occupation to stop its violations in Gaza".

"The war of genocide against the Strip is still ongoing -- through killing, displacement, siege, and starvation -- which have not stopped until this very moment," he added.

He also called for the board to work to support the newly formed Palestinian technocratic committee meant to oversee the day-to-day governance of post-war Gaza "so that relief and reconstruction efforts in Gaza can commence".

Announcing the creation of the board in January, Trump also unveiled plans to establish a "Gaza Executive Board" operating under the body.

The executive board would include Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan and Qatari diplomat Ali Al-Thawadi.

Netanyahu has strongly objected to their inclusion.

Since Trump launched his "Board of Peace" at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)

A Palestinian child died after stepping on a mine near an Israeli military camp in the occupied West Bank on Tuesday, the Palestinian Red Crescent said, with an Israeli defense ministry source confirming the death.

"Our crews received the body of a 13-year-old child who was killed after a mine exploded in one of the old camps in Jiftlik in the northern Jordan Valley," the Red Crescent said in a statement.

A source at COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry's agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, confirmed the death to AFP and identified the boy as Mohammed Abu Dalah, from the village of Jiftlik.

Israel's military had previously said in a statement that three Palestinians were injured "as a result of playing with unexploded ordnance", without specifying their ages.

It added that the area of the incident, Tirzah, is "a military camp in the area of the Jordan Valley", near Jiftlik and close to the Jordanian border.

"This area is a live-fire zone and entry into it is prohibited," the military said.

Jiftlik village council head Ahmad Ghawanmeh told AFP that three children, the oldest of whom was 16, were collecting herbs near the military base when they detonated a mine.

Jiftlik as well as the nearby Tirzah base are located in the Palestinian territory's Area C, which falls under direct Israeli control.

Israel has occupied the West Bank since 1967.

Much of the area near the border with Jordan -- which Israel signed a peace deal with in 1994 -- remains mined.

In January, Israel's defense ministry said it had begun demining the border area as part of construction works for a new barrier it says aims to stem weapons smuggling.


Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
TT

Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)

Hezbollah rejected on Tuesday the Lebanese government's decision to grant the army at least four months to advance the second phase of a nationwide disarmament plan, saying it would not accept what it sees as a move serving Israel.

Lebanon's cabinet tasked the army in August 2025 with drawing up and beginning to implement a plan to bring all armed groups' weapons under state control, a bid aimed primarily at disarming Hezbollah after its devastating ‌war with ‌Israel in 2024.

In September 2025 the cabinet formally ‌welcomed ⁠the army's plan to ⁠disarm the Iran-backed Shiite party, although it did not set a clear timeframe and cautioned that the military's limited capabilities and ongoing Israeli strikes could hinder progress.

Hezbollah Secretary-General Sheikh Naim Qassem said in a speech on Monday that "what the Lebanese government is doing by focusing on disarmament is a major mistake because this issue serves the goals of Israeli ⁠aggression".

Lebanon's Information Minister Paul Morcos said during a press ‌conference late on Monday after ‌a cabinet meeting that the government had taken note of the army's monthly ‌report on its arms control plan that includes restricting weapons in ‌areas north of the Litani River up to the Awali River in Sidon, and granted it four months.

"The required time frame is four months, renewable depending on available capabilities, Israeli attacks and field obstacles,” he said.

Hezbollah lawmaker Hassan ‌Fadlallah said, "we cannot be lenient," signaling the group's rejection of the timeline and the broader approach to ⁠the issue of ⁠its weapons.

Hezbollah has rejected the disarmament effort as a misstep while Israel continues to target Lebanon, and Shiite ministers walked out of the cabinet session in protest.

Israel has said Hezbollah's disarmament is a security priority, arguing that the group's weapons outside Lebanese state control pose a direct threat to its security.

Israeli officials say any disarmament plan must be fully and effectively implemented, especially in areas close to the border, and that continued Hezbollah military activity constitutes a violation of relevant international resolutions.

Israel has also said it will continue what it describes as action to prevent the entrenchment or arming of hostile actors in Lebanon until cross-border threats are eliminated.