Egypt, Jordan Stress Support to Beirut Reconstruction

Egyptian Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry with Egypt's field hospital team in Lebanon (Egyptian Foreign Ministry)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry with Egypt's field hospital team in Lebanon (Egyptian Foreign Ministry)
TT

Egypt, Jordan Stress Support to Beirut Reconstruction

Egyptian Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry with Egypt's field hospital team in Lebanon (Egyptian Foreign Ministry)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry with Egypt's field hospital team in Lebanon (Egyptian Foreign Ministry)

Egypt’s Minister of Foreign Affairs, Sameh Shoukry, said on Tuesday that Egypt is working to meet Lebanon’s priorities following the Beirut explosion last week.

During his solidarity visit to Beirut, Shoukry asserted that Egypt would set up an air bridge for relief and humanitarian aid, and a sea bridge for reconstruction. He added that Egypt is intensifying its efforts to stand by the people of Lebanon during their crisis.

Shoukry was received by Lebanese President Michel Aoun at the Baabda Palace in Beirut.

He also met with Lebanese Parliament Speaker, Nabih Berri, in addition to other senior politicians and political leaders. They included former Lebanese Prime Minister Saad Hariri, head of the Kataeb Party Samy Gemayel, head of the Lebanese Forces Party Samir Geagea, head of Marada Movement Suleiman Frangieh, and head of Progressive Socialist Party Walid Jumblatt.

“We have a directive to work closely, through Egyptian government agencies, to meet the needs and priorities of Lebanon as quickly as possible,” Shoukry stressed.

During his visit, Shoukry also inspected the Egyptian Field Hospital in Lebanon, which accepted the wounded in the huge explosion at the Beirut port. He hailed the important role played by the hospital, and the high-quality free treatment services it is providing. The six-clinic facility has opened its doors to victims only one hour after the explosion took place.

Moreover, Egypt sent, on Monday, the third shipment of urgent medical and relief supplies to the Lebanese capital, according to an Egyptian army statement.

On Tuesday, Jordan’s Minister of Foreign Affairs, Ayman Safadi, visited Beirut to reaffirm Jordan’s solidarity with Lebanon and coordinate aid efforts. Safadi said that the Jordanian field hospital will remain as long as it is needed, and that his country will send relief supplies to Beirut, the first of which will arrive next Thursday. He stressed that Lebanon will not be alone in facing the repercussions of the explosion.

Meanwhile, Lebanon’s General Directorate of State Security said in a statement, on Tuesday, that it had discovered security flaws in Beirut port that led to the explosion last week.

According to documents seen by Reuters and senior security sources, Lebanese security officials warned Prime Minister Hassan Diab and President Michel Aoun last month that 2,750 tonnes of ammonium nitrate were poorly stored in the Beirut’s port, posing a security risk. The documents also offered apparent proof that security officials also warned the hazardous chemicals could destroy the capital if it exploded.

The State Security mission started working in the port on April 2019, with its main goal to fight corruption. During its work in the port, the mission found that there were security flaws at the port, the document added.

A later judicial investigation was launched in January 2020, which concluded that the industrial chemicals stored at the port needed to be secured immediately.

The statement added, “At the end of the investigation, Prosecutor General Ghassan Oweidat prepared a final report which was sent to the authorities.” This refers to a letter sent, by the General Directorate of State Security which oversees port security, to both Diab and Aoun on 20 July.

The devastating situation sparked mass violent protests in Beirut’s streets, which saw over 200 people injured, of which 63 were transferred to hospitals, according to the Lebanese Red Cross.

More protests occurred on Tuesday, one day following the resignation of Lebanon’s government. The renewed protests called on President Aoun to resign too.



Saudi Intervention Ends Socotra Power Crisis

Socotra power generators restarted after Saudi intervention (X)
Socotra power generators restarted after Saudi intervention (X)
TT

Saudi Intervention Ends Socotra Power Crisis

Socotra power generators restarted after Saudi intervention (X)
Socotra power generators restarted after Saudi intervention (X)

Electricity has returned to Yemen’s Socotra archipelago after urgent Saudi intervention ended days of outages that disrupted daily life and crippled vital institutions, including the general hospital, the university and the technical institute.

The breakthrough followed a sudden shutdown of the power plants after the operating company withdrew and disabled control systems, triggering widespread blackouts and deepening hardship for residents.

The Saudi Program for the Development and Reconstruction of Yemen said its engineering and technical teams moved immediately after receiving an appeal from local authorities. Specialists were dispatched to reactivate operating systems that had been encrypted before the company left the island.

Generators were brought back online in stages, restoring electricity across most of the governorate within a short time.

The restart eased intense pressure on the grid, which had faced rising demand in recent weeks after a complete halt in generation.

Health and education facilities were among the worst affected. Some medical departments scaled back services, while parts of the education sector were partially suspended as classrooms and laboratories were left without power.

Socotra’s electricity authority said the crisis began when the former operator installed shutdown timers and password protections on control systems, preventing local teams from restarting the stations. Officials noted that the archipelago faced a similar situation in 2018, which was resolved through official intervention.

Local sources said the return of electricity quickly stabilized basic services. Water networks resumed regular operations, telecommunications improved, and commercial activity began to recover after a period of economic disruption linked to the outages.

Health and education rebound

In the health sector, stable power, combined with operational support, secured the functioning of Socotra General Hospital, the archipelago’s main medical facility.

Funding helped provide fuel and medical supplies and support healthcare staff, strengthening the hospital’s ability to receive patients and reducing the need to transfer cases outside the governorate, a burden that had weighed heavily on residents.

Medical sources said critical departments, including intensive care units and operating rooms, resumed normal operations after relying on limited emergency measures.

In education, classes and academic activities resumed at Socotra University and the technical institute after weeks of disruption.

A support initiative covered operational costs, including academic staff salaries and essential expenses, helping curb absenteeism and restore the academic schedule.

Local authorities announced that studies at the technical institute would officially restart on Monday, a move seen as a sign of gradual stabilization in public services.

Observers say sustained technical and operational support will be key to safeguarding electricity supply and preventing a repeat of the crisis in a region that depends almost entirely on power to run its vital sectors.


Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
TT

Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)

Egypt's Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly headed to Washington on Tuesday ‌to ‌participate in ‌the inaugural ⁠meeting of a "Board of Peace" established by US President Donald ⁠Trump, the ‌cabinet ‌said.

Madbouly is ‌attending ‌on behalf of President Abdel ‌Fattah al-Sisi and is accompanied by ⁠Foreign ⁠Minister Badr Abdelatty.

Foreign Minister Gideon Saar will represent Israel at the inaugural meeting, his office said on Tuesday.

Hamas, meanwhile, called on the newly-formed board to pressure Israel to halt what it described as ongoing violations of the ceasefire in Gaza.

The Board of Peace, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

But its purpose has since morphed into resolving all sorts of international conflicts, triggering fears the US president wants to create a rival to the United Nations.

Saar will first attend a ministerial level UN Security Council meeting in New York on Wednesday, and on Thursday he "will represent Israel at the inaugural session of the board, chaired by Trump in Washington DC, where he will present Israel's position", his office said in a statement.

It was initially reported that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu might attend the gathering, but his office said last week that he would not.

Ahead of the meeting, Hamas spokesman Hazem Qassem told AFP that the Palestinian movement urged the board's members "to take serious action to compel the Israeli occupation to stop its violations in Gaza".

"The war of genocide against the Strip is still ongoing -- through killing, displacement, siege, and starvation -- which have not stopped until this very moment," he added.

He also called for the board to work to support the newly formed Palestinian technocratic committee meant to oversee the day-to-day governance of post-war Gaza "so that relief and reconstruction efforts in Gaza can commence".

Announcing the creation of the board in January, Trump also unveiled plans to establish a "Gaza Executive Board" operating under the body.

The executive board would include Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan and Qatari diplomat Ali Al-Thawadi.

Netanyahu has strongly objected to their inclusion.

Since Trump launched his "Board of Peace" at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)

A Palestinian child died after stepping on a mine near an Israeli military camp in the occupied West Bank on Tuesday, the Palestinian Red Crescent said, with an Israeli defense ministry source confirming the death.

"Our crews received the body of a 13-year-old child who was killed after a mine exploded in one of the old camps in Jiftlik in the northern Jordan Valley," the Red Crescent said in a statement.

A source at COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry's agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, confirmed the death to AFP and identified the boy as Mohammed Abu Dalah, from the village of Jiftlik.

Israel's military had previously said in a statement that three Palestinians were injured "as a result of playing with unexploded ordnance", without specifying their ages.

It added that the area of the incident, Tirzah, is "a military camp in the area of the Jordan Valley", near Jiftlik and close to the Jordanian border.

"This area is a live-fire zone and entry into it is prohibited," the military said.

Jiftlik village council head Ahmad Ghawanmeh told AFP that three children, the oldest of whom was 16, were collecting herbs near the military base when they detonated a mine.

Jiftlik as well as the nearby Tirzah base are located in the Palestinian territory's Area C, which falls under direct Israeli control.

Israel has occupied the West Bank since 1967.

Much of the area near the border with Jordan -- which Israel signed a peace deal with in 1994 -- remains mined.

In January, Israel's defense ministry said it had begun demining the border area as part of construction works for a new barrier it says aims to stem weapons smuggling.