Egypt, Jordan Stress Support to Beirut Reconstruction

Egyptian Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry with Egypt's field hospital team in Lebanon (Egyptian Foreign Ministry)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry with Egypt's field hospital team in Lebanon (Egyptian Foreign Ministry)
TT

Egypt, Jordan Stress Support to Beirut Reconstruction

Egyptian Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry with Egypt's field hospital team in Lebanon (Egyptian Foreign Ministry)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry with Egypt's field hospital team in Lebanon (Egyptian Foreign Ministry)

Egypt’s Minister of Foreign Affairs, Sameh Shoukry, said on Tuesday that Egypt is working to meet Lebanon’s priorities following the Beirut explosion last week.

During his solidarity visit to Beirut, Shoukry asserted that Egypt would set up an air bridge for relief and humanitarian aid, and a sea bridge for reconstruction. He added that Egypt is intensifying its efforts to stand by the people of Lebanon during their crisis.

Shoukry was received by Lebanese President Michel Aoun at the Baabda Palace in Beirut.

He also met with Lebanese Parliament Speaker, Nabih Berri, in addition to other senior politicians and political leaders. They included former Lebanese Prime Minister Saad Hariri, head of the Kataeb Party Samy Gemayel, head of the Lebanese Forces Party Samir Geagea, head of Marada Movement Suleiman Frangieh, and head of Progressive Socialist Party Walid Jumblatt.

“We have a directive to work closely, through Egyptian government agencies, to meet the needs and priorities of Lebanon as quickly as possible,” Shoukry stressed.

During his visit, Shoukry also inspected the Egyptian Field Hospital in Lebanon, which accepted the wounded in the huge explosion at the Beirut port. He hailed the important role played by the hospital, and the high-quality free treatment services it is providing. The six-clinic facility has opened its doors to victims only one hour after the explosion took place.

Moreover, Egypt sent, on Monday, the third shipment of urgent medical and relief supplies to the Lebanese capital, according to an Egyptian army statement.

On Tuesday, Jordan’s Minister of Foreign Affairs, Ayman Safadi, visited Beirut to reaffirm Jordan’s solidarity with Lebanon and coordinate aid efforts. Safadi said that the Jordanian field hospital will remain as long as it is needed, and that his country will send relief supplies to Beirut, the first of which will arrive next Thursday. He stressed that Lebanon will not be alone in facing the repercussions of the explosion.

Meanwhile, Lebanon’s General Directorate of State Security said in a statement, on Tuesday, that it had discovered security flaws in Beirut port that led to the explosion last week.

According to documents seen by Reuters and senior security sources, Lebanese security officials warned Prime Minister Hassan Diab and President Michel Aoun last month that 2,750 tonnes of ammonium nitrate were poorly stored in the Beirut’s port, posing a security risk. The documents also offered apparent proof that security officials also warned the hazardous chemicals could destroy the capital if it exploded.

The State Security mission started working in the port on April 2019, with its main goal to fight corruption. During its work in the port, the mission found that there were security flaws at the port, the document added.

A later judicial investigation was launched in January 2020, which concluded that the industrial chemicals stored at the port needed to be secured immediately.

The statement added, “At the end of the investigation, Prosecutor General Ghassan Oweidat prepared a final report which was sent to the authorities.” This refers to a letter sent, by the General Directorate of State Security which oversees port security, to both Diab and Aoun on 20 July.

The devastating situation sparked mass violent protests in Beirut’s streets, which saw over 200 people injured, of which 63 were transferred to hospitals, according to the Lebanese Red Cross.

More protests occurred on Tuesday, one day following the resignation of Lebanon’s government. The renewed protests called on President Aoun to resign too.



Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.


Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of "encouraging the migration" of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.

"We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state," said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.

"We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.

"There is no other long-term solution," added Smotrich, who himself lives in a settlement in the West Bank.

Since last week, Israel has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.

The measures include a process to register land in the West Bank as "state property" and facilitate direct purchases of land by Jewish Israelis.

The measures have triggered widespread international outrage.

On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amount to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.

"We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank," they said in a statement.

"Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed.

"We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation."

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Israel to reverse its land registration policy, calling it "destabilizing" and "unlawful".

The West Bank would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state. Many on Israel's religious right view it as Israeli land.

Israeli NGOs have also raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem's borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.

The planned development, announced by Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.

The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.