Russia Defies US in Central Syria

Russian military vehicles driving in a convoy from the town of Tal Tamr to Qamishli airport, in the city of Qamishli in Syria's northeastern Hasakeh province, March 9, 2020. (AFP)
Russian military vehicles driving in a convoy from the town of Tal Tamr to Qamishli airport, in the city of Qamishli in Syria's northeastern Hasakeh province, March 9, 2020. (AFP)
TT

Russia Defies US in Central Syria

Russian military vehicles driving in a convoy from the town of Tal Tamr to Qamishli airport, in the city of Qamishli in Syria's northeastern Hasakeh province, March 9, 2020. (AFP)
Russian military vehicles driving in a convoy from the town of Tal Tamr to Qamishli airport, in the city of Qamishli in Syria's northeastern Hasakeh province, March 9, 2020. (AFP)

The Russian Defense Ministry announced Tuesday the launch of expanded operations against the increased activity of militants in central Syria, indirectly challenging American forces deployed there.

“The activity of militants in central Syria has significantly increased in the last month in wake of the amnesty issued by the northeastern administration, which is controlled by the US,” the Russian Defense Ministry said of operation “White Desert.”

According to a ministry spokesperson, ISIS militants are destabilizing the region by sabotaging transport communications and oil and gas facilities and attacking Syrian army patrols and positions.

He said the US was using the increased terrorist activity as an excuse to justify its continued deployment in eastern Syria, vowing that the operation will continue until the complete destruction of the US-controlled armed factions operating there.

“The bombing by the Russian Air Force and the Syrian Air Force, as well as artillery shelling in the White Desert operation, resulted in the liquidation of 327 militants, destruction of 134 hideouts, 17 observation points, seven ammunition depots and five underground weapons and ammunition warehouses,” the spokesman said.

The new operation is seen as retaliation to the killing of Russian Major General Vyacheslav Gladkikh in a bombing in Deir Ezzour last week.

The spokesman added that ISIS terrorists in central Syria have been joined by militants who have received training in “territories occupied by the US in the Tanf and east of the Euphrates regions.”

The Russian statements coincided with news of tensions between American and Russian forces in the Qamishli countryside. Moscow was also reinforcing its positions in Ain Issa in the Raqqa countryside, while Washington was increasing its activity in the Hasakeh countryside.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights confirmed that Moscow had launched an operation in retaliation to Gladkikh’s death, revealing that pro-Moscow militias had started a new sweep of the Deir Ezzour desert in pursuit of ISIS cells.

The rights monitor revealed that ISIS ambushes, attacks and bombings have claimed the lives of at least 661 regime fighters and loyalists, including Syrians and non-Syrians, since March 24, 2019. At least two Russians and 140 Iranians were killed in these operations, which took place in the region west of the Euphrates and the Deir Ezzour desert, Raqqa, Homs and Sweida.

A number of civilians were also killed, as well as 273 ISIS members.



EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.


Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.