Sudan, Oman Attend Peace Accord Signing in US, Envoy Predicts Morocco Next to Join

The UAE FM speaks as Israeli PM Netanyahu (L), US President Trump (2-L) and Bahrain FM Zayani (R) look on during the signing ceremony of the Abraham Accords at the White House September 15, 2020. (AFP)
The UAE FM speaks as Israeli PM Netanyahu (L), US President Trump (2-L) and Bahrain FM Zayani (R) look on during the signing ceremony of the Abraham Accords at the White House September 15, 2020. (AFP)
TT

Sudan, Oman Attend Peace Accord Signing in US, Envoy Predicts Morocco Next to Join

The UAE FM speaks as Israeli PM Netanyahu (L), US President Trump (2-L) and Bahrain FM Zayani (R) look on during the signing ceremony of the Abraham Accords at the White House September 15, 2020. (AFP)
The UAE FM speaks as Israeli PM Netanyahu (L), US President Trump (2-L) and Bahrain FM Zayani (R) look on during the signing ceremony of the Abraham Accords at the White House September 15, 2020. (AFP)

A Sudanese diplomatic delegation attended on Tuesday the signing ceremony in Washington of the normalization of relations between the United Arab Emirates and Bahrain with Israel.

Oman’s ambassador to the United States was also present at the landmark event.

Former US peace envoy Dennis Ross, meanwhile, predicted that other Arab countries will follow the example of the UAE and Bahrain. He said that Sudan, Oman and Morocco were probably next to sign accords with Israel.

Asharq Al-Awsat learned that Sudan’s deputy ambassador to the US Amira Agaraib was present at the ceremony.

Amichai Stein, Israeli correspondent at the Kann diplomatic desk and Israeli public broadcasting corporation, tweeted that Agaraib was in attendance even though Sudan and Israel do not have diplomatic ties.

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo had during a visit to Sudan in August requested that the government normalize relations with Israel and Washington would in return remove the country from its list of state sponsors of terrorism.

Sudan’s Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok informed him that since he is heading a transitional government, it does not have the mandate to sign such an accord. He also refused to link the normalization to Sudan’s removal from the terror list.

US President Donald Trump had announced minutes before Tuesday’s ceremony that five or six Arab countries will soon ink similar deals with Israel. He did not name the countries, but observers said that Sudan was probably one of them.

Sudan's ambassador to the US, Noureldin Satti, told Newsweek last week that his government will support any deal that brings peace to the region, though stressed normalization with Israel is not a fait accompli.

"The Sudanese government has not pronounced itself formally on the Israel-UAE deal," he explained. "As a peacemaker, I believe that whatever is good for peace is good for the region. The region needs peace more than anything else, but peace has to be inclusive and all-embracing."

"As things stand today, it is difficult to say that the Sudanese people are ready and willing to normalize ties with Israel," he added. "This is a highly controversial issue and the Sudanese people need time to weigh the pros and cons. But, yet again, the issue of incentives and dividends is important."



Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
TT

Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski

Germany's military has "temporarily" moved some troops out of Erbil in northern Iraq because of "escalating tensions in the Middle East," a German defense ministry spokesman told AFP on Thursday.

Dozens of German soldiers had been relocated away from the base in Erbil, capital of Iraq's autonomous Kurdistan region.

"Only the personnel necessary to maintain the operational capability of the camp in Erbil remain on site," the spokesman said.

The spokesman did not specify the source of the tensions, but US President Donald Trump has ordered a major build-up of US warships, aircraft and other weaponry in the region and threatened action against Iran.

German troops are deployed to Erbil as part of an international mission to train local Iraqi forces.

The spokesman said the German redeployment away from Erbil was "closely coordinated with our multinational partners".


UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
TT

UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)

A drone strike on a displacement camp in Sudan killed at least 15 children earlier this week, the United Nations reported late on Wednesday.

"On Monday 16 February, at least 15 children were reportedly killed and 10 wounded after a drone strike on a displacement camp in Al Sunut, West Kordofan," the UN children's agency said in a statement.

Across the Kordofan region, currently the Sudan war's fiercest battlefield, "we are seeing the same disturbing patterns from Darfur -- children killed, injured, displaced and cut off from the services they need to survive," UNICEF's Executive Director Catherine Russell said.


MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible, following an Israeli decision to end its activities there.

In early February, Israel announced it was terminating all the activities in Gaza by the medical charity, known by its French acronym MSF, after it failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff.

MSF has slammed the move, which takes effect on March 1, as a "pretext" to obstruct aid.

"For the time being, we are still working in Gaza, and we plan to keep running our operations as long as we can," Filipe Ribeiro told AFP in Amman, but said operations were already facing challenges.

"Since the beginning of January, we are not anymore in the capacity to get international staff inside Gaza. The Israeli authorities actually denied any entry to Gaza, but also to the West Bank," he said.

Ribeiro added that MSF's ability to bring medical supplies into Gaza had also been impacted.

"They're not allowed for now, but we have some stocks in our pharmacies that will allow us to keep running operations for the time being," he said.

"We do have teams in Gaza that are still working, both national and international, and we have stocks."

In December, Israel announced it would prevent 37 aid organizations, including MSF, from working in Gaza from March 1 for failing to submit detailed information about their Palestinian employees, drawing widespread condemnation from NGOs and the United Nations.

It had alleged that two MSF employees had links with Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which the medical charity has repeatedly and vehemently denied.

MSF says it did not provide the names of its Palestinian staff because Israeli authorities offered no assurances regarding their safety.

Ribeiro warned of the massive impact the termination of MSF's operations would have for healthcare in war-shattered Gaza.

"MSF is one of the biggest actors when it comes to the health provision in Gaza and the West Bank, and if we are obliged to leave, then we will create a huge void in Gaza," he said.

The charity says it currently provides at least 20 percent of hospital beds in the territory and operates around 20 health centers.

In 2025 alone, it carried out more than 800,000 medical consultations, treated more than 100,000 trauma cases and assisted more than 10,000 infant deliveries.