Security Official Killed Near Damascus

People inspect the damage at the site of an attack by two suicide bombers in Damascus, Syria. Reuters file photo
People inspect the damage at the site of an attack by two suicide bombers in Damascus, Syria. Reuters file photo
TT
20

Security Official Killed Near Damascus

People inspect the damage at the site of an attack by two suicide bombers in Damascus, Syria. Reuters file photo
People inspect the damage at the site of an attack by two suicide bombers in Damascus, Syria. Reuters file photo

A Syrian security official was killed while traveling in Damascus’ countryside after a number of unknown gunmen targeted his convoy.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR) said the gunmen opened fire on the head of the “military security detachment” on al-Salam highway near Kanaker town in western Ghouta.

One of his escorts was also killed in the attack.

The official is from Banias city.

Tensions have continued to grow in Kanaker after three women from the town were arrested by the regime's security services for unknown reasons.

The Observatory noted that several young men took down a huge poster of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, setting it on fire, following the arrest of the women.

According to SOHR sources, the town has been witnessing rising tensions and deployment of local gunmen on main roads.

The Observatory also said that unknown gunmen shot a former member of the opposition, who had been part of the “reconciliation and settlement” initiative and had later joined the ranks of regime forces.

This brings the number of attacks and assassination attempts through IEDs, landmines, booby-trapped vehicles and shootings to over 678 since June.

The number of deaths in the same period has risen to 449 persons, 123 of whom are civilians, including 12 women and 15 children, in addition to 209 regime soldiers and loyalists.

In addition, 79 people from opposition factions, who had made “settlements and reconciliations” with the regime and joined security services, have also been killed, including former leaders, 23 members of Syrian militias affiliated with Lebanon’s Hezbollah and Iranian forces, and 22 members of the so-called “Fifth Brigade.”



UK Police Arrest Two Men over Alleged Hezbollah Links

A protester holding a flag of Lebanon's Hezbollah during a demonstration in Istanbul, Tuesday, May 15, 2018. AP Photo/Emrah Gurel
A protester holding a flag of Lebanon's Hezbollah during a demonstration in Istanbul, Tuesday, May 15, 2018. AP Photo/Emrah Gurel
TT
20

UK Police Arrest Two Men over Alleged Hezbollah Links

A protester holding a flag of Lebanon's Hezbollah during a demonstration in Istanbul, Tuesday, May 15, 2018. AP Photo/Emrah Gurel
A protester holding a flag of Lebanon's Hezbollah during a demonstration in Istanbul, Tuesday, May 15, 2018. AP Photo/Emrah Gurel

British counter-terrorism police said on Thursday they had arrested two men accused of being linked to the banned group Hezbollah, saying their investigation involved alleged activity both overseas and in Britain.

Detectives from London's Counter Terrorism Command (CTC) arrested a 39-year-old man in north London on suspicion of being a member of a proscribed group, preparing acts of terrorism and being involved in funding for the purposed of terrorism, Reuters said.

A second man, 35, was arrested in west London on suspicion of being a member of a banned organization.

"Our investigation remains ongoing, but I hope that these arrests show we will take robust action against anyone here whom we suspect as being involved in terrorist activity regardless of whether their activity is focused here in the UK or elsewhere," said commander Dominic Murphy, head of the CTC.

Police said the investigation related to the Iran-backed Lebanese movement Hezbollah which Britain outlawed in 2019 when it classified it as a terrorist group. There was no immediate threat to the public, they said.

The two men were released on police bail until mid-July.