US-Sanctioned Syrian Businessman Brings Back 'British Statue' to Damascus

 The horse-head statue installed in the center of Damascus (Photo: Damascus Governorate)
The horse-head statue installed in the center of Damascus (Photo: Damascus Governorate)
TT

US-Sanctioned Syrian Businessman Brings Back 'British Statue' to Damascus

 The horse-head statue installed in the center of Damascus (Photo: Damascus Governorate)
The horse-head statue installed in the center of Damascus (Photo: Damascus Governorate)

Syrian businessman Wassim Kattan, whose name is on the US sanctions list, returned a horse-head statue – a smaller version of the famous British sculpture - to the square in central Damascus, hours after it was removed.

The 40-meter square, close to the Presidential Palace in Al-Rawda, underwent renovation works that lasted for six months. The square was decorated with a miniature version of the sculpture of the British artist Nic Fiddian-Green, who executed the original sculpture of a horse drinking water in 2011.

On Tuesday, the Damascus governorate announced the reinstallation of the sculpture in Syriatel Square in Al-Maliki neighborhood. The media office in the province said that the statue, which was placed on Sunday and removed the next day, was returned on Tuesday “after fixing some issues.”

Wassim Kattan, the head of the Damascus Countryside Chamber of Commerce and the candidate for the Damascus Chamber of Commerce elections, was the first to announce the return of the sculpture that was executed upon his request. He had earlier published a post on his Facebook page, in which he talked about the art work that has been copied in many countries around the world.

Sources said that Kattan, born in Damascus in 1976, was behind the initiative to rehabilitate the Syriatel Square, which began six months ago. Sculptor Hussam Fouad Jounoud, a former professor at the College of Fine Arts, was commissioned to create a miniature copy of the horse-head statue in London.

The Syriatel banner was removed from the square following a dispute between the company’s main shareholder, Rami Makhlouf, and his cousin, President Bashar Al-Assad.

Sources suggested that Kattan’s renovation of the square “is a prelude to proposing his name as an alternative to Makhlouf, especially since he is a candidate for the presidency of the Damascus Chamber of Commerce.”

The US Treasury Department had named Kattan on the second sanctions list under the Caesar Act issued last June. The Treasury Department’s statement indicated that Kattan, whose name first appeared in the Syrian business world in 2017, has several contracts with the Syrian government to develop a shopping mall and hotels in Damascus.

Despite the artistic features of the sculpture which were recognized by many artists, the timing of the installation was provocative, as it came amid a severe gasoline crisis that paralyzed the regime-controlled areas since the beginning of September, in addition to the deteriorating economic situation in many Syrian governorates.

An architect in an interior architecture and decoration company considered spending money on revamping the square amid the economic blockade and hunger “a rude and provocative behavior...”

“We are not well and Syria is not well,” he said.



Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
TT

Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski

Germany's military has "temporarily" moved some troops out of Erbil in northern Iraq because of "escalating tensions in the Middle East," a German defense ministry spokesman told AFP on Thursday.

Dozens of German soldiers had been relocated away from the base in Erbil, capital of Iraq's autonomous Kurdistan region.

"Only the personnel necessary to maintain the operational capability of the camp in Erbil remain on site," the spokesman said.

The spokesman did not specify the source of the tensions, but US President Donald Trump has ordered a major build-up of US warships, aircraft and other weaponry in the region and threatened action against Iran.

German troops are deployed to Erbil as part of an international mission to train local Iraqi forces.

The spokesman said the German redeployment away from Erbil was "closely coordinated with our multinational partners".


UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
TT

UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)

A drone strike on a displacement camp in Sudan killed at least 15 children earlier this week, the United Nations reported late on Wednesday.

"On Monday 16 February, at least 15 children were reportedly killed and 10 wounded after a drone strike on a displacement camp in Al Sunut, West Kordofan," the UN children's agency said in a statement.

Across the Kordofan region, currently the Sudan war's fiercest battlefield, "we are seeing the same disturbing patterns from Darfur -- children killed, injured, displaced and cut off from the services they need to survive," UNICEF's Executive Director Catherine Russell said.


MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible, following an Israeli decision to end its activities there.

In early February, Israel announced it was terminating all the activities in Gaza by the medical charity, known by its French acronym MSF, after it failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff.

MSF has slammed the move, which takes effect on March 1, as a "pretext" to obstruct aid.

"For the time being, we are still working in Gaza, and we plan to keep running our operations as long as we can," Filipe Ribeiro told AFP in Amman, but said operations were already facing challenges.

"Since the beginning of January, we are not anymore in the capacity to get international staff inside Gaza. The Israeli authorities actually denied any entry to Gaza, but also to the West Bank," he said.

Ribeiro added that MSF's ability to bring medical supplies into Gaza had also been impacted.

"They're not allowed for now, but we have some stocks in our pharmacies that will allow us to keep running operations for the time being," he said.

"We do have teams in Gaza that are still working, both national and international, and we have stocks."

In December, Israel announced it would prevent 37 aid organizations, including MSF, from working in Gaza from March 1 for failing to submit detailed information about their Palestinian employees, drawing widespread condemnation from NGOs and the United Nations.

It had alleged that two MSF employees had links with Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which the medical charity has repeatedly and vehemently denied.

MSF says it did not provide the names of its Palestinian staff because Israeli authorities offered no assurances regarding their safety.

Ribeiro warned of the massive impact the termination of MSF's operations would have for healthcare in war-shattered Gaza.

"MSF is one of the biggest actors when it comes to the health provision in Gaza and the West Bank, and if we are obliged to leave, then we will create a huge void in Gaza," he said.

The charity says it currently provides at least 20 percent of hospital beds in the territory and operates around 20 health centers.

In 2025 alone, it carried out more than 800,000 medical consultations, treated more than 100,000 trauma cases and assisted more than 10,000 infant deliveries.