From Rome to Rio: Where Fans Are Back in Stadiums and Where They Are Barred

 Fans of Borussia Dortmund, Monaco, FC Copenhagen and AZ Alkmaar have all been able to watch their teams over the past week. Composite: AFP via Getty Images; Reuters; FrontZoneSport via Getty Images; Soccrates/Getty Images
Fans of Borussia Dortmund, Monaco, FC Copenhagen and AZ Alkmaar have all been able to watch their teams over the past week. Composite: AFP via Getty Images; Reuters; FrontZoneSport via Getty Images; Soccrates/Getty Images
TT

From Rome to Rio: Where Fans Are Back in Stadiums and Where They Are Barred

 Fans of Borussia Dortmund, Monaco, FC Copenhagen and AZ Alkmaar have all been able to watch their teams over the past week. Composite: AFP via Getty Images; Reuters; FrontZoneSport via Getty Images; Soccrates/Getty Images
Fans of Borussia Dortmund, Monaco, FC Copenhagen and AZ Alkmaar have all been able to watch their teams over the past week. Composite: AFP via Getty Images; Reuters; FrontZoneSport via Getty Images; Soccrates/Getty Images

France

The government on Wednesday announced a reduction in the number of fans allowed in grounds. Initially 5,000 had been permitted but rising Covid cases (from roughly 500 daily to more than 10,000) prompted a change to a maximum of 1,000. Clubs including Monaco, Lille and Bordeaux will allow 1,000 spectators this weekend, whereas Nice will play behind closed doors for the foreseeable future at their own volition; PSG said they too would not allow fans but reports have indicated their president, Nasser al-Khelaifi, will have the final say. Marseille, a coronavirus hotspot, had been given a government order to play behind closed doors but a local government directive has cleared them to have 1,000 fans at Saturday’s game against Metz.

Football in front of fans has got off to a wobbly start to say the least. Ligue 1 was the biggest league in Europe to curtail last season and the first match of the new campaign was beset by problems, with Saint-Étienne’s trip to Marseille postponed owing to a rash of positive cases among the hosts’ squad. At the time, the league’s policy was that matches could not be played if more than three players tested positive but that has been adjusted to allow games if 20 out of 30 players in a squad tested negative. Eric Devin

Germany

Three days before the start of the season, Bundesliga clubs were given the go-ahead to welcome back crowds to a maximum of 20% of stadium capacity. This was by no means a hard and fast rule – and it couldn’t be, with clubs bound by the health and safety rules set by their federal state. So Borussia Dortmund had 9,300 – less than an eighth of capacity – for their season opener against Borussia Mönchengladbach on Saturday, whereas state authorities decided late on to bar spectators from matches at Bayern Munich and Köln in response to rising rates of infection.

A survey by the broadcaster ARD this week in which 63% of those polled – not all football fans – were in favor of the return of fans suggested a shift in the national mood, but many supporters are lukewarm. Some ultras have declined to go back and Dynamo Dresden’s ultras this week said they would not create an “active atmosphere” or do choreographies while restrictions remained. Gladbach have tickets unsold for their 10,000-capacity weekend match with Union Berlin, as distancing measures leave friends and family members separated. The current six-week run with fans is a trial period, and clearly there are plenty of issues to iron out. Andy Brassell

Italy

Serie A teams were allowed 1,000 fans on the opening weekend, though the decision came so late that not all managed it. The sports minister, Vincenzo Spadafora, confirmed the regulations on Saturday – the day the season began.

He had announced one day earlier that the Italian Open tennis tournament in Rome would be allowed that number for its semi-finals and final – marking a new policy for open-air sporting competitions. Events quickly overtook him, as the regional government in Emilia-Romagna interpreted this as meaning it could allow fans into football games that same weekend at Parma and Sassuolo. Spadafora had only intended for the initial decision to cover one-off events rather than ongoing ones such as a league season but ultimately extended the rule to cover all of Serie A.

The government hopes to increase the number of fans in stadiums soon, and the deputy health minister, Pierpaolo Sileri, has suggested teams may be allowed something close to one-third of capacity. The government hopes to increase the number of fans in stadiums soon. Regional leaders were consulted on Thursday and a proposal is being carried forward to allow for Serie A stadiums to be filled to 25% of their capacity, pending scrutiny from the government’s scientific committee. Nicky Bandini

At the back end of last season La Liga had begun preparing a protocol for fans to return to stadiums with the hope of 30% occupation in the first couple of months of the new season, but that has been put on hold indefinitely. With Covid numbers rising, Madrid subjected to heavy restrictions and likely to face another lockdown, and other regions seeing cases rise, few are even contemplating the return of supporters. It hasn’t even been much of a subject of debate, still less something that has been pushed. Indeed, rather than being celebrated, Sevilla playing the European Super Cup in front of fans this week was greeted with caution and concern.

Outside the first and second division, in what is usually called “amateur” football (even though it is not), clubs are set to be allowed to grant access to small numbers of fans (fewer than 1,000) depending on the health authorities in each province, although those leagues do not start until October and the plans are yet to be confirmed. In the top two divisions, by contrast, no one anticipates opening doors before Christmas. Sid Lowe

Selected others

In Budapest last weekend 7,000 people watched Ferencvaros thump Paksi 5-0 at the Groupama Arena. Hungarian football has been open to fans since the beginning of June and the capital’s other main stadium, the Puskas Arena, hosted the European Super Cup on Thursday with 20,000 fans in situ. Hungary has seen a dramatic growth in coronavirus cases since August. Hungarian rules require three out of four seats in a given stadia to be left empty and for every other row to be left clear.

In the Netherlands, fans have been allowed back into grounds as well but rules require that they not only comply with social distancing but refrain from chanting. In Denmark, crowds have also returned but in very small numbers: 240 watched Copenhagen’s home defeat by Brøndby last weekend.

On the other side of the world, Brazilian authorities this week announced their intention to fill their stadiums to a third of capacity, meaning up to 25,000 people could attend the Maracanã. There is no set date for fans’ return, however, with Brazil still in the middle of one of the world’s worst outbreaks of Covid-19. Paul MacInnes



IOC Boss Coventry Hails Milano Cortina Games a Success

 20 February 2026, Italy, Milan: President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Kirsty Coventry holds a press conference. (dpa)
20 February 2026, Italy, Milan: President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Kirsty Coventry holds a press conference. (dpa)
TT

IOC Boss Coventry Hails Milano Cortina Games a Success

 20 February 2026, Italy, Milan: President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Kirsty Coventry holds a press conference. (dpa)
20 February 2026, Italy, Milan: President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Kirsty Coventry holds a press conference. (dpa)

The Milano Cortina Olympics exceeded expectations despite a shaky build-up, IOC President Kirsty Coventry said on Friday, hailing the first spread-out Winter Games a success.

"These Games are truly ... successful in a new way of doing things, in a sustainable way of doing things, in a way that I think many people thought maybe we couldn't do, or couldn't be done well, and it's been done extremely well, and it's surpassed everyone's expectations," Coventry told a press conference.

It was the International Olympic Committee chief's clearest endorsement yet of a format that split events across several Alpine clusters rather than concentrating them in one host city.

Her assessment came after two weeks in which organizers sought to prove that a geographically dispersed Games could still deliver a consistent athlete experience.

The smooth delivery ‌comes after years ‌of logistical and political challenges, including construction delays at Milan’s Santagiulia Arena ‌and ⁠controversy over building ⁠a new sliding center in Cortina against IOC advice.

Organizers have also faced isolated disruptions during the Games, such as suspected sabotage on rail lines and protests in Milan over housing and environmental issues.

Transport concerns across the dispersed venues have been mitigated by limited cross-regional travel among spectators, though some competitors had to walk to the Cortina Curling Olympic Stadium in heavy snowfall that stopped traffic.

Central to the success of the Games, Coventry argued, was the effort to standardize conditions across multiple athlete villages despite the distances separating venues from Cortina d’Ampezzo to ⁠Livigno and Bormio.

Italian athletes’ performances also helped ticket sales, which amounted to ‌about 1.4 million.

"And the athletes are extremely happy. And they're happy ‌because the experiences that the MiCo (Milano Cortina) team and my team delivered to them have been the same," she ‌said.

Mixed relay silver medalist Tommaso Giacomel did, however, lament the fact there was no Olympic village near ‌the Antholz-Anterselva Biathlon Arena and that competitors were dotted around different hotels near the venue instead of in one place.

TWO OPENING CEREMONIES

Two opening ceremonies were held - the main one at Milan’s San Siro stadium and a more low-key parade on Cortina d’Ampezzo's Corso Italia, where athletes and spectators were within touching distance.

Feedback from competitors suggested the more intimate ‌settings had in some cases enhanced the Olympic atmosphere, Coventry said, taking the Cortina opening ceremony as an example.

The Zimbabwean, presiding over her first Games ⁠as IOC chief after elections in ⁠2025, framed Milano Cortina as proof of concept for future hosts grappling with rising costs and climate constraints, while acknowledging adjustments would follow.

"It allows us to really look at ourselves and look at the things that we have in place and how we're then going to make certain adjustments for the future," she said.

Beyond logistics, Coventry pointed to the broader impact of the Games, highlighting gender balance - with women making up 47% of competitors - and global engagement as marks of progress.

"But it's been an incredible experience and we're all very proud to have gender equity playing a big role in the delivery of the Games," she said, describing a "tremendous Games" in which athletes have "come together and shared in their passion".

With the closing ceremony in Verona approaching, Coventry said the focus would soon shift to a formal evaluation process, but insisted the headline conclusion was already clear.

"So we look forward to doing that and to learning from all the incredible experiences that I think all of the stakeholders have had across these Games, across these past two weeks," she said.


‘A Huge Mistake.’ Kompany Hits Out at Mourinho for Vinícius Júnior Comments

14 February 2026, Bremen: Bayern Munich coach Vincent Kompany gestures during the German Bundesliga soccer match between Werder Bremen and Bayern Munich at Weserstation. (dpa)
14 February 2026, Bremen: Bayern Munich coach Vincent Kompany gestures during the German Bundesliga soccer match between Werder Bremen and Bayern Munich at Weserstation. (dpa)
TT

‘A Huge Mistake.’ Kompany Hits Out at Mourinho for Vinícius Júnior Comments

14 February 2026, Bremen: Bayern Munich coach Vincent Kompany gestures during the German Bundesliga soccer match between Werder Bremen and Bayern Munich at Weserstation. (dpa)
14 February 2026, Bremen: Bayern Munich coach Vincent Kompany gestures during the German Bundesliga soccer match between Werder Bremen and Bayern Munich at Weserstation. (dpa)

Bayern Munich coach Vincent Kompany has criticized José Mourinho for attacking the character of Vinícius Júnior after the Real Madrid star accused an opponent of racially insulting him during a Champions League match.

Benfica coach Mourinho suggested that Brazil forward Vinícius had incited Benfica's players with his celebrations after scoring the only goal in Tuesday's playoff match.

Vinícius accused Benfica's Gianluca Prestianni of calling him "monkey" during a confrontation after his goal.

Mourinho also questioned why Vinícius, who is Black and has been subjected to repeated racist insults in Spain, was so frequently targeted.

"There is something wrong because it happens in every stadium," Mourinho said. "The stadium where Vinícius played something happened. Always."

Speaking on Friday, Kompany condemned Mourinho's comments.

"So after the game you have the leader of an organization, José Mourinho, who attacks the character of Vinícius Júnior by bringing in the type of celebration to discredit what Vinícius is doing in this moment," Kompany said. "And for me in terms of leadership, it’s a huge mistake and it’s something that we should not accept."

Mourinho’s celebrations

UEFA appointed a special investigator on Wednesday to gather evidence about what happened in Lisbon in Madrid’s 1-0 win in the first leg of the Champions League playoffs. Madrid said it had sent "all available evidence" of the alleged incident to European soccer's governing body.

Referring to Vinícius' celebrations after curling a shot into the top corner, Mourinho said he should "celebrate in a respectful way."

Kompany pointed out Mourinho's own history of exuberant celebrations — such as when he ran down the sideline to cheer when his Porto team beat Manchester United in the Champions League.

Kompany said Mourinho's former players "love him" and added "I know he’s a good person."

"I don’t need to judge him as a person, but I know what I’ve heard. I understand maybe what he’s done, but he’s made a mistake and it’s something that hopefully in the future won’t happen like this again," he said.

Prestianni denied racially insulting Vinícius. Benfica said the Argentine player was the victim of a "defamation campaign."

‘Right thing to do’

Kompany said Vinícius' reaction "cannot be faked."

"You can see it — his reaction is an emotional reaction. I don’t see any benefit for him to go to the referee and put all this misery on his shoulders," he said. "There is absolutely no reason for Vini Junior to go and do this.

"I think in his mind he’s doing it more because it’s the right thing to do in that moment."

Kompany added: "You have a player who’s complaining. You have a player who says he didn’t do it. And I think unless the player himself comes forward, it’s difficult. It’s a difficult case."


FIFA to Lead $75m Palestinian Soccer Rebuilding Fund

President of FIFA Gianni Infantino attended the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump's 'Board of Peace'. CHIP SOMODEVILLA / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA/AFP
President of FIFA Gianni Infantino attended the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump's 'Board of Peace'. CHIP SOMODEVILLA / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA/AFP
TT

FIFA to Lead $75m Palestinian Soccer Rebuilding Fund

President of FIFA Gianni Infantino attended the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump's 'Board of Peace'. CHIP SOMODEVILLA / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA/AFP
President of FIFA Gianni Infantino attended the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump's 'Board of Peace'. CHIP SOMODEVILLA / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA/AFP

FIFA will spearhead a $75 million fund to rebuild soccer facilities in Gaza that were destroyed by the war between Israel and Hamas, President Donald Trump and the sport's governing body said Thursday.

Trump made the announcement in Washington at the first meeting of his "Board of Peace," an amorphous institution that features two dozen of the US president's close allies and is initially focused on rebuilding the Gaza strip, said AFP.

"I'm also pleased to announce that FIFA will be helping to raise a total of $75 million for projects in Gaza," said Trump.

"And I think they're soccer related, where you're doing fields and you're getting the greatest stars in the world to go there -- people that are bigger stars than you and I, Gianni," he added, referring to FIFA president Gianni Infantino, who was present at the event.

"So it's really something. We'll soon be detailing the announcement, and if I can do I'll get over there with you," Trump said.

Later Thursday, FIFA issued a statement providing more details, including plans to construct a football academy, a new 20,000-seat national stadium and dozens of pitches.

The FIFA communique did not mention Trump's $75 million figure, and said funds would be raised "from international leaders and institutions."

Infantino has fostered close ties with Trump, awarding him an inaugural FIFA "Peace Prize" at the World Cup draw in December.

At Thursday's meeting, the FIFA president donned a red baseball cap emblazoned with "USA" and "45-47," the latter a reference to Trump's two terms in the White House.

In FIFA's statement, Infantino hailed "a landmark partnership agreement that will foster investment into football for the purpose of helping the recovery process in post conflict areas."

The "Board of Peace" came together after the Trump administration, teaming up with Qatar and Egypt, negotiated a ceasefire in October to halt two years of devastating war in Gaza.

The United States says it is now focused on disarming Hamas -- the Palestinian group whose unprecedented October 7, 2023, attack on Israel triggered the massive offensive.