Iranian Singer Stuck in Limbo on Divided Cyprus

Iranian singer Omid Tootian poses for a picture during an interview in the UN-controlled buffer zone in the Cypriot capital Nicosia, on September 23, 2020. (Photo by Mario GOLDMAN / AFP)
Iranian singer Omid Tootian poses for a picture during an interview in the UN-controlled buffer zone in the Cypriot capital Nicosia, on September 23, 2020. (Photo by Mario GOLDMAN / AFP)
TT

Iranian Singer Stuck in Limbo on Divided Cyprus

Iranian singer Omid Tootian poses for a picture during an interview in the UN-controlled buffer zone in the Cypriot capital Nicosia, on September 23, 2020. (Photo by Mario GOLDMAN / AFP)
Iranian singer Omid Tootian poses for a picture during an interview in the UN-controlled buffer zone in the Cypriot capital Nicosia, on September 23, 2020. (Photo by Mario GOLDMAN / AFP)

Dissident Iranian singer Omid Tootian has for days been sleeping in a tent in the buffer zone of the world's last divided capital, after being refused entry by the Republic of Cyprus.

"I can't go to one side or the other," the performer, in his mid-40s, whose songs speak out against Iranian authorities, told AFP. "I'm stuck living in the street."

His tent is pitched between two checkpoints in western Nicosia, among the weeds outside an abandoned house in the quasi-"no man's land" that separates the northern and southern parts of Cyprus, which has been divided since 1974.

In early September, he travelled to the north of the Mediterranean island, controlled by the self-proclaimed Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus, recognized only by Ankara.

Two weeks later, Tootian, who had been living in Turkey for around three years, tried for the first time to seek asylum in the Republic of Cyprus, which controls the southern two-thirds of the island and is in the European Union.

But once at the green line, the 180-kilometer-long buffer zone that traverses the island and is patrolled by United Nations peacekeepers, he was denied entry into the south.

Refusing to return to the TRNC, where he fears he would be in danger, Tootian found himself in limbo in the few hundred meters of land that divides the two territories.

"I don't know why they haven't approved my entry... but I think it's because of the coronavirus," he said, speaking at the pro-unification Home for Cooperation community center in the buffer zone where he eats, grooms and spends most of his days.

"But I hope things will become clear because now I don't know what will happen, and it's a very difficult situation."

Because his songs are very critical of the Iranian regime, Tootian fears that if he returns to the north of the island, he will first be sent back to Turkey and then to Iran.

"Turkey is no longer a safe country for me because the Turkish regime is close to Iran," he said, adding that he had for the past six months been receiving anonymous "threats" from unknown callers using private phone numbers.

Since arriving at the checkpoint, Tootian has tried "four or five times" in a week to enter, without success, despite the help of a migrant rights advocacy group known as KISA and the UN mission in the buffer zone.

According to European and international regulations, Cyprus cannot expel an asylum seeker until the application has been considered and a final decision issued.

The police said "they have restrictions not to let anybody in", KISA member Doros Polycarpou told AFP.

Cypriot police spokesman Christos Andreou said "it is not the responsibility of the police" to decide who can enter the Republic of Cyprus.

They "follow the instructions of the Ministry of Interior", put in place "because of the pandemic", he added.

According to the ministry, "all persons who are willing to cross from a legal entry point to the area controlled by the Republic must present a negative COVID-19 test carried out within the last 72 hours" -- a requirement Tootian said he had fulfilled.

Polycarpou charges that the Cypriot "government has used the pandemic to restrict basic human rights".

A spokeswoman for the UN refugee agency in Cyprus Emilia Strovolidou said "there are other means to protect asylum seekers and public health at the same time... we can test people when they arrive or take quarantine measures".

"We have someone who is seeking international protection, he should have access to the process," she added.

Due to the closure of other migration routes to Europe, asylum applications have increased sixfold over the last five years in Cyprus -- a country of fewer than one million inhabitants -- from 2,265 in 2015 to 13,650 in 2019, according to Eurostat data.



Energy Secretary: US to Stop Iran's Nuclear Ambitions 'One Way or the Other'

US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)
US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)
TT

Energy Secretary: US to Stop Iran's Nuclear Ambitions 'One Way or the Other'

US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)
US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)

The United States will deter Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons "one way or the other", US Energy Secretary Chris Wright warned on Wednesday.

"They've been very clear about what they would do with nuclear weapons. It's entirely unacceptable," Wright told reporters in Paris on the sidelines of meetings of the International Energy Agency.

"So one way or the other, we are going to end, deter Iran's march towards a nuclear weapon," Wright said.

US and Iranian officials held talks in Geneva on Tuesday aimed at averting the possibility of US military intervention to curb Tehran's nuclear program.

Iran said following the talks that they had agreed on "guiding principles" for a deal to avoid conflict.

US Vice President JD Vance, however, said Tehran had not yet acknowledged all of Washington's red lines.


Iran, Russia to Conduct Joint Drills in the Sea of Oman 

This handout photo released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepanews on February 17, 2026, shows boats maneuvering around a tanker vessel during a military exercise by members of the IRGC and navy in the Strait of Hormuz. (Sepahnews / AFP)
This handout photo released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepanews on February 17, 2026, shows boats maneuvering around a tanker vessel during a military exercise by members of the IRGC and navy in the Strait of Hormuz. (Sepahnews / AFP)
TT

Iran, Russia to Conduct Joint Drills in the Sea of Oman 

This handout photo released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepanews on February 17, 2026, shows boats maneuvering around a tanker vessel during a military exercise by members of the IRGC and navy in the Strait of Hormuz. (Sepahnews / AFP)
This handout photo released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepanews on February 17, 2026, shows boats maneuvering around a tanker vessel during a military exercise by members of the IRGC and navy in the Strait of Hormuz. (Sepahnews / AFP)

Iran and Russia will conduct naval maneuvers in the Sea of Oman on Thursday, following the latest round of talks between Tehran and Washington in Geneva, Iranian media reported.

On Monday, the Revolutionary Guards, the ideological arm of Iran's military, also launched exercises in the strategic Strait of Hormuz, a challenge to US naval forces deployed in the region.

"The joint naval exercise of Iran and Russia will take place tomorrow (Thursday) in the Sea of Oman and in the northern Indian Ocean," the ISNA agency reported, citing drill spokesman, Rear Admiral Hassan Maghsoudloo.

"The aim is to strengthen maritime security and to deepen relations between the navies of the two countries," he said, without specifying the duration of the drill.

The war games come as Iran struck an upbeat tone following the second round of Oman-mediated negotiations in Geneva on Tuesday.

Previous talks between the two foes collapsed following the unprecedented Israeli strike on Iran in June 2025, which sparked a 12-day war that the United States briefly joined.

US President Donald Trump has deployed a significant naval force in the region, which he has described as an "armada."

Iranian officials have repeatedly threatened to block the Strait of Hormuz, particularly during periods of tension with the United States, but it has never been closed.

A key passageway for global shipments of oil and liquefied natural gas, the Strait of Hormuz has been the scene of several incidents in the past and has returned to the spotlight as pressure has ratcheted amid the US-Iran talks.

Iran announced on Tuesday that it would partially close it for a few hours for "security" reasons during its own drills in the strait.


First European Flight Lands in Venezuela Since Maduro’s Ouster 

A man holds up a Venezuelan flag while taking part in a march calling for amnesty for political prisoners and to mark Youth Day, in Caracas, Venezuela, February 12, 2026. (Reuters)
A man holds up a Venezuelan flag while taking part in a march calling for amnesty for political prisoners and to mark Youth Day, in Caracas, Venezuela, February 12, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

First European Flight Lands in Venezuela Since Maduro’s Ouster 

A man holds up a Venezuelan flag while taking part in a march calling for amnesty for political prisoners and to mark Youth Day, in Caracas, Venezuela, February 12, 2026. (Reuters)
A man holds up a Venezuelan flag while taking part in a march calling for amnesty for political prisoners and to mark Youth Day, in Caracas, Venezuela, February 12, 2026. (Reuters)

A plane from Spain's Air Europa landed in Venezuela Tuesday, according to a flight tracking monitor, the first European commercial flight to arrive in the country since the United States toppled president Nicolas Maduro.

A slew of international carriers stopped flying to Venezuela after the United States warned of possible military activity there in late November -- a prelude to its surprise attack on January 3.

The Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner landed at Simon Bolivar International Airport, which serves the Venezuelan capital Caracas, at 9:00 pm (0100 GMT).

Since US forces raided Venezuela and captured Maduro, US President Donald Trump has struck a cooperative relationship with interim president Delcy Rodriguez.

Late last month he called for flights to resume to the country.

Spanish airline Iberia is evaluating security guarantees before announcing a return, according to the Spanish press.

Portugal's TAP has said it will resume flights. Colombian airline Avianca and Panama's Copa have already restarted operations.

Hoping to prompt US flights, the Trump administration has lifted a 2019 ban on US airlines flying to the country.