Erdogan Hints at New Military Operation in Northern Syria

Turkish military vehicles are seen in Hazano near Idlib, Syria. (Reuters file photo)
Turkish military vehicles are seen in Hazano near Idlib, Syria. (Reuters file photo)
TT

Erdogan Hints at New Military Operation in Northern Syria

Turkish military vehicles are seen in Hazano near Idlib, Syria. (Reuters file photo)
Turkish military vehicles are seen in Hazano near Idlib, Syria. (Reuters file photo)

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan hinted that his country could launch a new military operation in northern Syria to cleanse the region of “terrorists” if pledges are not fulfilled, amid renewed tensions between Ankara and Moscow.

Erdogan was referring to two agreements reached between Turkey, the United States and Russia on removing the Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG) from the Turkish border, under which Ankara halted a military operation it had launched in Syria in October 2019.

Turkey “will be taking resolute steps until absolute stability is achieved along its southern borders,” stressed Erdogan, adding that Ankara thwarted attempts to establish a “terror corridor” along its borders and showed “our Syrian brothers and sisters that they are not alone.”

Speaking during a video conference at the inauguration of Reyhanli Dam in Hatay, he vowed that Ankara will never accept any action that may lead to another humanitarian tragedy in Syria’s Idlib province.

In recent weeks, the Syrian regime and Russia have escalated attacks against the Hayat Tahrir al-Sham (HTS) and other extremists groups in southern, northern and western parts of Idlib, which led to a new wave of displacement towards the Turkish border.

Erdogan had previously announced that Turkey remains committed to the memorandum of understanding it reached with Russia on Idlib in March. He warned, however, that Ankara will not tolerate the Syrian regime’s aggression.

He cautioned the regime that Damascus would suffer "heavy losses" if it persisted in violating the ceasefire, stressing that Turkey would not allow any "dark groups" in the region to breach it either.

Tensions have been rising between Turkey and Russia after a consultative military meeting held in Ankara in September failed to discuss Idlib.

Sources from both sides said that the officials did not agree on the points discussed during the meeting, which was described by Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu as “unfruitful.”

Russia had asked Turkey to reduce the number of military points in northwestern Syria or the number of forces deployed there, and withdraw heavy weapons at points under the control of the Syrian regime.

Ankara rejected the request, and Russia declined Turkey’s demand to hand over the cities of Manbij and Tal Rifaat.

Since the meeting, Russia has stopped carrying out joint patrols with Turkey on the Aleppo-Latakia International Road (M4), in implementation of the March 5 agreement.



EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.


Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.