The Klopp-Keane Exchange Tells Us Much About How Football Has Changed

Liverpool’s Diogo Jota celebrates after sealing the win over Arsenal with his first goal for the club. Photograph: Jason Cairnduff/Reuters
Liverpool’s Diogo Jota celebrates after sealing the win over Arsenal with his first goal for the club. Photograph: Jason Cairnduff/Reuters
TT

The Klopp-Keane Exchange Tells Us Much About How Football Has Changed

Liverpool’s Diogo Jota celebrates after sealing the win over Arsenal with his first goal for the club. Photograph: Jason Cairnduff/Reuters
Liverpool’s Diogo Jota celebrates after sealing the win over Arsenal with his first goal for the club. Photograph: Jason Cairnduff/Reuters

Football has changed. Most disagreements between managers and pundits are tedious affairs, rooted in complex and broadly impenetrable codes of respect and of concern only to professional ax-grinders. But the slightly spiky exchange between Roy Keane and Jürgen Klopp after Liverpool’s 3-1 victory over Arsenal on Monday was fascinating, less for the soap opera element of a bullish Klopp interrogating an awkwardly smirking Keane, or for Keane’s dry “touchy … imagine if they’d lost” rejoinder, but for what it revealed about how the two men view the game, and what that says about its evolution.

In the Champions League quarter-final in 2000, Keane scored an own goal as Manchester United, having drawn the first leg 0-0, lost 3-2 at home to Real Madrid. At the time the tendency was to celebrate the crispness and efficiency of Madrid’s counterattacking, and Fernando Redondo’s backheel nutmeg of Henning Berg, a moment of genius that fitted a prevailing narrative of sophisticated foreign clubs outwitting the honest toilers of the Premier League.

But that wasn’t really how it was. Ruthless as Madrid had been, they were also lucky. Aitor Karanka should have been sent off in the first half for a handball on the goalline but even without that incident, and the penalty that should have resulted, United had more than enough chances to have won. But that was no longer enough, not after the way United had gone out of the Champions League against Borussia Dortmund in 1997 and Monaco in 1998 to early away goals conceded at Old Trafford.

United might have been able to rely on comebacks in the Premier League. The cavalier approach may even have been enough to win the Champions League the previous season – although they were reliant then, as Keane has said, on Bayern “bottling it”. But it was too risky; too many opportunities were lost. Teams are at their peak for very short periods of time. Age and experience, perhaps, lead inevitably to caution.

Over the following decade, United’s approach changed. The attitude, especially in Europe, effectively shifted from, “If we have 20 chances and they have five, we’ll win most games” to, “If we have five chances and they have none, we can’t lose”. And it worked, bringing another Champions League and two further finals.

It’s not that one approach is right and one wrong, and game management is anyway a sliding scale. But Klopp is prepared to allow a greater element of risk than late-period Alex Ferguson. It’s clearly something to which he has given significant thought. He described sitting deep against Pep Guardiola’s Manchester City, bunkering down and hoping for a counterattack, as being like buying a lottery ticket. Better, as he sees it, to engage high up the pitch, accept the possibility of a heavy defeat (and his Liverpool have lost 5-0 and 4-0 to City) and, at least for a side of Liverpool’s quality, increase the chance of victory.

Klopp’s point on Monday that the directive to linesmen only to raise their flags for clear offsides gives a slightly false impression was apt. A lot of what appeared promising Arenal breaks probably were offside and in previous years would have been stifled before any sense of danger had developed. It’s also true that Alexandre Lacazette’s goal came from a break of exceptional quality, at least until the cross, and then a freakish error from Andy Robertson and a bizarre and fortuitous finish. But still, Lacazette had a one-on-one to equalize.

And it wasn’t like this game wasn’t part of a pattern: Arsenal had twice played through the Liverpool press to win at the Emirates in July and in much the same way had forced a draw in the Community Shield before winning on penalties. And Liverpool had conceded three in each of their previous two home league games. It may not be “sloppy”, the word to which Klopp so objected, but there is jeopardy inherent in the way they play.

But that is how football is now played. Operate with a high line as pretty much every elite club now does and the possibility of a ball played in behind is always there. Bayern won the Champions League despite perpetually seeming on the brink of being exposed. A slight deficiency in the press, a moment when the player on the ball isn’t placed under immediate pressure, can mean a simple through-ball. Manchester City were undone on Sunday by the way Leicester’s Nampalys Mendy and Youri Tielemans were able to pass the ball at speed through the press. For all the discussion of handball, the most common reason penalties have been given in the Premier League this season has been forwards having their legs clipped by retreating defenders finding themselves on the wrong side having been undone by a ball played behind the line.

It’s very early days, and there will almost certainly be some regression to the mean, but the Premier League is averaging 3.67 goals per game at the moment. Over the previous decade, the average is 2.75. It may be that the curtailed pre-season has disrupted organization, but it also feels that the dynamic of football has changed, that high-risk football with a high line and a hard press has become the default. Klopp, in a more expansive age, is still happy to gamble in a way that Ferguson ultimately was not, and still believes in his side’s capacity to outscore the opposition.

It may be that Keane’s concerns are borne out, that Liverpool’s openness does end up costing them a vital game, but this is modern football.

(The Guardian)



PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
TT

PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz

Paris Saint-Germain coach Luis ‌Enrique hailed the mental strength of his side in coming from two goals down to win 3-2 away at Monaco in the Champions League on Tuesday, but warned the knockout round tie was far from finished.

The first leg clash between the two Ligue 1 clubs saw Folarin Balogun score twice for the hosts in the opening 18 minutes before Vitinha had his penalty saved to compound matters.

But after Desire Doue came on for injured Ousmane Dembele, the ‌match turned ‌and defending champions PSG went on to ‌secure ⁠a one-goal advantage ⁠for the return leg.

"Normally, when a team starts a match like that, the most likely outcome is a loss,” Reuters quoted Luis Enrique as saying.

“It was catastrophic. It's impossible to start a match like that. The first two times they overcame our pressure and entered our half, they scored. They ⁠made some very good plays.

“After that, it's difficult ‌to have confidence, but we ‌showed our mental strength. Plus, we missed a penalty, so ‌it was a chance to regain confidence. In the ‌last six times we've played here, this is only the second time we've won, which shows how difficult it is.”

The 20-year-old Doue scored twice and provided a third for Achraf Hakimi, just ‌days after he had turned in a poor performance against Stade Rennais last Friday ⁠and was ⁠dropped for the Monaco clash.

“I'm happy for him because this past week, everyone criticized and tore Doue apart, but he was sensational, he showed his character. He helped the team at the best possible time.”

Dembele’s injury would be assessed, the coach added. “He took a knock in the first 15 minutes, then he couldn't run.”

The return leg at the Parc des Princes will be next Wednesday. “Considering how the match started, I'm happy with the result. But the match in Paris will be difficult, it will be a different story,” Luis Enrique warned.


Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TT

Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)

Real Madrid forward Kylian Mbappe said Benfica's Gianluca Prestianni should be banned from the Champions League after the Argentine was accused of directing a racist slur at Vinicius Jr during the Spanish side's 1-0 playoff first-leg win on Tuesday.

Denying the accusation, Prestianni said the Brazilian misheard him.

The incident occurred shortly after Vinicius had curled Real into the lead five minutes into the second half in Lisbon.

Television footage showed the Argentine winger covering his mouth with his shirt before making a comment that Vinicius and nearby teammates interpreted as a racial ‌slur against ‌the 25-year-old, with referee Francois Letexier halting the match for ‌11 ⁠minutes after activating ⁠FIFA's anti-racism protocols.

The footage appeared to show an outraged Mbappe calling Prestianni "a bloody racist" to his face, Reuters reported.

The atmosphere grew hostile after play resumed, with Vinicius and Mbappe loudly booed by the home crowd whenever they touched the ball. Despite the rising tensions, the players were able to close out the game without further interruptions.

"I want to clarify that at no time did I direct racist insults to Vini Jr, ⁠who regrettably misunderstood what he thought he heard," Prestianni wrote ‌on his Instagram account.

"I was never racist with ‌anyone and I regret the threats I received from Real Madrid players."

Mbappe told reporters he ‌heard Prestianni direct the same racist remark at Vinicius several times, an allegation ‌also levelled by Real's French midfielder Aurelien Tchouamen.

Mbappe said he had been prepared to leave the pitch but was persuaded by Vinicius to continue playing.

"We cannot accept that there is a player in Europe's top football competition who behaves like this. This guy (Prestianni) doesn't ‌deserve to play in the Champions League anymore," Mbappe told reporters.

"We have to set an example for all the children ⁠watching us at ⁠home. What happened today is the kind of thing we cannot accept because the world is watching us.

When asked whether Prestianni had apologized, Mbappe laughed.

"Of course not," he said.

Vinicius later posted a statement on social media voicing his frustration.

"Racists are, above all, cowards. They need to cover their mouth with their shirt to show how weak they are. But they have the protection of others who, theoretically, have an obligation to punish them. Nothing that happened today is new in my life or my family's life," Vinicius wrote.

The Brazilian has faced repeated racist abuse in Spain, with 18 legal complaints filed against racist behavior targeting Vinicius since 2022.

Real Madrid and Benfica will meet again for the second leg next Wednesday at the Bernabeu.


Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
TT

Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)

The Kings League-Middle East announced that its second season will kick off in Riyadh on March 27.

The season will feature 10 teams, compared to eight in the inaugural edition, under a format that combines sporting competition with digital engagement and includes the participation of several content creators from across the region.

The Kings League-Middle East is organized in partnership with SURJ Sports Investments, a subsidiary of the Public Investment Fund (PIF), as part of efforts to support the development of innovative sports models that integrate football with digital entertainment.

Seven teams will return for the second season: DR7, ABO FC, FWZ, Red Zone, Turbo, Ultra Chmicha, and 3BS. Three additional teams are set to be announced before the start of the competition.

Matches of the second season will be held at Cool Arena in Riyadh under a single round-robin format, with the top-ranked teams advancing to the knockout stages, culminating in the final match.

The inaugural edition recorded strong attendance and wide digital engagement, with approximately a million viewers following the live broadcasts on television and digital platforms.