The Klopp-Keane Exchange Tells Us Much About How Football Has Changed

Liverpool’s Diogo Jota celebrates after sealing the win over Arsenal with his first goal for the club. Photograph: Jason Cairnduff/Reuters
Liverpool’s Diogo Jota celebrates after sealing the win over Arsenal with his first goal for the club. Photograph: Jason Cairnduff/Reuters
TT

The Klopp-Keane Exchange Tells Us Much About How Football Has Changed

Liverpool’s Diogo Jota celebrates after sealing the win over Arsenal with his first goal for the club. Photograph: Jason Cairnduff/Reuters
Liverpool’s Diogo Jota celebrates after sealing the win over Arsenal with his first goal for the club. Photograph: Jason Cairnduff/Reuters

Football has changed. Most disagreements between managers and pundits are tedious affairs, rooted in complex and broadly impenetrable codes of respect and of concern only to professional ax-grinders. But the slightly spiky exchange between Roy Keane and Jürgen Klopp after Liverpool’s 3-1 victory over Arsenal on Monday was fascinating, less for the soap opera element of a bullish Klopp interrogating an awkwardly smirking Keane, or for Keane’s dry “touchy … imagine if they’d lost” rejoinder, but for what it revealed about how the two men view the game, and what that says about its evolution.

In the Champions League quarter-final in 2000, Keane scored an own goal as Manchester United, having drawn the first leg 0-0, lost 3-2 at home to Real Madrid. At the time the tendency was to celebrate the crispness and efficiency of Madrid’s counterattacking, and Fernando Redondo’s backheel nutmeg of Henning Berg, a moment of genius that fitted a prevailing narrative of sophisticated foreign clubs outwitting the honest toilers of the Premier League.

But that wasn’t really how it was. Ruthless as Madrid had been, they were also lucky. Aitor Karanka should have been sent off in the first half for a handball on the goalline but even without that incident, and the penalty that should have resulted, United had more than enough chances to have won. But that was no longer enough, not after the way United had gone out of the Champions League against Borussia Dortmund in 1997 and Monaco in 1998 to early away goals conceded at Old Trafford.

United might have been able to rely on comebacks in the Premier League. The cavalier approach may even have been enough to win the Champions League the previous season – although they were reliant then, as Keane has said, on Bayern “bottling it”. But it was too risky; too many opportunities were lost. Teams are at their peak for very short periods of time. Age and experience, perhaps, lead inevitably to caution.

Over the following decade, United’s approach changed. The attitude, especially in Europe, effectively shifted from, “If we have 20 chances and they have five, we’ll win most games” to, “If we have five chances and they have none, we can’t lose”. And it worked, bringing another Champions League and two further finals.

It’s not that one approach is right and one wrong, and game management is anyway a sliding scale. But Klopp is prepared to allow a greater element of risk than late-period Alex Ferguson. It’s clearly something to which he has given significant thought. He described sitting deep against Pep Guardiola’s Manchester City, bunkering down and hoping for a counterattack, as being like buying a lottery ticket. Better, as he sees it, to engage high up the pitch, accept the possibility of a heavy defeat (and his Liverpool have lost 5-0 and 4-0 to City) and, at least for a side of Liverpool’s quality, increase the chance of victory.

Klopp’s point on Monday that the directive to linesmen only to raise their flags for clear offsides gives a slightly false impression was apt. A lot of what appeared promising Arenal breaks probably were offside and in previous years would have been stifled before any sense of danger had developed. It’s also true that Alexandre Lacazette’s goal came from a break of exceptional quality, at least until the cross, and then a freakish error from Andy Robertson and a bizarre and fortuitous finish. But still, Lacazette had a one-on-one to equalize.

And it wasn’t like this game wasn’t part of a pattern: Arsenal had twice played through the Liverpool press to win at the Emirates in July and in much the same way had forced a draw in the Community Shield before winning on penalties. And Liverpool had conceded three in each of their previous two home league games. It may not be “sloppy”, the word to which Klopp so objected, but there is jeopardy inherent in the way they play.

But that is how football is now played. Operate with a high line as pretty much every elite club now does and the possibility of a ball played in behind is always there. Bayern won the Champions League despite perpetually seeming on the brink of being exposed. A slight deficiency in the press, a moment when the player on the ball isn’t placed under immediate pressure, can mean a simple through-ball. Manchester City were undone on Sunday by the way Leicester’s Nampalys Mendy and Youri Tielemans were able to pass the ball at speed through the press. For all the discussion of handball, the most common reason penalties have been given in the Premier League this season has been forwards having their legs clipped by retreating defenders finding themselves on the wrong side having been undone by a ball played behind the line.

It’s very early days, and there will almost certainly be some regression to the mean, but the Premier League is averaging 3.67 goals per game at the moment. Over the previous decade, the average is 2.75. It may be that the curtailed pre-season has disrupted organization, but it also feels that the dynamic of football has changed, that high-risk football with a high line and a hard press has become the default. Klopp, in a more expansive age, is still happy to gamble in a way that Ferguson ultimately was not, and still believes in his side’s capacity to outscore the opposition.

It may be that Keane’s concerns are borne out, that Liverpool’s openness does end up costing them a vital game, but this is modern football.

(The Guardian)



Verona Prepares its Ancient Arena for the Olympics Closing Ceremony on Sunday

A view of the Arena ahead of the closing ceremony at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Verona, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Antonio Calanni)
A view of the Arena ahead of the closing ceremony at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Verona, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Antonio Calanni)
TT

Verona Prepares its Ancient Arena for the Olympics Closing Ceremony on Sunday

A view of the Arena ahead of the closing ceremony at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Verona, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Antonio Calanni)
A view of the Arena ahead of the closing ceremony at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Verona, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Antonio Calanni)

A city forever associated with Romeo and Juliet, Verona will host the final act of the Milan Cortina Winter Olympics on Sunday inside the ancient Roman Arena, where some 1,500 athletes will celebrate their feats against a backdrop of Italian music and dance.

Acclaimed ballet dancer Roberto Bolle has been rehearsing for the closing ceremony inside the Arena di Verona this week under a veil of secrecy, along with some 350 volunteers, for a spectacle titled “Beauty in Motion," which frames beauty as something inherently dynamic.

“Beauty cannot be fixed in time. This ancient monument is beautiful if it is alive, if it continues to change,” said the ceremony's producer, Alfredo Accatino. “This is what we want to narrate: An Italy that is changing, and also the beauty of movement, the beauty of sport and the beauty of nature."

Other headlining Italian artists include singer Achille Lauro and DJ Gabry Ponte, whose hits could be heard blasting from the Arena during rehearsals this week.

Inside a tent serving as a dressing room, seamstresses put the finishing touches on costumes inspired by the opera world as volunteers prepped for the stage, The Associated Press reported.

“It’s really special to be inside the Arena,” said Matilde Ricchiuto, a student from a local dance school. "Usually, I am there as a spectator and now I get to be a star, I would say. I feel super special.”

The Arena has been a venue for popular entertainment since it was first built in 1 A.D., predating the larger Roman Colosseum by decades. Accatino said the ancient monument will produce some surprises from within its vast tunnels.

“Under the Arena there is a mysterious world that hides everything that has happened. At a certain point, this world will come out," Accatino said, promising “something very beautiful."

The ceremony will open with athletes parading triumphantly through Piazza Bra into the Arena, which once served as a stage for gladiator fights and hunts for exotic beasts.

The closing ceremony stage was inspired by a drop of water, meant to symbolically unite the Olympic mountain venues with the Po River Valley, where Milan and Verona are located, while serving as a reminder that the Winter Games are being reshaped by climate change.

While the opening ceremony was held in Milan, the other host city, Cortina d’Ampezzo, nestled in the Dolomite mountains, was considered too small and remote to host the closing ceremony. Verona, in the same Veneto region as Cortina, was chosen for its unique venue and relatively central location, said Maria Laura Iascone, the local organizing committee's head of ceremonies.

“Only Italians can use such monuments to do special events, so this is very unique, very rare," Iascone said of the Arena.

She promised a more intimate evening than the opening ceremony in Milan's San Siro soccer stadium, with about 12,000 people attending the closing compared with more than 60,000 for the opening.

Iascone said about 1,500 of the nearly 3,000 athletes participating in the most spread-out Winter Games in Olympic history are expected to drive a little over an hour from Milan and between two and four hours from the six mountain venues.

The ceremony will close with the Olympic flame being extinguished. A light show will substitute fireworks, which are not allowed in Verona to protect animals from being disturbed.

The Verona Arena will also be the venue for the Paralympic opening ceremony on March 6. For the ceremonies, the ancient Arena has been retrofitted with new wheelchair ramps and accessible restrooms along with other safety upgrades. The six Paralympic events will be held in Milan and Cortina until March 15.


Arsenal Blows 2-goal Lead at Wolves to Boost Man City's Premier League Title Chances

Soccer Football - Premier League - Wolverhampton Wanderers v Arsenal - Molineux Stadium, Wolverhampton, Britain - February 18, 2026  Wolverhampton Wanderers' Tom Edozie celebrates scoring their second goal with teammates REUTERS/Chris Radburn
Soccer Football - Premier League - Wolverhampton Wanderers v Arsenal - Molineux Stadium, Wolverhampton, Britain - February 18, 2026 Wolverhampton Wanderers' Tom Edozie celebrates scoring their second goal with teammates REUTERS/Chris Radburn
TT

Arsenal Blows 2-goal Lead at Wolves to Boost Man City's Premier League Title Chances

Soccer Football - Premier League - Wolverhampton Wanderers v Arsenal - Molineux Stadium, Wolverhampton, Britain - February 18, 2026  Wolverhampton Wanderers' Tom Edozie celebrates scoring their second goal with teammates REUTERS/Chris Radburn
Soccer Football - Premier League - Wolverhampton Wanderers v Arsenal - Molineux Stadium, Wolverhampton, Britain - February 18, 2026 Wolverhampton Wanderers' Tom Edozie celebrates scoring their second goal with teammates REUTERS/Chris Radburn

Arsenal blew a two-goal lead at last-place Wolves on Wednesday to give a huge boost to Manchester City in the race for the Premier League title.

The league leader was held to a surprise 2-2 draw at Molineux, having led 2-0 in the second half.

Teenage debutant Tom Edozie scored in the fourth minute of added time to complete Wolves' comeback.

“There was a big difference in how we played in the first half and the second half. We dropped our standards and we got punished for it,” Arsenal forward Bukayo Saka told the BBC.

The draw means Arsenal has dropped points in back-to-back games and leaves it just five ahead of second-place City, having played a game more.

With the top two still to play each other at City's Etihad Stadium, the title race is too close to call.

“(It's) time to focus on ourselves, improve our standards and improve our performances and it is in our control,” Saka said.

Arsenal has led the way for the majority of the season and one bookmaker paid out on Mikel Arteta's team winning the title after it opened up a nine-point lead earlier this month.

But Wednesday's result was the latest sign that it is feeling the pressure, having finished runner-up in each of the last three seasons. It has won just two of its last seven league games.

Having blown a lead against Brentford last week, it was even worse at a Wolves team that has won just one game all season.

Victory looked all but secured after Saka gave Arsenal the lead with a header in the fifth minute and Piero Hincapie ran through to blast in the second in the 56th.

But Wolves' fightback began with Hugo Bueno's curling shot into the top corner in the 61st.

The 19-year-old Edozie was sent on as a substitute in the 84th and his effort earned the home team only its 10th point of a campaign that looks certain to end in relegation.

While it did little for Wolves' chances of survival, it may have had a major impact at the top of the standings.

“Incredibly disappointed that we gave two points away,” Arteta said. "I think we need to fault ourselves and give credit to Wolves. But what we did in the second half was nowhere near our standards that we have to play in order to win a game in the Premier League.

“When you don’t perform you can get punished, and we got punished and we have to accept the hits because that can happen when you are on top."

Arsenal plays Tottenham on Sunday. Its lead could be cut to two points before it kicks off if City wins against Newcastle on Saturday.


Sinner Sees off Popyrin to Reach Doha Quarters

 Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Sinner Sees off Popyrin to Reach Doha Quarters

 Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)

Jannik Sinner powered past Alexei Popyrin in straight sets on Wednesday to reach the last eight of the Qatar Open and edge closer to a possible final meeting with Carlos Alcaraz.

The Italian, playing his first tournament since losing to Novak Djokovic in the Australian Open semi-finals last month, eased to a 6-3, 7-5 second-round win in Doha.

Sinner will play Jakub Mensik in Thursday's quarter-finals.

Australian world number 53 Popyrin battled gamely but failed to create a break-point opportunity against his clinical opponent.

Sinner dropped just three points on serve in an excellent first set which he took courtesy of a break in the sixth game.

Popyrin fought hard in the second but could not force a tie-break as Sinner broke to grab a 6-5 lead before confidently serving it out.

World number one Alcaraz takes on Frenchman Valentin Royer in his second-round match later.