Morocco Reopens more Mosques, Allows Friday Prayer

A teacher wearing face mask while teaching in a school in Casablanca in October 5, 2020. AP
A teacher wearing face mask while teaching in a school in Casablanca in October 5, 2020. AP
TT
20

Morocco Reopens more Mosques, Allows Friday Prayer

A teacher wearing face mask while teaching in a school in Casablanca in October 5, 2020. AP
A teacher wearing face mask while teaching in a school in Casablanca in October 5, 2020. AP

Morocco’s Ministry of Islamic Affairs announced on Tuesday the decision to increase the number of mosques to be reopened to 10,000.

It allowed these mosques to host the five daily prayers, as well as Friday sermons and prayers, effective on Friday.

The ministry stated that it will do all what is necessary to make this process a success and follow up the developments in coordination with the competent authorities.

It stressed that it will take into consideration the same preventive measures taken in mosques that have previously opened for the five daily prayers.

Moroccan community bodies had launched an appeal to open more mosques and hold Friday prayers.

They criticized the “continued closure of most mosques and the suspension of Friday prayers” while official institutions, markets, laboratories, administrations, universities and schools have been reopened.

Only 5,000 mosques out of over 50,000 across Morocco have been opened since July 15.

Initially, the 5,000 mosques were not open for Friday prayers in order to avoid COVID-19 transmission among worshippers.

The decision to re-open 5,000 mosques in July was part of Morocco’s gradual lockdown easing strategy and included a set of safety conditions.

According to these conditions, worshippers shall take with them plastic bags to put their shoes in when they are inside the mosque, wear masks outside and inside the mosque, bring their own prayer mat and respect social distancing guidelines.

The rate of coronavirus infections in Morocco has relatively decreased in the past 24 hours.

The Health Ministry announced on Monday 1,357 new COVID-19 infections, taking the tally since the virus first appeared in the country on March 2 to 153,761.

The number of recoveries increased to 129,498, while the death toll rose by 31 to 2,636, the Ministry added in a statement.

It said 464 patients are in intensive care units.

The COVID-19 fatality rate in Morocco stands at 1.7 percent and the current recovery rate is 84.2 percent, the ministry added.



Netanyahu Says Israel Is Establishing a New Security Corridor across Gaza

An internally displaced Palestinian walks at the site of a UN clinic following an Israeli airstrike, in the Jabalia refugee camp, northern Gaza Strip, 02 April 2025. (EPA)
An internally displaced Palestinian walks at the site of a UN clinic following an Israeli airstrike, in the Jabalia refugee camp, northern Gaza Strip, 02 April 2025. (EPA)
TT
20

Netanyahu Says Israel Is Establishing a New Security Corridor across Gaza

An internally displaced Palestinian walks at the site of a UN clinic following an Israeli airstrike, in the Jabalia refugee camp, northern Gaza Strip, 02 April 2025. (EPA)
An internally displaced Palestinian walks at the site of a UN clinic following an Israeli airstrike, in the Jabalia refugee camp, northern Gaza Strip, 02 April 2025. (EPA)

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu says Israel is establishing a new security corridor across the Gaza Strip.

In a statement on Wednesday, he described it as the Morag corridor, using the name of a Jewish settlement that once stood between Rafah and Khan Younis, suggesting it would run between the two southern cities.

His comments came as Palestinian officials at hospitals inside Gaza said Israeli strikes overnight and into Wednesday had killed more than 40 people, nearly a dozen of them children.

The Israeli government has long maintained a buffer zone just inside Gaza along its security fence and has greatly expanded since the war against Hamas began in 2023. Israel says the buffer zone is needed for its security, while Palestinians view it as a land grab that further shrinks the narrow coastal territory, home to around 2 million people.