Saudi Arabia unveiled on Wednesday its new National Strategy for Data and Artificial Intelligence (NSDAI) which will make the Kingdom a global leader in AI by 2030.
The National Strategy, which will be led by the Saudi Data and AI Authority (SDAIA), was officially launched at the inaugural Global AI Summit in Riyadh. The two-day summit was launched under the auspices of Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Defense.
The “AI for the Good of Humanity” is organized by the SDAIA and G20 Saudi Secretariat as part of the International Conferences Program, honoring the G20 Saudi presidency year 2020.
SDAIA President Dr. Abdullah bin Sharaf Alghamdi thanked Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz and Crown Prince Mohammed, commending their keenness on supporting this pivotal sector.
Alghamdi said the National Strategy encompass six main areas that have been identified as essential to develop Saudi Arabia's national capacity in AI:
- Ambition: Saudi Arabia's plans are focused on turning the country into a global leader in data and AI.
- Skills: The NSDAI seeks to transform the current and future Saudi workforce, through education, and upskilling and reskilling that will enable Saudis to utilize the power of data and AI, in public and private sectors.
- Policy and Regulations: Saudi Arabia will create a world-class regulatory framework that will encourage and foster data-driven businesses.
- Investment: The NSDAI will aim to attract and incentivize local and foreign investors and companies to encourage investment in qualified opportunities within Saudi Arabia.
- Research and Innovation: Under the National Strategy, Saudi Arabia will build and enable core research and innovation institutions in data and AI, to enable the Kingdom to lead in the development and commercialization of new technologies.
- Ecosystem: The National Strategy will aim to stimulate data and AI adoption through the creation of a collaborative and forward-thinking ecosystem.
The Global AI Summit is the world's premier platform for dialogue that brings together over 200 stakeholders from public sector, academia and private sector, including technology companies, investors, entrepreneurs and startups to shape the future of Artificial Intelligence (AI).
The Global AI Summit will be a unique global opportunity to explore what the new global era means to AI, how AI's transformational potential can be best used to create a better future for all, and what this means for policy and decision makers interested in leveraging the potential, for the good of humanity.
Proceedings of the summit will be streamed through its platforms on Twitter, YouTube, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn.