UN Makes Arrangements for Houthi, Yemeni Gov’t Direct Meeting

UN Special Envoy to Yemen meets with Houthi delegation in Muscat, Oman (United Nations)
UN Special Envoy to Yemen meets with Houthi delegation in Muscat, Oman (United Nations)
TT
20

UN Makes Arrangements for Houthi, Yemeni Gov’t Direct Meeting

UN Special Envoy to Yemen meets with Houthi delegation in Muscat, Oman (United Nations)
UN Special Envoy to Yemen meets with Houthi delegation in Muscat, Oman (United Nations)

The UN Special Envoy to Yemen Martin Griffiths is seeking to bring together the two warring Yemeni parties over the next few days, Western sources told Asharq Al-Awsat, adding that the internationally-recognized government and Houthis are seriously discussing a final joint declaration.

The sources, speaking under the conditions of anonymity, said that there was headway registered for UN peacemaking efforts in war-torn Yemen.

Should progress continue to advance, sources predicted that a joint declaration may be published this November.

Last week, UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres called on Yemeni parties to agree on a joint declaration on a nationwide cease-fire, economic and humanitarian measures and the resumption of the political process.

It is worth noting that the last political agreement inked between the Yemeni government and Houthis was in late 2018, when a deal was signed in the Swedish capital, Stockholm.

Griffiths, on Sunday, had met in the Omani capital, Muscat, with the head of the Houthi delegation, Muhammad Abdul Salam.

"The meeting discussed the ongoing negotiations on the draft joint declaration (a UN proposal that includes a comprehensive ceasefire, economic and humanitarian arrangements, and the resumption of the political process) and the prospects for the political process in Yemen," the UN envoy’s office said.

Sources pointed out that the meeting took a positive turn with respect to publishing an approved joint declaration.

Meeting with the Omani Foreign Minister Badr Al-Busaidi, Griffiths discussed ongoing talks and negotiations about a draft joint declaration and chances of rebooting the political process in Yemen.

British Ambassador to Yemen Michael Aron welcomed the progress made by Griffiths’ efforts in Yemen, especially on convincing the Yemeni government and Houthi coupists to convene to draft a joint declaration and reach a comprehensive political settlement for a nationwide ceasefire.

In statements to Asharq Al-Awsat, Aron said that Griffiths’ meeting with the head of the Houthi delegation “made progress on the issue of the joint declaration.”

He pointed out that the UN envoy is also working with the legitimate government on the joint declaration, noting that the UN envoy “wants a direct meeting between the two parties, and progress has been made on the issue.”



US Airstrikes Kill 2 in Yemen as Trump’s Bombing Video Suggests Higher Death Toll

People assess the damage following reported overnight strikes that the Houthis said hit the Water Management building in Mansouriya in Yemen's Hodeidah, on April 2, 2025. (AFP)
People assess the damage following reported overnight strikes that the Houthis said hit the Water Management building in Mansouriya in Yemen's Hodeidah, on April 2, 2025. (AFP)
TT
20

US Airstrikes Kill 2 in Yemen as Trump’s Bombing Video Suggests Higher Death Toll

People assess the damage following reported overnight strikes that the Houthis said hit the Water Management building in Mansouriya in Yemen's Hodeidah, on April 2, 2025. (AFP)
People assess the damage following reported overnight strikes that the Houthis said hit the Water Management building in Mansouriya in Yemen's Hodeidah, on April 2, 2025. (AFP)

Suspected US airstrikes killed at least two people overnight in a stronghold of Yemen's Houthis, the group said Sunday, as a bombing video posted by US President Donald Trump suggested casualties in the campaign may be higher than the militants acknowledge.

The strikes in Saada killed two people and wounded four others, with footage aired by the Houthis' al-Masirah satellite news channel showing a strike collapsing what appeared to be a two-story building. The Iranian-backed Houthis aired no footage from inside the building, which they described as a solar power shop.

The intense campaign of airstrikes in Yemen under Trump targeting the rebels over their attacks on shipping in Mideast waters stemming from the Israel-Hamas war has killed at least 69 people, according to casualty figures released by the Houthis.

However, the Houthis have not acknowledged any casualties from their security and military leadership — something challenged after an online video posted by Trump.

Early Saturday, Trump posted what appeared to be black-and-white video from a drone of a group of several dozen people gathered in a circle. An explosion detonates during the 25-second video, with a massive crater left in its wake.

“These Houthis gathered for instructions on an attack,” Trump claimed, without offering a location for the attack or any other details about the strike. “Oops, there will be no attack by these Houthis! They will never sink our ships again!”

The US military's Central Command, which oversees America's Mideast military operations, has not published the video, nor offered any specific details about the strikes it has conducted since March 15. The White House has said there have been over 200 strikes so far targeting the Houthis.

The Houthi-controlled SABA news agency in Yemen, citing an anonymous source, described the bombing as targeting “a social Eid visit in Hodeidah governorate.” Muslims across the world just celebrated Eid al-Fitr, the festival at the end of the holy Muslim fasting month of Ramadan. SABA had published images of other commanders meeting fighters during the holiday, though not any high-level Houthi officials.

“Those present at that gathering had no connection to the operations carried out by the (Houthis), which are implementing the decision to ban navigation on ships linked to the American and Israeli enemy,” the SABA report said, adding that the attack killed and wounded “dozens.”

However, the Houthis previously have not acknowledged any strike on Hodeidah during that time with such a high casualty count. The SABA report also did not describe those killed as civilians, suggesting those killed had ties to the militants’ security or military forces.

Mohammed al-Basha, a Yemen expert of the Basha Report risk advisory firm, cited social media condolence notices suggesting a colonel overseeing police stations for the Houthis in Hodeidah had been killed in the strike Trump highlighted alongside his two brothers.

“The strikes have expanded significantly, hitting multiple governorates simultaneously, alongside telecommunications infrastructure, command nodes, properties tied to senior Houthi leadership and previously untouched tunnel networks in mountainous areas,” al-Basha told The Associated Press.

“We’ve also seen direct targeting of Houthi force gatherings, indicating a more aggressive and evolving shift in the targeting strategy,” al-Basha said.

An AP review has found the new American operation against the Houthis under Trump appears more extensive than those under former US President Joe Biden, as Washington moves from solely targeting launch sites to firing at ranking personnel and dropping bombs on cities.

The new campaign of airstrikes started after the militants threatened to begin targeting “Israeli” ships again over Israel blocking aid entering the Gaza Strip. The Houthis have loosely defined what constitutes an Israeli ship, meaning many vessels could be targeted.

The Houthis targeted more than 100 merchant vessels with missiles and drones, sinking two of them and killing four sailors from November 2023 until January of this year. They also launched attacks targeting American warships without success.

The campaign shows no signs of stopping as the Trump administration repeatedly has linked its airstrikes on the Houthis to an effort to pressure Iran over its rapidly advancing nuclear program.