Ross Barkley after Aston Villa Move: I Knew I Was Ready to Show How Good I am

Ross Barkley has impressed since joining Aston Villa on loan from Chelsea. (AFP)
Ross Barkley has impressed since joining Aston Villa on loan from Chelsea. (AFP)
TT

Ross Barkley after Aston Villa Move: I Knew I Was Ready to Show How Good I am

Ross Barkley has impressed since joining Aston Villa on loan from Chelsea. (AFP)
Ross Barkley has impressed since joining Aston Villa on loan from Chelsea. (AFP)

A masterplan. That is how Ross Barkley describes the approach that helped Aston Villa to thrash Liverpool 7-2 on his debut for the club three weeks ago. Judging by how things have gone for him and Villa so far, the same word could apply to his decision this month to join Dean Smith’s side on loan from Chelsea for the rest of this season. His two appearances have yielded two wins for Villa and two goals for Barkley. They look made for each other.

“I couldn’t have asked for it to go any better so far,” Barkley says. “The game against Liverpool was the perfect way to get up and running. When it was 5-2, we were all saying: ‘We can go for more goals here, they’re up for the taking.’ It could have been a lot more but 7-2 against the champions is a statement to everyone else in the league that we’re ready to kick on this season.”

Villa avoided relegation only on the final day last season but a new confidence is sweeping through the club and Barkley both feeds off it and fuels it.

He explains that he feels this could be the season where Villa climb and he, at 26, shreds the tag of unfulfilled talent and regains his place not just in the England squad but in the starting XI in time for next summer’s European Championship. He alludes to the frustration of watching England play in major tournaments on TV or, even worse, from the bench, and refers to “the maturity that is now in my game” as he adds: “I have an obsession to improve.”

Barkley knows he will add to his 33 England caps only if he continues to thrive at Villa, which he fully expects to do. First, because Villa are even better than he thought they were before he arrived. That is not just because of other recent recruits such as Emiliano Martínez (“a brilliant goalkeeper, really top-class”) and the striker Ollie Watkins (“I heard even before I arrived that a few of the lads were surprised by just how good he is”) but because players who were rather thrown together after the club’s promotion from the Championship last year have found a groove.

“I’ve been surprised by the quality of the group of players, to be honest, for how low they finished last season. There are some really great players in the squad. Another thing I’ve noticed is that there are a lot of great communicators.”

That also goes for the rest of the staff. “I’ve had a lot of one-on-one meetings with the manager, talking about how we can improve, what we lacked last season and what he learned from last season,” Barkley says. “I’ve been through difficult spells with Everton previously where we were struggling and then something just changed. The manager explained to me that something clicked here towards the end of last season and I’ve seen that.

“There is a lot more understanding of how to win games in this league. We now have players who are established and we look really solid. Everyone is working really hard for each other. In training on Wednesday tackles were going in all over the place and players were getting angry because they wanted to win. That’s great to see. There will be difficult times ahead but we will stick together and this season will be 10 times better than last.”

He expects a similar trend on an individual level, too. As satisfying as the win over Liverpool was, the win at Leicester may have been even more auspicious for Barkley, as he struck the winning goal in stoppage time. Last season he probably would have left the action by then. Although he does not have a bad word to say about Chelsea, it is a fact that of his 21 league appearances last season, only four lasted 90 minutes. Smith has said he hopes to play a settled side as often as possible and that is music to Barkley’s ears.

“The other night I scored in the last minute, previously I would have come off around the 60th,” he says. “The last minutes of the game are when defenders get tired and that’s when the rewards are. By staying as fit as I can this season and playing every minute, I’m sure there will be many more goals to come.

“To put in consistent performances you need consistent game time. For me it was an exciting project to come here and play consistently because I haven’t had that for a couple of years. It was just stop-start constantly. Now I’m finding my rhythm and I feel really good. I’ve played two full 90s and I’m really looking forward to the next game. Now I’ve got a clear mind and every game that comes I know what I need to do.”

He also knows how to do it. He says experience has made him better. “I’m 26. I understand the game a lot easier now. Understanding where the goals are, how to mix things up, when to run in behind, drop deep, shoot from distance, create goals from wide areas or central areas, play the ball out wide and go into the box, anticipate balls at the back post, make runs from both. Just an understanding of where the goals are. Because I’ve got that now, I know that for the rest of my career I’m going to score a lot more goals than I have previously.”

He has heard grumbles about his judgment in the past but does not believe that criticism is still valid. “My decision-making is much better than when I was younger,” he says. “Obviously if you’re trying to create, you’re not always going to be perfect but most times I do pull it off because of the maturity that’s in my game now. During the lockdown I watched a lot of my games. That’s just because I have an obsession to improve and I love football.”

That last point is worth elaborating on. Although Barkley is sometimes labelled an underachiever, he is one of only three members of the England Under‑17s team that won the European Championship in 2010 who play in the Premier League. Conor Coady and Jack Butland are the others, with the rest playing in lower leagues or no longer in the profession. So maybe Barkley deserves credit for what he has done.

“That’s from a young age, never changing how much I love the game. Nothing else comes in the way of that. Football and family, that’s all. Come to training and always work as hard as you can, always trying to improve. If you go through a difficult spell, accept it for what it is and try to learn from it. I’m always trying to improve, even on the mental side of the game. I’ve improved a lot over the years and I’m at the age now where … even in the past couple of years I knew I was ready, if I get regular game time, to show how good I am.”

He yearns to show it at an international tournament. After featuring in all three group games at the 2014 World Cup, he was an unused squad member at Euro 2016 and injuries ruined his hopes of making the 2018 World Cup. “Playing for England should mean everything to every player from England. For this season the focus is to help Villa finish as high as possible and then to make the Euros squad and be playing.

“Watching from the bench is the worst because you believe you can help the team out but you’re not given the chance. But that gives you the hunger to go away and work harder and not let that happen again. I’ve been out of the squad recently because of a lack of game time but hopefully I’ll make the next one and kick on from there. I believe that if I keep putting in performances here, that will take care of itself.”

The Guardian Sport



Liverpool Boss Slot Says Isak in 'Final Stages of Rehab'

Soccer Football -  FA Cup - Fourth Round - Liverpool v Brighton & Hove Albion - Anfield, Liverpool, Britain - February 14, 2026 Liverpool manager Arne Slot celebrates after the match REUTERS/Phil Noble
Soccer Football - FA Cup - Fourth Round - Liverpool v Brighton & Hove Albion - Anfield, Liverpool, Britain - February 14, 2026 Liverpool manager Arne Slot celebrates after the match REUTERS/Phil Noble
TT

Liverpool Boss Slot Says Isak in 'Final Stages of Rehab'

Soccer Football -  FA Cup - Fourth Round - Liverpool v Brighton & Hove Albion - Anfield, Liverpool, Britain - February 14, 2026 Liverpool manager Arne Slot celebrates after the match REUTERS/Phil Noble
Soccer Football - FA Cup - Fourth Round - Liverpool v Brighton & Hove Albion - Anfield, Liverpool, Britain - February 14, 2026 Liverpool manager Arne Slot celebrates after the match REUTERS/Phil Noble

Liverpool manager Arne Slot said on Thursday he believes striker Alexander Isak is in the "final stages of rehab" and could return by the end of next month to bolster the Reds' push for Champions League qualification.

The British record signing has been sidelined since mid-December when he fractured a bone in his lower leg and needed ankle surgery following a sliding tackle from Tottenham's Micky van de Ven.

His injury came just as 26-year-old Sweden international Isak, who joined Premier League champions Liverpool for £125 million ($169 million) from top-flight rivals Newcastle in September, was finding his form at Anfield with two goals in six matches.

"Alex has been on the pitch, not with his football boots but with his running shoes for the first time this week," Slot told reporters, according to AFP.

"The next step is doing work with the ball, which every player likes most, then the next step is to come into the group and then it takes a while before you're ready to play.

"It will be some time around there, end of March, start of April, where he is hopefully back with the group. That is not to say you are ready to play, let alone start a game.

"But it's nice that rehab goes well; that's a compliment to him and our medical staff.

"I think we all know the moment you go on the pitch it doesn't take three months but these final stages of rehab can also make it change."

Isak is one of five Liverpool first-team players currently sidelined, with only Jeremie Frimpong close to a return.

The right-back has been out since the end of last month with a hamstring injury but is expected to be available for next weekend's visit of West Ham.

Liverpool have had a rare week without a match ahead of Sunday's trip to Nottingham Forest.

"It is nice and useful as the players we are having, nine out of 10 go to the national team so for seven, eight, nine months they hardly have a time off," said Dutch boss Slot, who insisted he had no need of a rest himself.

"It was nice but I did not really need it. Last season I felt I needed it more in this period of time. I am enjoying the work I do here."

Liverpool, after a slow start to their title defense -- are now sixth and within three points of the top four with 12 games to go.

They next play three of the bottom four clubs as they look to get themselves into a Champions League position.

Premier League leaders Arsenal were left just five points clear of second-placed Manchester City after blowing a two-goal lead in a shock 2-2 draw away to rock-bottom Wolves on Wednesday.

Slot, however, said: "We didn't need yesterday to know how difficult it is to win a Premier League game. What has made the Premier League nicer this season than three, four, five, six years ago is it's more competitive."


Familiar Face Returns to Marseille where Habib Beye Takes Charge

(FILES) Rennes' French-Senegalese head coach Habib Beye looks on before the French L1 football match between Le Havre AC (HAC) and Rennes at the Oceane Stadium in Le Havre, Northwestern France, on April 13, 2025. (Photo by Lou BENOIST / AFP)
(FILES) Rennes' French-Senegalese head coach Habib Beye looks on before the French L1 football match between Le Havre AC (HAC) and Rennes at the Oceane Stadium in Le Havre, Northwestern France, on April 13, 2025. (Photo by Lou BENOIST / AFP)
TT

Familiar Face Returns to Marseille where Habib Beye Takes Charge

(FILES) Rennes' French-Senegalese head coach Habib Beye looks on before the French L1 football match between Le Havre AC (HAC) and Rennes at the Oceane Stadium in Le Havre, Northwestern France, on April 13, 2025. (Photo by Lou BENOIST / AFP)
(FILES) Rennes' French-Senegalese head coach Habib Beye looks on before the French L1 football match between Le Havre AC (HAC) and Rennes at the Oceane Stadium in Le Havre, Northwestern France, on April 13, 2025. (Photo by Lou BENOIST / AFP)

Marseille is looking to reignite its season with a new coach on board.

The nine-time French champion appointed Habib Beye to replace Roberto De Zerbi following a bad patch of form that saw the club exit the Champions League and drop 12 points behind Ligue 1 leader Lens.

Beye, a former Senegal international who played for Marseille, will be in charge of Friday's trip to Brest.

After leading Red Star to promotion to Ligue 2, Beye spent the last year and a half as the Rennes coach. The club sacked Beye this month.

Key matchups Marseille has failed to win its past three league games, badly damaging its title hopes. The results including a 5-0 mauling at PSG have left fans fuming. The club hopes Beye, a disciplinarian advocating ball possession and a strong attacking identity, will produce a jolt.

Beye's hiring "refocuses us on the challenges we still need to tackle between now and the end of the season,” The Associated Press quoted Marseille owner Frank McCourt as saying.

Since McCourt bought Marseille in 2016, the former powerhouse has failed to find any form of stability in a succession of coaches and crises. It hasn’t won the league title since 2010.

PSG abandoned the top spot to Lens after losing to Rennes 3-1 last week. Luis Enrique's team bounced back with a 3-2 win at Monaco in the first leg of their Champions League playoff and hosts last-placed Metz on Saturday. Lens welcomes Monaco the same day.

Third-placed Lyon, on a stunning 13-match winning run, plays at Strasbourg on Sunday.
Players to watch With the World Cup in his country looming, former Arsenal striker Folarin Balogun is hitting form at the right time. The American forward scored twice inside 18 minutes against PSG and has 10 goals and four assists this season.

At PSG, the man in form is Désiré Doué.

After his team quickly fell behind by two goals against Monaco midweek, Doué came to the rescue to turn things around. The France international was relentless and left his mark on the match after coming on as a replacement for Ousmane Dembélé. He first reduced the deficit, played a role in Achraf Hakimi’s equalizer then netted the winner.
Out of action Dembélé is expected to miss PSG's match against Metz because of an injured left calf.

Off the field PSG was sanctioned with the partial closure of the Auteuil stand for two matches and a 10,000 euros ($11,800) fine by the disciplinary committee of the French league following banners displayed and insults directed by supporters during the match against Marseille on Feb. 8. at the Parc des Princes. There were brief discriminatory chants about Marseille at the start of the game and the referee stopped play for about one minute around the 70th.


Verona Prepares its Ancient Arena for the Olympics Closing Ceremony on Sunday

A view of the Arena ahead of the closing ceremony at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Verona, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Antonio Calanni)
A view of the Arena ahead of the closing ceremony at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Verona, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Antonio Calanni)
TT

Verona Prepares its Ancient Arena for the Olympics Closing Ceremony on Sunday

A view of the Arena ahead of the closing ceremony at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Verona, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Antonio Calanni)
A view of the Arena ahead of the closing ceremony at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Verona, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Antonio Calanni)

A city forever associated with Romeo and Juliet, Verona will host the final act of the Milan Cortina Winter Olympics on Sunday inside the ancient Roman Arena, where some 1,500 athletes will celebrate their feats against a backdrop of Italian music and dance.

Acclaimed ballet dancer Roberto Bolle has been rehearsing for the closing ceremony inside the Arena di Verona this week under a veil of secrecy, along with some 350 volunteers, for a spectacle titled “Beauty in Motion," which frames beauty as something inherently dynamic.

“Beauty cannot be fixed in time. This ancient monument is beautiful if it is alive, if it continues to change,” said the ceremony's producer, Alfredo Accatino. “This is what we want to narrate: An Italy that is changing, and also the beauty of movement, the beauty of sport and the beauty of nature."

Other headlining Italian artists include singer Achille Lauro and DJ Gabry Ponte, whose hits could be heard blasting from the Arena during rehearsals this week.

Inside a tent serving as a dressing room, seamstresses put the finishing touches on costumes inspired by the opera world as volunteers prepped for the stage, The Associated Press reported.

“It’s really special to be inside the Arena,” said Matilde Ricchiuto, a student from a local dance school. "Usually, I am there as a spectator and now I get to be a star, I would say. I feel super special.”

The Arena has been a venue for popular entertainment since it was first built in 1 A.D., predating the larger Roman Colosseum by decades. Accatino said the ancient monument will produce some surprises from within its vast tunnels.

“Under the Arena there is a mysterious world that hides everything that has happened. At a certain point, this world will come out," Accatino said, promising “something very beautiful."

The ceremony will open with athletes parading triumphantly through Piazza Bra into the Arena, which once served as a stage for gladiator fights and hunts for exotic beasts.

The closing ceremony stage was inspired by a drop of water, meant to symbolically unite the Olympic mountain venues with the Po River Valley, where Milan and Verona are located, while serving as a reminder that the Winter Games are being reshaped by climate change.

While the opening ceremony was held in Milan, the other host city, Cortina d’Ampezzo, nestled in the Dolomite mountains, was considered too small and remote to host the closing ceremony. Verona, in the same Veneto region as Cortina, was chosen for its unique venue and relatively central location, said Maria Laura Iascone, the local organizing committee's head of ceremonies.

“Only Italians can use such monuments to do special events, so this is very unique, very rare," Iascone said of the Arena.

She promised a more intimate evening than the opening ceremony in Milan's San Siro soccer stadium, with about 12,000 people attending the closing compared with more than 60,000 for the opening.

Iascone said about 1,500 of the nearly 3,000 athletes participating in the most spread-out Winter Games in Olympic history are expected to drive a little over an hour from Milan and between two and four hours from the six mountain venues.

The ceremony will close with the Olympic flame being extinguished. A light show will substitute fireworks, which are not allowed in Verona to protect animals from being disturbed.

The Verona Arena will also be the venue for the Paralympic opening ceremony on March 6. For the ceremonies, the ancient Arena has been retrofitted with new wheelchair ramps and accessible restrooms along with other safety upgrades. The six Paralympic events will be held in Milan and Cortina until March 15.