'That's Crazy': Kylie Tops Chart in Five Decades as 'Disco' Hits No.1

Australian singer Kylie Minogue. (Getty Images)
Australian singer Kylie Minogue. (Getty Images)
TT
20

'That's Crazy': Kylie Tops Chart in Five Decades as 'Disco' Hits No.1

Australian singer Kylie Minogue. (Getty Images)
Australian singer Kylie Minogue. (Getty Images)

Australian singer Kylie Minogue made what she called a “crazy” slice of pop music history on Friday, becoming the first female artist to have number one albums in Britain across five decades as “Disco” topped the charts.

Mostly recorded at home during lockdown, her 15th studio album also notched up the best opening week for any release so far in 2020 with 55,000 chart sales, the Official Charts Company said.

“That sounds crazy to me. I’m 52 years old,” Minogue told Reuters of the five-decade record - an accolade she now shares with Bruce Springsteen - before it was announced.

“Disco”, in which she revisits her dance music roots, also marks Minogue’s eighth UK number one album, taking her one ahead of Cliff Richard, Elton John and George Michael with seven apiece.

Speaking about the power of pop, Minogue said it can be a marker for people’s lives.

“A lot of the best pop songs that seem so simple are the trickiest ones to do. There’s no distraction. There’s no tricks. It’s just an amazing song,” she said.

After making her name in hit soap opera “Neighbors”, Minogue burst onto the music scene in the late 1980s working with producers Stock, Aitken and Waterman.

Mike Stock recalled their first meeting in 1987. As soon as she got behind the microphone “she was a star”, he said.

Together they made four albums, with the first two - “Kylie” (1988) and “Enjoy Yourself” (1989) - also reaching number one.

“The first album we did was one of the best-selling albums of the whole decade,” Stock told Reuters.

“... I’m obviously very proud of that. Proud to have worked with Kylie who had lasted in the business - just to survive is an achievement. But she’s doing brilliant.”



New Spielberg, Nolan Films Teased at CinemaCon

US actress Scarlett Johansson presents the film 'Jurassic World Rebirth' onstage during CinemaCon. VALERIE MACON / AFP
US actress Scarlett Johansson presents the film 'Jurassic World Rebirth' onstage during CinemaCon. VALERIE MACON / AFP
TT
20

New Spielberg, Nolan Films Teased at CinemaCon

US actress Scarlett Johansson presents the film 'Jurassic World Rebirth' onstage during CinemaCon. VALERIE MACON / AFP
US actress Scarlett Johansson presents the film 'Jurassic World Rebirth' onstage during CinemaCon. VALERIE MACON / AFP

Hollywood studio Universal Pictures on Wednesday teased new movies from Steven Spielberg and Christopher Nolan, while showcasing footage from its upcoming sequels "Jurassic World Rebirth" and "Wicked: For Good" at the CinemaCon event.

Spielberg "is currently shooting a film that promises to be a return to form, in the spirit of his monumental classics," said Universal executive Jim Orr, at the movie theater industry summit in Las Vegas.

The untitled film, out June 2026, is widely rumored to be a blockbuster sci-fi. Orr promised it would contain "a propulsive, modern, out-of-this-world twist," without sharing further details.

Meanwhile, Nolan is in the Mediterranean shooting his star-studded version of "The Odyssey," based on the millennia-old Ancient Greek epic saga written by Homer.

It is due July 2026, starring Matt Damon as Odysseus, alongside Tom Holland, Zendaya and Anne Hathaway, AFP said.

In a prediction bold even by the standards of Hollywood marketing, Orr suggested the film "will be a once-in-a-generation cinematic masterpiece that Homer himself would, quite frankly, be very proud of."

The comments came at CinemaCon, an annual week-long summit at which Hollywood studios present their biggest upcoming movies to theater owners and press.

A theme of this year's event has been a drive to get studios to commit to keeping new movies in US theaters for at least 45 days before they appear on streaming.

A source with knowledge of the talks told AFP Wednesday that three of Hollywood's six biggest studios have committed.

Universal, which has in recent years brought many of its films to on-demand streaming very soon after they debut in theaters, has not yet agreed to the new 45-day "window," the source said. The studio did not immediately comment.

But its efforts to court movie theater owners Wednesday included showing extended new footage and A-list stars from the next Jurassic movie -- out this July.

It comes from the writer of the original 1993 "Jurassic Park." The action returns to that film's island setting.

Unlike the "Jurassic World" films where dinosaurs freely roamed the globe, the fearsome reptiles are now once again scarce, surviving in a few remote spots.

Star Scarlett Johansson said the film would "put the scares back into Jurassic" by keeping the dinosaurs hidden and ratcheting up the suspense.

Universal's presentation ended with surprise appearances from Ariana Grande and Cynthia Erivo, whose second and final "Wicked" film will hit theaters November.

CinemaCon concludes Thursday with presentations from Paramount and Disney.