Report: Mossad Planted Agent Near Fakhrizadeh 27 Years Ago

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu points at Fakhrizadeh's role in Iran's arms program during presentation in April 2018. AFP
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu points at Fakhrizadeh's role in Iran's arms program during presentation in April 2018. AFP
TT

Report: Mossad Planted Agent Near Fakhrizadeh 27 Years Ago

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu points at Fakhrizadeh's role in Iran's arms program during presentation in April 2018. AFP
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu points at Fakhrizadeh's role in Iran's arms program during presentation in April 2018. AFP

Security sources in Tel Aviv revealed Friday that 27 years ago, the Mossad managed to plant one of its agents near Iranian nuclear scientist Mohsen Fakhrizadeh and was able to record his voice while talking about the military nuclear project.

The source said the agent was able to get near Fakhrizadeh, who was assassinated in Tehran last Friday, in 1993.

According to a report by expert on security affairs Ronen Bergman published in Yedioth Ahronoth on Friday, plans to launch attacks against nuclear facilities in Iran had been developed during the term of former Prime Minister Ehud Olmert in 2008, when Ehud Barak was Minister of Security.

Bergman said that at the time that Mossad obtained a recording with the voice of Fakhrizadeh, in which he talks about a secret military nuclear program. Bergman wrote that Olmert and Barak briefed former US President George W. Bush on Israeli plans to attack Iran in April 2008, when he visited Israel to participate in the celebrations of the sixtieth anniversary of its founding.

Bush had received a report on these plans from the US intelligence, and had discussed them with his national security adviser Steve Hadley.

According to the report, during a festive dinner, Bush, Olmert, Hadley and Barak entered a side room, and Barak asked to provide his army with vertical landing combat aircraft, as well as smart bombs.
“Bush pointed his finger at me, and said, 'This guy is frightening me,” Bergman quoted Barak as saying.

The US President then said: “I want you to know our official position. The United States strongly opposes the possibility that Israel will take action against the infrastructure of the Iranian nuclear program.”

Olmert tried to persuade further the US President by making him listen to a recording of Fakhrizadeh’s voice speaking of Iran's secret military nuclear program.

Bergman adds that Olmert, who realized that Bush would not provide Israel with the weapons it requested, decided to make another request, which is full intelligence cooperation between Israel and the United States.

“Bush agreed,” Bergman wrote, also quoting officials in the Israeli intelligence services as saying, "This is a structural moment: The United States and Israel have never cooperated on any intelligence issue, just as they did on the Iranian nuclear issue."

Mossad prepared a report on Fakhrizadeh in 1993. At the time, an officer in the Mossad, known as "Calan", managed to recruit an agent, who transferred to Israel information on the Iranian scientist. Bergman revealed that Calan is practically the current head of the Mossad, Yossi Cohen.

The Mossad had compiled a list of Iranian nuclear scientists, headed by Fakhrizadeh, and Olmert had approved his assassination.

However, Bergman wrote that Israel asked for the assassination to be postponed because the Iranians discovered that the Israelis were about to carry it out.

He said the issue of Fakhrizadeh’s assassination was raised again only in 2015, when the Mossad warned that the administration of US President Barack Obama was conducting negotiations with Iran on a nuclear deal.



Turkish Police Detain Deutsche Welle Journalist over Social Media Posts

19 February 2026, Canada: Deutsche Welle (DW) logo is seen displayed on a smartphone screen. Photo: Thomas Fuller/SOPA Images via ZUMA Press Wire/dpa
19 February 2026, Canada: Deutsche Welle (DW) logo is seen displayed on a smartphone screen. Photo: Thomas Fuller/SOPA Images via ZUMA Press Wire/dpa
TT

Turkish Police Detain Deutsche Welle Journalist over Social Media Posts

19 February 2026, Canada: Deutsche Welle (DW) logo is seen displayed on a smartphone screen. Photo: Thomas Fuller/SOPA Images via ZUMA Press Wire/dpa
19 February 2026, Canada: Deutsche Welle (DW) logo is seen displayed on a smartphone screen. Photo: Thomas Fuller/SOPA Images via ZUMA Press Wire/dpa

Turkish police have detained investigative journalist Alican Uludag on suspicion of insulting President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and spreading misinformation, sparking outrage among journalism groups.
Uludag, who works for German broadcaster Deutsche Welle’s Turkish service, was taken from his home in Ankara late Thursday as part of an investigation into social media posts. The Istanbul Chief Prosecutor’s Office said he is suspected of “insulting the president” and “disseminating misleading information.”
The journalist, whose reporting focuses mainly on the judiciary and on corruption cases, was later transferred to Istanbul for questioning.
His detention drew sharp condemnation from press freedom advocates, who described it as an attack on media independence and democratic norms, The Associated Press said.
Deutsche Welle’s director‑general, Barbara Massing, demanded his release, calling the arrest “a deliberate act of intimidation.”
On Friday, journalists gathered outside Istanbul’s Çaglayan Courthouse to protest Uludag’s detention and to call for his immediate release.
The advocacy group, Reporters Without Borders considers Türkiye to be one of the most repressive countries for journalists, nothing that most media organizations are under government control and journalists face frequent legal pressure or intimidation.
At least 14 journalists or media sector workers are currently in prison, according to the Turkish Journalists Syndicate.


South Korea’s Ex-President Yoon Apologizes After Life Sentence Over Martial Law 

South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol  delivers a speech to declare martial law in Seoul, South Korea, December 3, 2024. (The Presidential Office/Handout via Reuters/File Photo)
South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol delivers a speech to declare martial law in Seoul, South Korea, December 3, 2024. (The Presidential Office/Handout via Reuters/File Photo)
TT

South Korea’s Ex-President Yoon Apologizes After Life Sentence Over Martial Law 

South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol  delivers a speech to declare martial law in Seoul, South Korea, December 3, 2024. (The Presidential Office/Handout via Reuters/File Photo)
South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol delivers a speech to declare martial law in Seoul, South Korea, December 3, 2024. (The Presidential Office/Handout via Reuters/File Photo)

Former ‌South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol apologized on Friday for his short-lived declaration of martial law in December 2024, a day after a Seoul court sentenced him to life in prison for masterminding an insurrection.

In a statement released by his lawyers, Yoon said that while he was sorry for the "frustration and hardship" brought upon the people by his martial law decree, he stood behind the "sincerity and purpose" behind his actions.

The Seoul Central District Court's decision ‌to hand him ‌a life sentence on Thursday was "predetermined," he ‌said, ⁠adding that the verdict ⁠against him was political retaliation.

"Forces that seek to smear a decision made to save the nation as an 'insurrection' and to use it beyond political attacks as an opportunity to purge and eliminate their opponents will only grow more rampant going forward," he said.

Yoon also questioned ⁠whether an appeal would have meaning ‌in what he described as an ‌environment where judicial independence could not be guaranteed, while telling ‌supporters to "unite and rise."

His lawyers separately said the statement ‌did not amount to an intention to forgo an appeal.

Yoon's martial law declaration lasted around six hours before being voted down by parliament, but it sent shockwaves through the country and ‌sparked street protests.

The court found Yoon guilty of subverting constitutional order by deploying troops ⁠to storm ⁠parliament and move to detain opponents, capping a dramatic fall that saw him stripped of office and end up behind bars.

Yoon, a former career prosecutor, denied the charges, arguing he had presidential authority to declare martial law and his action was aimed at sounding the alarm over opposition parties' obstruction of government.

A special prosecutor had sought the death penalty for Yoon, though South Korea has not carried out an execution since 1997.

A prosecutor said on Thursday the team had some "regret" over the sentencing, but declined to say whether they planned to appeal.


Russia Hits Ukraine's Oil, Gas Infrastructure in Poltava Region, Naftogaz Says

FILE PHOTO: A Ukrainian service member of the 14th Unmanned Aerial Systems Regiment prepares a deep strike unmanned aerial vehicle before its launch toward Russian territory, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in an undisclosed location in Ukraine, undisclosed date, 2025. REUTERS/Valentyn Ogirenko/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: A Ukrainian service member of the 14th Unmanned Aerial Systems Regiment prepares a deep strike unmanned aerial vehicle before its launch toward Russian territory, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in an undisclosed location in Ukraine, undisclosed date, 2025. REUTERS/Valentyn Ogirenko/File Photo
TT

Russia Hits Ukraine's Oil, Gas Infrastructure in Poltava Region, Naftogaz Says

FILE PHOTO: A Ukrainian service member of the 14th Unmanned Aerial Systems Regiment prepares a deep strike unmanned aerial vehicle before its launch toward Russian territory, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in an undisclosed location in Ukraine, undisclosed date, 2025. REUTERS/Valentyn Ogirenko/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: A Ukrainian service member of the 14th Unmanned Aerial Systems Regiment prepares a deep strike unmanned aerial vehicle before its launch toward Russian territory, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in an undisclosed location in Ukraine, undisclosed date, 2025. REUTERS/Valentyn Ogirenko/File Photo

Russian drones hit Ukraine's oil and gas infrastructure in the central Poltava region, causing ‌damage ‌and a ‌fire, ⁠the state energy company ⁠Naftogaz said on Friday.

"This is yet another targeted ⁠attack on ‌our ‌oil and ‌gas infrastructure. ‌Since the beginning of the year, the ‌enemy has attacked Naftogaz Group facilities ⁠more ⁠than 20 times," Sergii Koretskyi, Naftogaz CEO said in a post on Facebook.