Edin Terzić Suddenly in Spotlight as Dortmund Coach

Edin Terzić. (Getty Images)
Edin Terzić. (Getty Images)
TT

Edin Terzić Suddenly in Spotlight as Dortmund Coach

Edin Terzić. (Getty Images)
Edin Terzić. (Getty Images)

Bayern Munich laid the template last season, and Borussia Dortmund wants to follow it this season.

When Bayern fired Niko Kovač last year after 10 league matches, his replacement was an assistant coach that led the team to a Champions League, Bundesliga and German Cup treble.

Dortmund fired Lucien Favre on Sunday after a 5-1 loss to Stuttgart in the 11th round the day before. His replacement, assistant coach Edin Terzić, will get his first chance to put the team on the right track on Tuesday against Werder Bremen.

“It’s an unbelievable situation. I was produced by this club,” Terzić said Monday, recalling his first visit to the team's stadium when he was 9 years old. “It was clear then for whom my heart was beating. I never dared dreaming of becoming head coach.”

Terzić has a good reputation from his work as Favre’s assistant since 2018. The 38-year-old Terzić was a Dortmund youth coach and scout from 2010-13, reporting to then-coach Jürgen Klopp, and he later worked as an assistant to Slaven Bilić during the Croat's stints as coach of Turkish team Beşiktaş and Premier League club West Ham.

“We’ve gotten to know him as a proven expert who has a great feeling for working with the guys and who also brings the emotion that Borussia Dortmund always needs on the day,” Dortmund sporting director Michael Zorc said.

Dortmund has gone three matches without a victory and is already six points behind surprise league leader Bayer Leverkusen.

Under Favre, Dortmund routinely fell short when challenging Bayern in the Bundesliga. The team squandered a nine-point lead in 2018-19, then finished runner-up again last season — 13 points behind Bayern after another poor finish.

Dortmund could only win the less-important German Super Cup — traditionally a ceremonial curtain raiser for the season — under Favre in 2019.

Terzić brings a very different coaching style.

“To sum it up quickly, I’m always in favor of scoring one more goal than the opposition,” he joked.

Favre sometimes faced criticism for not responding quickly when changes were needed during a game. His quiet manner also gave the impression he was somehow aloof to what was happening on the field.

Terzić is more directly involved. He favors an aggressive game from his team, pressuring opponents into losing possession, closing down space and combining quickly to open opposing defenses.

“You have to fill a certain role as a coach and emotion is part of that,” Terzić said. “I spoke with the team yesterday. It was important that they already identified issues that need to be worked on.”

Dortmund has a plethora of attacking talent like Marco Reus, Erling Haaland, Thorgan Hazard, Jadon Sancho, Julian Brandt, Gio Reyna and Youssoufa Moukoko, who only became eligible to join the team in November when he turned 16.

Only Reyna impressed against Stuttgart, however. Haaland is injured and out until at least January, and the others appear to be struggling with confidence.

“The loss on Saturday was painful. But now we have to move on, and quickly,” Terzić said. “We also saw a lot of positive things lately. We have to have the belief to bring them back and show them again.”

Terzić won’t have much time to settle into his new role. After Tuesday’s trip to Bremen, Dortmund visits Union Berlin — which held Bayern to a 1-1 draw on Saturday — before a trip to face Eintracht Braunschweig in the German Cup on Dec. 22.

Terzić will also be judged on his success in the Champions League, where Dortmund was drawn to face Sevilla in the last 16. Those games are scheduled for Feb. 17 and March 3.

“We’re happy with the task but there are still a lot of other issues to keep us busy before then,” Terzić said of the draw.

Borussia Mönchengladbach coach Marco Rose is reportedly a candidate to take over next season.

“The contract with Edin lasts until summer 2021 for now,” Zorc said. “That’s a long way, at least 26 competitive games. The main focus is on the here and now, to get the team back on the right path.”



PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
TT

PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz

Paris Saint-Germain coach Luis ‌Enrique hailed the mental strength of his side in coming from two goals down to win 3-2 away at Monaco in the Champions League on Tuesday, but warned the knockout round tie was far from finished.

The first leg clash between the two Ligue 1 clubs saw Folarin Balogun score twice for the hosts in the opening 18 minutes before Vitinha had his penalty saved to compound matters.

But after Desire Doue came on for injured Ousmane Dembele, the ‌match turned ‌and defending champions PSG went on to ‌secure ⁠a one-goal advantage ⁠for the return leg.

"Normally, when a team starts a match like that, the most likely outcome is a loss,” Reuters quoted Luis Enrique as saying.

“It was catastrophic. It's impossible to start a match like that. The first two times they overcame our pressure and entered our half, they scored. They ⁠made some very good plays.

“After that, it's difficult ‌to have confidence, but we ‌showed our mental strength. Plus, we missed a penalty, so ‌it was a chance to regain confidence. In the ‌last six times we've played here, this is only the second time we've won, which shows how difficult it is.”

The 20-year-old Doue scored twice and provided a third for Achraf Hakimi, just ‌days after he had turned in a poor performance against Stade Rennais last Friday ⁠and was ⁠dropped for the Monaco clash.

“I'm happy for him because this past week, everyone criticized and tore Doue apart, but he was sensational, he showed his character. He helped the team at the best possible time.”

Dembele’s injury would be assessed, the coach added. “He took a knock in the first 15 minutes, then he couldn't run.”

The return leg at the Parc des Princes will be next Wednesday. “Considering how the match started, I'm happy with the result. But the match in Paris will be difficult, it will be a different story,” Luis Enrique warned.


Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TT

Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)

Real Madrid forward Kylian Mbappe said Benfica's Gianluca Prestianni should be banned from the Champions League after the Argentine was accused of directing a racist slur at Vinicius Jr during the Spanish side's 1-0 playoff first-leg win on Tuesday.

Denying the accusation, Prestianni said the Brazilian misheard him.

The incident occurred shortly after Vinicius had curled Real into the lead five minutes into the second half in Lisbon.

Television footage showed the Argentine winger covering his mouth with his shirt before making a comment that Vinicius and nearby teammates interpreted as a racial ‌slur against ‌the 25-year-old, with referee Francois Letexier halting the match for ‌11 ⁠minutes after activating ⁠FIFA's anti-racism protocols.

The footage appeared to show an outraged Mbappe calling Prestianni "a bloody racist" to his face, Reuters reported.

The atmosphere grew hostile after play resumed, with Vinicius and Mbappe loudly booed by the home crowd whenever they touched the ball. Despite the rising tensions, the players were able to close out the game without further interruptions.

"I want to clarify that at no time did I direct racist insults to Vini Jr, ⁠who regrettably misunderstood what he thought he heard," Prestianni wrote ‌on his Instagram account.

"I was never racist with ‌anyone and I regret the threats I received from Real Madrid players."

Mbappe told reporters he ‌heard Prestianni direct the same racist remark at Vinicius several times, an allegation ‌also levelled by Real's French midfielder Aurelien Tchouamen.

Mbappe said he had been prepared to leave the pitch but was persuaded by Vinicius to continue playing.

"We cannot accept that there is a player in Europe's top football competition who behaves like this. This guy (Prestianni) doesn't ‌deserve to play in the Champions League anymore," Mbappe told reporters.

"We have to set an example for all the children ⁠watching us at ⁠home. What happened today is the kind of thing we cannot accept because the world is watching us.

When asked whether Prestianni had apologized, Mbappe laughed.

"Of course not," he said.

Vinicius later posted a statement on social media voicing his frustration.

"Racists are, above all, cowards. They need to cover their mouth with their shirt to show how weak they are. But they have the protection of others who, theoretically, have an obligation to punish them. Nothing that happened today is new in my life or my family's life," Vinicius wrote.

The Brazilian has faced repeated racist abuse in Spain, with 18 legal complaints filed against racist behavior targeting Vinicius since 2022.

Real Madrid and Benfica will meet again for the second leg next Wednesday at the Bernabeu.


Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
TT

Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)

The Kings League-Middle East announced that its second season will kick off in Riyadh on March 27.

The season will feature 10 teams, compared to eight in the inaugural edition, under a format that combines sporting competition with digital engagement and includes the participation of several content creators from across the region.

The Kings League-Middle East is organized in partnership with SURJ Sports Investments, a subsidiary of the Public Investment Fund (PIF), as part of efforts to support the development of innovative sports models that integrate football with digital entertainment.

Seven teams will return for the second season: DR7, ABO FC, FWZ, Red Zone, Turbo, Ultra Chmicha, and 3BS. Three additional teams are set to be announced before the start of the competition.

Matches of the second season will be held at Cool Arena in Riyadh under a single round-robin format, with the top-ranked teams advancing to the knockout stages, culminating in the final match.

The inaugural edition recorded strong attendance and wide digital engagement, with approximately a million viewers following the live broadcasts on television and digital platforms.