Grieving Alone: Some Turks Want Lockdown to Halt New Virus Wave

People carry an empty coffin of their relative, a victim of coronavirus disease (COVID-19), after his funeral ended at Kilyos cemetery in Istanbul, Turkey, December 10, 2020. Picture taken December 10, 2020. REUTERS/Umit Bektas
People carry an empty coffin of their relative, a victim of coronavirus disease (COVID-19), after his funeral ended at Kilyos cemetery in Istanbul, Turkey, December 10, 2020. Picture taken December 10, 2020. REUTERS/Umit Bektas
TT

Grieving Alone: Some Turks Want Lockdown to Halt New Virus Wave

People carry an empty coffin of their relative, a victim of coronavirus disease (COVID-19), after his funeral ended at Kilyos cemetery in Istanbul, Turkey, December 10, 2020. Picture taken December 10, 2020. REUTERS/Umit Bektas
People carry an empty coffin of their relative, a victim of coronavirus disease (COVID-19), after his funeral ended at Kilyos cemetery in Istanbul, Turkey, December 10, 2020. Picture taken December 10, 2020. REUTERS/Umit Bektas

Siyar Guldiken, still short of breath from his own battle with the coronavirus, was not able to grieve after his grandmother and uncle died of the related disease, as one of the world’s worst second waves of the pandemic slammed Turkey.

After 10 days in isolation in Diyarbakir last month, Guldiken said only a full lockdown could stop the pandemic from worsening in Turkey, which has registered the seventh most cases globally.

Ankara has resisted such calls so far.

But pressure for more stringent action is growing from medical bodies, opposition parties and Istanbul’s mayor, after daily cases jumped to more than 30,000 and deaths to 200, even as the country prepares for a vaccine to arrive shortly.

President Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s government has issued weekend stay-at-home orders to tackle the pandemic, and it plans a five-day lockdown over New Year.

“The measures are really inadequate,” said Guldiken, 42, local head of a health and social services union in southeast Turkey’s largest city. “I can comfortably say for Diyarbakir, numbers will rise,” he added, as he looked at photos of his late grandmother and uncle.

He said full lockdowns would have prevented deaths such as that of his uncle, who died five days before his test results came back positive. His mother recovered from the disease after two weeks in hospital, but his youngest uncle lost both his parents to it.

“We couldn’t live and share our grief as much as we wanted to,” he told Reuters.

“This stemmed from the insufficiency of the measures.”

The government has defended the measures it has taken, saying they have started to slow the spread of infection, with daily cases falling several thousand from their peak to below 30,000. But it has also said economic activity must be sustained.

At the other end of Turkey, in Istanbul, the head of the city’s cemeteries department, Ayhan Koc, said its planning had to be adjusted as the death rate leaped to more than 400 a day in November - around double the level in previous years.

It is a statistic cited by Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu in demanding drastic measures to protect the city of 16 million people, alongside steps to support workers concerned about the economic impact of a lockdown.

“Let’s shut down for 2-3 weeks,” he urged the central government at a memorial ceremony last week for a doctor who died of COVID-19. “I beg them, please take measures. Let’s fight with all we have.”

Hospitals are struggling to meet demand for treatment and thousands of municipal employees are infected, Imamoglu said.

Turkey only began reporting all cases, including asymptomatic ones, in late November. It waited until last week to give the pandemic’s full tally of nearly 1.9 million, on a par with Britain and Italy.

Erdogan said late on Monday that distribution of China’s Sinovac vaccine would begin soon, while there were hopes to roll out a domestic vaccine in the spring.

But spotty public disclosure could impede the vaccine rollout, said Turkish Medical Association head Sebnem Korur Fincanci.

“Many people do not trust the government and they are against the vaccination because of this loss of trust,” she said, adding lockdown measures must complement inoculations.

“Vaccination is not enough. Also we have to lock down and decrease the speed of the transmission. Then vaccination would be helpful and effective.”

Current weekend curfews are not enough while workplaces remain open all week, she said.

Playing with his young children in a park in Diyarbakir, Guldiken said stricter measures were needed despite the psychological impact of isolation and grieving.

“Sharing this process (grieving) is very important, but unfortunately we can’t if we are to prevent the spread of the virus.”



US Judge Blocks Deportation of Columbia University Palestinian Activist

Mohsen Mahdawi at a press conference in Vermont last year - Photo by Alex Driehaus/AP
Mohsen Mahdawi at a press conference in Vermont last year - Photo by Alex Driehaus/AP
TT

US Judge Blocks Deportation of Columbia University Palestinian Activist

Mohsen Mahdawi at a press conference in Vermont last year - Photo by Alex Driehaus/AP
Mohsen Mahdawi at a press conference in Vermont last year - Photo by Alex Driehaus/AP

A US immigration judge has blocked the deportation of a Palestinian graduate student who helped organize protests at Columbia University against Israel's war in Gaza, according to US media reports.

Mohsen Mahdawi was arrested by immigration agents last year as he was attending an interview to become a US citizen.

Mahdawi had been involved in a wave of demonstrations that gripped several major US university campuses since Israel began a massive military campaign in the Gaza Strip.

A Palestinian born in the occupied West Bank, Mahdawi has been a legal US permanent resident since 2015 and graduated from the prestigious New York university in May. He has been free from federal custody since April.

In an order made public on Tuesday, Judge Nina Froes said that President Donald Trump's administration did not provide sufficient evidence that Mahdawi could be legally removed from the United States, multiple media outlets reported.

Froes reportedly questioned the authenticity of a copy of a document purportedly signed by Secretary of State Marco Rubio that said Mahdawi's activism "could undermine the Middle East peace process by reinforcing antisemitic sentiment," according to the New York Times.

Rubio has argued that federal law grants him the authority to summarily revoke visas and deport migrants who pose threats to US foreign policy.

The Trump administration can still appeal the decision, which marked a setback in the Republican president's efforts to crack down on pro-Palestinian campus activists.

The administration has also attempted to deport Mahmoud Khalil, another student activist who co-founded a Palestinian student group at Columbia, alongside Mahdawi.

"I am grateful to the court for honoring the rule of law and holding the line against the government's attempts to trample on due process," Mahdawi said in a statement released by his attorneys and published Tuesday by several media outlets.

"This decision is an important step towards upholding what fear tried to destroy: the right to speak for peace and justice."


Fire Breaks out Near Iran's Capital Tehran, State Media Says

Smoke rises from a fire caused by an explosion in Tehran (File photo - Reuters)
Smoke rises from a fire caused by an explosion in Tehran (File photo - Reuters)
TT

Fire Breaks out Near Iran's Capital Tehran, State Media Says

Smoke rises from a fire caused by an explosion in Tehran (File photo - Reuters)
Smoke rises from a fire caused by an explosion in Tehran (File photo - Reuters)

A fire broke out in Iran's Parand near the capital city Tehran, state media reported on Wednesday, publishing videos of smoke rising over the area which is close to several military and strategic sites in the country's Tehran province, Reuters reported.

"The black smoke seen near the city of Parand is the result of a fire in the reeds around the Parand river bank... fire fighters are on site and the fire extinguishing operation is underway", state media cited the Parand fire department as saying.


Pakistan PM Sharif to Seek Clarity on Troops for Gaza in US Visit

US President Donald Trump looks at Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif speaking following the official signing of the first phase of the Gaza ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hamas, during a world leaders' summit on ending the Gaza war, in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt, October 13, 2025. REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein/File Photo
US President Donald Trump looks at Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif speaking following the official signing of the first phase of the Gaza ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hamas, during a world leaders' summit on ending the Gaza war, in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt, October 13, 2025. REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein/File Photo
TT

Pakistan PM Sharif to Seek Clarity on Troops for Gaza in US Visit

US President Donald Trump looks at Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif speaking following the official signing of the first phase of the Gaza ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hamas, during a world leaders' summit on ending the Gaza war, in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt, October 13, 2025. REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein/File Photo
US President Donald Trump looks at Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif speaking following the official signing of the first phase of the Gaza ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hamas, during a world leaders' summit on ending the Gaza war, in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt, October 13, 2025. REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein/File Photo

Before Pakistan commits to sending troops to Gaza as part of the International Stabilization Force it wants assurances from the United States that it will be a peacekeeping mission rather than tasked with disarming Hamas, three sources told Reuters.

Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif is set to attend the first formal meeting of President Donald Trump's Board of Peace in Washington on Thursday, alongside delegations from at least 20 countries.

Trump, who will chair the meeting, is expected to announce a multi-billion dollar reconstruction plan for Gaza and detail plans for a UN-authorized stabilization force for the Palestinian enclave.

Three government sources said during the Washington visit Sharif wanted to better understand the goal of the ISF, what authority they were operating under and what the chain of command was before making a decision on deploying troops.

"We are ready to send troops. Let me make it clear that our troops could only be part of a peace mission in Gaza," said one of the sources, a close aide of Sharif.

"We will not be part of any other role, such as disarming Hamas. It is out of the question," he said.

Analysts say Pakistan would be an asset to the multinational force, with its experienced military that has gone to war with arch-rival India and tackled insurgencies.

"We can send initially a couple of thousand troops anytime, but we need to know what role they are going to play," the source added.

Two of the sources said it was likely Sharif, who has met Trump earlier this year in Davos and late last year at the White House, would either have an audience with him on the sidelines of the meeting or the following day at the White House.

Initially designed to cement Gaza's ceasefire, Trump sees the Board of Peace, launched in late January, taking a wider role in resolving global conflicts. Some countries have reacted cautiously, fearing it could become a rival to the United Nations.

While Pakistan has supported the establishment of the board, it has voiced concerns against the mission to demilitarize Gaza's militant group Hamas.