Ben Chilwell: 'We Feel We Can’t Really Lose, Which Is Great if You Also Work Hard'

 Ben Chilwell says Chelsea’s manager, Frank Lampard, ‘makes sure the standards don’t slip’. Photograph: Marc Atkins/Getty Images
Ben Chilwell says Chelsea’s manager, Frank Lampard, ‘makes sure the standards don’t slip’. Photograph: Marc Atkins/Getty Images
TT

Ben Chilwell: 'We Feel We Can’t Really Lose, Which Is Great if You Also Work Hard'

 Ben Chilwell says Chelsea’s manager, Frank Lampard, ‘makes sure the standards don’t slip’. Photograph: Marc Atkins/Getty Images
Ben Chilwell says Chelsea’s manager, Frank Lampard, ‘makes sure the standards don’t slip’. Photograph: Marc Atkins/Getty Images

Ben Chilwell puffs out his cheeks. It briefly seems that the task of identifying the best crosser at Chelsea has stumped him. “There’s a few,” he says, pausing for a moment. “I’d like to say I’m a good crosser but then you’ve got Hakim Ziyech and Reece James. I don’t want to miss anyone out but they’re the two who jump out. Hakim’s left foot is brilliant.”

Despite some gentle nudging, Chilwell resists putting himself top. Modesty comes first, even though the left-back has given Chelsea a new attacking dimension with his pinpoint deliveries since his £45m move from Leicester last summer. Comfortable in his surroundings, Chilwell is following Frank Lampard’s instructions impeccably, combining defensive duties with supporting the attack with energy and quality.

“The fact he likes our full-backs to be high and wide suits me,” Chilwell says. “I had to make sure defending was my priority. But the fact as full-backs we go forward was part of why I wanted to come. You’ve just got to make sure your deliveries are good and the strikers will do the rest. We work a lot on it in training, wide players getting crosses in.”

It is an insight into Chelsea’s approach under Lampard. After struggling to break down negative sides last season, they have been crushing opponents in recent weeks and are two points off the Premier League summit before visiting Everton on Saturday evening. Although Kai Havertz, Timo Werner and Ziyech are eye-catching additions in attack, the freedom Lampard’s full-backs enjoy has played a big part in Chelsea’s improvement in the final third.

Chilwell has been in flying form. After missing the start of the season with a heel injury, he dazzled on his first start, scoring the opener in Chelsea’s 4-0 win against Crystal Palace in October and creating a goal for Kurt Zouma with a lovely cross. He keeps arriving in dangerous positions and scored again last month in the win against Sheffield United after meeting a Ziyech cross.

Opposition wingers are forced back. The threat also comes from right-back, with James crossing for Olivier Giroud to equalize in the win against Leeds last week. “I knew how good Reece was before I came here but I just wanted to say how much he’s surprised me,” Chilwell says. “He’s unbelievable, especially for 20 years old. He’s a brilliant player. He’s powerful but quick with it. He’s very difficult to play against because of how physical he likes to be against his opponents.”

Ben Chilwell, pictured in action against Leeds, says: ‘Over the last five or 10 years full-backs have become a massive part of a team.’

Full-backs have grown in importance in recent years. With Andy Robertson and Trent Alexander-Arnold crucial to Liverpool’s success, it is no wonder Lampard has given responsibility to Chilwell and James. “Fifteen years ago it was more about the full-back staying back,” Chilwell says. “Over the last five or 10 years full-backs have become a massive part of a team, getting forward and creating chances.”

Some doubted that Chilwell, who names Ashley Cole and Real Madrid’s Marcelo as inspirations, was right for Chelsea. Yet it is obvious why Lampard, who needed to strengthen a leaky defense, did not hesitate to sign the England international. Sharp in the tackle and not easily outpaced, Chilwell has been influential in Chelsea stiffening up at the back.

He could have gone down a different path, though. “I was a central midfielder until I was about 12 and I went on trial at Leicester against Chelsea,” he says. “The left-back got injured on the day so I started off in center-mid and then filled in for him. After that I stayed there.”

Chilwell thinks about talk of his England colleague, Alexander-Arnold revolutionizing the role of full-back. “It’s been redefined loads over the last 10 years,” he says. “It’s probably going to keep progressing. Trent, myself and other younger players will hopefully be in the game for the next 10 years and if we model the game for the next generation then that’s a positive.”

Chilwell knows he is in a position of responsibility. The tone changes when we discuss Chelsea’s Say No To Antisemitism campaign. In the latest initiative the club have teamed up with Solomon Souza, a British Israeli street artist, to launch 49 Flames, an exhibition about Jewish athletes who died during the Holocaust.

“I didn’t ever think that there would have been athletes and world champions in their individual sports, talented, famous people, who were also killed,” Chilwell says. “That was the eye-opening bit. What happened to everyone was horrible but I never really thought that there were people in a similar position to me who were also involved.”

Chilwell has also tackled mental health issues. He struggled with confidence when his form for Leicester dipped during the middle of last season. “It’s important that people talk,” he says. “With coronavirus it’s pretty difficult for a lot of people. I knew using my voice could help other people.”

Speaking to a sports psychologist at Leicester helped Chilwell’s performances improve. But there have been other challenges. He missed England’s September internationals because of injury, then sat out games against Belgium and Wales in October after breaching Covid-19 regulations by attending a party with Tammy Abraham and Jadon Sancho.

Short of alternatives to Chilwell at left-back, Gareth Southgate switched to a back three. Yet Chilwell, who started at left wing-back in England’s defeat by Belgium last month, believes he can flourish in a 3-4-3 formation. “Wing-back, full-back, they both suit me. They bring out different parts of my game but I’ve played both for Chelsea.”

Chilwell feels good. He buzzes about his first conversation with Lampard, saying they hit it off straight away. Team spirit is strong. Chilwell knew Mason Mount and Abraham from England duty and has built a strong relationship with Werner. “We play on the same side of the pitch and it’s important we get on,” Chilwell says. “He’s a funny, laid-back guy. He doesn’t really seem fazed. You never see him get angry away from football.”

Unbeaten in 17 games in all competitions, Chelsea are emerging as title contenders. “We’re not looking that far ahead,” Chilwell says. “What I’m finding quite interesting is the confidence of the group. There doesn’t seem to be any drop off at any stage and hopefully that will continue for the rest of the season because we have a great squad. The positive thing is we don’t get carried away.

“When we won the league with Leicester in 2016, when I was fortunate enough to be in the squad at 18 or 19 years old, what I found was that the boys were going into every game confident they were going to win. At the moment with Chelsea that’s what the group feels like.

“When we go into matches we feel like we can’t really lose at the moment, which is a great thing to have as long as you work hard with it. I knew the expectations are to win titles and trophies. That’s the reason I wanted to come. I’m 23 years old and it was important to come to a club where hopefully I can win stuff. The manager makes sure the standards don’t slip. We all see how hard he works and it rubs off on us.”

The Guardian Sport



PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
TT

PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz

Paris Saint-Germain coach Luis ‌Enrique hailed the mental strength of his side in coming from two goals down to win 3-2 away at Monaco in the Champions League on Tuesday, but warned the knockout round tie was far from finished.

The first leg clash between the two Ligue 1 clubs saw Folarin Balogun score twice for the hosts in the opening 18 minutes before Vitinha had his penalty saved to compound matters.

But after Desire Doue came on for injured Ousmane Dembele, the ‌match turned ‌and defending champions PSG went on to ‌secure ⁠a one-goal advantage ⁠for the return leg.

"Normally, when a team starts a match like that, the most likely outcome is a loss,” Reuters quoted Luis Enrique as saying.

“It was catastrophic. It's impossible to start a match like that. The first two times they overcame our pressure and entered our half, they scored. They ⁠made some very good plays.

“After that, it's difficult ‌to have confidence, but we ‌showed our mental strength. Plus, we missed a penalty, so ‌it was a chance to regain confidence. In the ‌last six times we've played here, this is only the second time we've won, which shows how difficult it is.”

The 20-year-old Doue scored twice and provided a third for Achraf Hakimi, just ‌days after he had turned in a poor performance against Stade Rennais last Friday ⁠and was ⁠dropped for the Monaco clash.

“I'm happy for him because this past week, everyone criticized and tore Doue apart, but he was sensational, he showed his character. He helped the team at the best possible time.”

Dembele’s injury would be assessed, the coach added. “He took a knock in the first 15 minutes, then he couldn't run.”

The return leg at the Parc des Princes will be next Wednesday. “Considering how the match started, I'm happy with the result. But the match in Paris will be difficult, it will be a different story,” Luis Enrique warned.


Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TT

Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)

Real Madrid forward Kylian Mbappe said Benfica's Gianluca Prestianni should be banned from the Champions League after the Argentine was accused of directing a racist slur at Vinicius Jr during the Spanish side's 1-0 playoff first-leg win on Tuesday.

Denying the accusation, Prestianni said the Brazilian misheard him.

The incident occurred shortly after Vinicius had curled Real into the lead five minutes into the second half in Lisbon.

Television footage showed the Argentine winger covering his mouth with his shirt before making a comment that Vinicius and nearby teammates interpreted as a racial ‌slur against ‌the 25-year-old, with referee Francois Letexier halting the match for ‌11 ⁠minutes after activating ⁠FIFA's anti-racism protocols.

The footage appeared to show an outraged Mbappe calling Prestianni "a bloody racist" to his face, Reuters reported.

The atmosphere grew hostile after play resumed, with Vinicius and Mbappe loudly booed by the home crowd whenever they touched the ball. Despite the rising tensions, the players were able to close out the game without further interruptions.

"I want to clarify that at no time did I direct racist insults to Vini Jr, ⁠who regrettably misunderstood what he thought he heard," Prestianni wrote ‌on his Instagram account.

"I was never racist with ‌anyone and I regret the threats I received from Real Madrid players."

Mbappe told reporters he ‌heard Prestianni direct the same racist remark at Vinicius several times, an allegation ‌also levelled by Real's French midfielder Aurelien Tchouamen.

Mbappe said he had been prepared to leave the pitch but was persuaded by Vinicius to continue playing.

"We cannot accept that there is a player in Europe's top football competition who behaves like this. This guy (Prestianni) doesn't ‌deserve to play in the Champions League anymore," Mbappe told reporters.

"We have to set an example for all the children ⁠watching us at ⁠home. What happened today is the kind of thing we cannot accept because the world is watching us.

When asked whether Prestianni had apologized, Mbappe laughed.

"Of course not," he said.

Vinicius later posted a statement on social media voicing his frustration.

"Racists are, above all, cowards. They need to cover their mouth with their shirt to show how weak they are. But they have the protection of others who, theoretically, have an obligation to punish them. Nothing that happened today is new in my life or my family's life," Vinicius wrote.

The Brazilian has faced repeated racist abuse in Spain, with 18 legal complaints filed against racist behavior targeting Vinicius since 2022.

Real Madrid and Benfica will meet again for the second leg next Wednesday at the Bernabeu.


Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
TT

Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)

The Kings League-Middle East announced that its second season will kick off in Riyadh on March 27.

The season will feature 10 teams, compared to eight in the inaugural edition, under a format that combines sporting competition with digital engagement and includes the participation of several content creators from across the region.

The Kings League-Middle East is organized in partnership with SURJ Sports Investments, a subsidiary of the Public Investment Fund (PIF), as part of efforts to support the development of innovative sports models that integrate football with digital entertainment.

Seven teams will return for the second season: DR7, ABO FC, FWZ, Red Zone, Turbo, Ultra Chmicha, and 3BS. Three additional teams are set to be announced before the start of the competition.

Matches of the second season will be held at Cool Arena in Riyadh under a single round-robin format, with the top-ranked teams advancing to the knockout stages, culminating in the final match.

The inaugural edition recorded strong attendance and wide digital engagement, with approximately a million viewers following the live broadcasts on television and digital platforms.