Gantz Obstructs Nentayahu’s Move to Legalize Outposts

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Defense Minister Benny Gantz at the weekly cabinet meeting (File photo: AFP)
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Defense Minister Benny Gantz at the weekly cabinet meeting (File photo: AFP)
TT

Gantz Obstructs Nentayahu’s Move to Legalize Outposts

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Defense Minister Benny Gantz at the weekly cabinet meeting (File photo: AFP)
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Defense Minister Benny Gantz at the weekly cabinet meeting (File photo: AFP)

Israeli Alternate Prime Minister and Defense Minister Benny Gantz has blocked PM Benjamin Netanyahu's attempt to legalize the settlement outposts.

Gantz refused to include the proposal on the government’s agenda, saying that discussing such an important issue a day before the inauguration of US President Joe Biden is irresponsible.

Netanyahu tried to include the proposal on last week’s agenda, but Gantz requested a meeting for deliberation, which never happened.

Rather, Likud sources claimed that Gantz had agreed to the move, which he soon denied, compelling a number of settlers to accuse Netanyahu of hiding behind the minister.

Tuesday’s cabinet session discussed extending the lockdown measures to limit the spread of the coronavirus, but Netanyahu tried to include a proposal that would recognize the illegal communities.

He said 18,000 Jewish settlers living in the outposts are in tragic conditions, without water or electricity, stressing that their sites must be recognized as official settlements for humanitarian reasons.

Gantz rejected the proposal, saying it was “irresponsible”, and indicated that senior officials and experts of the justice and foreign ministries have voiced their opposition to the project to “legitimize outposts” for political and legal reasons.

Senior Justice Ministry officials said the transitional government is not entitled to take such decisions, warning of the impact they might have on the investigations of the International Criminal Court (ICC) against Israel on the issue of settlements.

In addition, the Palestinian Foreign Ministry announced that it would include the legalization of the outposts to its case against Israel.

The draft resolution aims to legalize 49 outposts of the unrecognized 110.

Last month, 20 representatives of groups protesting the delay in recognizing the outposts launched a sit-in before Netanyahu's office.

Two weeks ago, they began a hunger strike and Samaria Regional Council chairman Yossi Dagan was hospitalized after collapsing.

Dagan said earlier that Netanyahu is not serious about legalizing the outposts.

Observers believe Netanyahu was aware that Gantz would not allow the issue to be discussed in the government, yet he insisted on bringing it up to say that Gantz was the one against the decision.



EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.


Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.