Pentagon to Asharq Al-Awsat: Saudi Arabia is a Major Partner, Important Pillar of Regional Security

 FILE PHOTO: The Pentagon is seen in this aerial photo from the Air Force One in Washington, DC, US, March 29, 2018. REUTERS/Yuri Gripas/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: The Pentagon is seen in this aerial photo from the Air Force One in Washington, DC, US, March 29, 2018. REUTERS/Yuri Gripas/File Photo
TT

Pentagon to Asharq Al-Awsat: Saudi Arabia is a Major Partner, Important Pillar of Regional Security

 FILE PHOTO: The Pentagon is seen in this aerial photo from the Air Force One in Washington, DC, US, March 29, 2018. REUTERS/Yuri Gripas/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: The Pentagon is seen in this aerial photo from the Air Force One in Washington, DC, US, March 29, 2018. REUTERS/Yuri Gripas/File Photo

The US Department of Defense (the Pentagon) said that Saudi Arabia was a major partner of the United States in the region and an important pillar of the regional security.

This comes as the US is preparing to strengthen its military bases in the Kingdom during the coming period.

Lieutenant Colonel in the Marine Corps Anton Semelroth, a spokesman for the Pentagon, told Asharq Al-Awsat that the Ministry of Defense continues to assess its situation in the Middle East and the Arabian Gulf region to ensure a balance between operational requirements and risks, as well as to prepare for achieving global commitments.

Semelroth stressed that Saudi Arabia was a key partner of the United States in the Middle East and an important pillar of regional security.

He quoted Lloyd Austin, the Secretary of Defense, as telling the Senate Armed Services Committee last week that the Ministry of Defense will maintain talks with its regional partners in the Middle East to determine the capabilities required to deter Iran and support regional stability.

Asked about the suspension of arms sales and transfers to Saudi Arabia, as well as direct commercial sales that were permitted by the administration of former President Donald Trump, the high-ranking US official stressed that this move was temporary.

He emphasized that this regular administrative procedure “demonstrates the administration’s commitment to transparency and good governance, in addition to ensuring that US arms sales meet our strategic goals of building a robust security system for our partners that is more resilient to risks.”

US Secretary of State Antony Blinken said that his country would focus on the actions of the Houthi group, which occupied Sanaa and targeted Washington’s direct ally - Saudi Arabia. In his first press conference on Wednesday, Blinken stressed that the Houthis committed numerous violations against human rights.

For his part, General Kenneth Mckenzie, commander of the Central Command on the Middle East, revealed that the Pentagon had concluded a preliminary arrangement with Riyadh for the use of various air bases and sea ports in the western regions of the country to face any war with Iran.

Addressing journalists during a visit to the US bases in Saudi Arabia earlier this week, Mckenzie said that in the event of any conflict with Iran, the United States would be able to transfer forces to and from the region from the West, and to place fighters and other aircraft away from Iranian missile launchers.



King Salman Directs Disbursement of over SAR3 Billion as Ramadan Assistance for Social Security Beneficiaries

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz. (SPA)
Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz. (SPA)
TT

King Salman Directs Disbursement of over SAR3 Billion as Ramadan Assistance for Social Security Beneficiaries

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz. (SPA)
Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz. (SPA)

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, upon the recommendation of Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince and Prime Minister, has directed the disbursement of more than SAR3 billion in Ramadan assistance to social security beneficiaries, SPA reported.

The directive reflects the leadership’s commitment to addressing the needs of beneficiary families and ensuring their requirements are met during the holy month of Ramadan.

The generous assistance includes SAR1,000 for the head of each household and SAR500 for each dependent. The amounts are expected to be deposited directly into the beneficiaries’ bank accounts within the coming hours.

Minister of Human Resources and Social Development Ahmed Al-Rajhi expressed his gratitude and appreciation to the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques and the Crown Prince for this generous gesture toward social security beneficiaries and for their continued attention to citizens’ needs during Ramadan.


Makkah Deputy Governor Carries Out Field Inspection of Grand Mosque Readiness for Ramadan 

Deputy Governor of the Makkah Region Prince Saud bin Mishaal bin Abdulaziz is seen during his inspection tour at the Grand Mosque in the holy city of Makkah. (SPA)
Deputy Governor of the Makkah Region Prince Saud bin Mishaal bin Abdulaziz is seen during his inspection tour at the Grand Mosque in the holy city of Makkah. (SPA)
TT

Makkah Deputy Governor Carries Out Field Inspection of Grand Mosque Readiness for Ramadan 

Deputy Governor of the Makkah Region Prince Saud bin Mishaal bin Abdulaziz is seen during his inspection tour at the Grand Mosque in the holy city of Makkah. (SPA)
Deputy Governor of the Makkah Region Prince Saud bin Mishaal bin Abdulaziz is seen during his inspection tour at the Grand Mosque in the holy city of Makkah. (SPA)

Deputy Governor of the Makkah Region Prince Saud bin Mishaal bin Abdulaziz inspected the readiness of the Grand Mosque and its facilities, conducting a field tour to review operational and service preparations for receiving worshippers and Umrah performers during the holy month of Ramadan, reported the Saudi Press Agency on Tuesday.

Prince Saud was briefed on the operational plans implemented by the relevant authorities, including crowd management mechanisms, service enhancements, and facility preparations aimed at ensuring smooth movement and enhancing comfort and safety levels for visitors to the Grand Mosque, particularly during peak times.

He reviewed developmental initiatives and smart services supporting the operational system, notably electric mobility carts for transporting the elderly, persons with disabilities, and those in need of assistance within the Grand Mosque.

The tour also included an overview of the efforts of guidance teams deployed across the corridors and courtyards of the Grand Mosque, providing multilingual assistance and direction.

Prince Saud reviewed the interactive map and digital mobility platform, which allows visitors to plan their routes in advance and identify service locations, entrances and exits, and less crowded pathways.

He was briefed on crowd management systems, including the visitor density sensor platform that measures human density in real time, and the Tawaf and Sa’i crowd status display service, which allows worshippers to select appropriate times to perform rituals with ease. Models of the modern multilingual guidance system were also reviewed.

Prince Saud also visited the Smart Engineering Command and Control Center, which serves as an advanced central platform linking operational systems and monitoring performance in real time, boosting operational efficiency and raising readiness levels during Ramadan.


Saudi Leadership Provides Two Donations Worth SAR150 Mln Through Jood Eskan Platform

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA)
Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA)
TT

Saudi Leadership Provides Two Donations Worth SAR150 Mln Through Jood Eskan Platform

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA)
Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA)

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince and Prime Minister, have provided two generous donations amounting to SAR150 million through the Jood Eskan platform.

The move aligns with the leadership's commitment to supporting all national efforts and initiatives to provide suitable housing for deserving families.

Minister of Municipalities and Housing and Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Developmental Housing Foundation (Sakan) Majed Al-Hogail expressed his deep gratitude to the leadership for its unwavering support to all national efforts and initiatives aimed at providing suitable housing for eligible families across the Kingdom.

He noted the effective impact of previous generous donations in achieving the goals of housing development, and motivating individuals and institutions to donate through the Jood Eskan platform that is based on community giving that helps provide decent housing and boosts stability and quality of life for deserving families.