Gaddafi’s Daughter-in-Law Claims Damascus Incident was an Attempted Kidnap

General view shows Damascus, Syria. Reuters file photo
General view shows Damascus, Syria. Reuters file photo
TT
20

Gaddafi’s Daughter-in-Law Claims Damascus Incident was an Attempted Kidnap

General view shows Damascus, Syria. Reuters file photo
General view shows Damascus, Syria. Reuters file photo

The daughter-in-law of late Libyan dictator Muammar Gaddafi has expressed her desire to leave Syria, where she is granted political asylum.

Aline Skaf is claiming that security forces attempting to arrest her in Damascus last week was part of a larger plot to kidnap her. She expressed fears of meeting the same fate as her husband, Hannibal Gaddafi, who is currently detained in Lebanon.

On January 24, security forces scrambled in the Chiekh Saad neighborhood in the Syrian capital after Skaf having rammed her car into police officers and pedestrians in a road rage attack, local witnesses reported.

Skaf, however, was spirited away by an influential Syrian official who saved her from being arrested.

The former model’s defense attorneys released a message directed to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, telling their client’s side of the story and stating that she was dealt a great deal of injustice.

Circulated on social media platforms and by media outlets in Lebanon, the letter voiced Skaf’s concerns that she has overstayed her welcome in Syria.

“We thank you for hosting us for five years, and for granting us safety, but I think that our visit was prolonged and guests must not outstay their welcome,” it said.

Recounting the events of the incident, the letter noted that Skaf was heading to shop in the Mezzeh area with her friend and 15-year-old son.

While Skaf was parked by the side of the road waiting to collect her purchases from a nearby store, a policeman showed up and pulled her over requesting documents.

“She complied with the officer’s request and told him that she would not park for too long,” the letter confirmed, adding that the policeman had blocked Skaf’s way with his motorbike and refused to allow her to leave.

The officer also denied Skaf’s request to have her escorting bodyguards sort out the situation, despite them producing needed identification.

According to Skaf, the policeman used inappropriate language and proceeded to sit on her vehicle’s hood.

Maintaining that there was another officer filming the quarrel, the letter said that the speed at which Syrian opposition media outlets reported the incident confirms that it was a set up aimed at undermining Syrian leadership.

The letter stressed that danger looms over members of Hannibal Gaddafi’s family.



Beirut Airport Security Moves to Curb Hezbollah’s Influence

A plane takes off from Beirut airport on October 7, 2024 (Reuters).
A plane takes off from Beirut airport on October 7, 2024 (Reuters).
TT
20

Beirut Airport Security Moves to Curb Hezbollah’s Influence

A plane takes off from Beirut airport on October 7, 2024 (Reuters).
A plane takes off from Beirut airport on October 7, 2024 (Reuters).

Lebanese authorities have begun curbing Hezbollah’s influence at Beirut’s Rafik Hariri International Airport by revoking the security clearances of numerous airport workers affiliated with the group.

The airport security apparatus has refused to renew these permits, significantly limiting Hezbollah’s reach within the facility.

According to an informed airport source, over 30 employees have been notified that their security clearances have expired and will not be renewed. Speaking to Asharq Al-Awsat, the source explained that the decision affected not only baggage handlers assisting passengers but also those loading and unloading aircraft, as well as personnel in baggage inspection and lost-and-found departments.

“The decision came as a shock to those affected, especially since many had worked at the airport for years with unrestricted movement,” the source said.

This move aims to enhance airport security and reduce Hezbollah’s influence to the lowest possible level. The source described the dismissed employees as “the party’s eyes and ears inside the airport, providing a constant flow of intelligence on the movement of travelers.”

The source also revealed that Hezbollah had previously exerted pressure to secure employment and access permits for its loyalists, ensuring that only individuals approved by the group could receive such authorizations.

“This is how Hezbollah expanded its control over the airport for decades,” the source added.

The crackdown follows Lebanon’s recent ban on Iranian civilian aircraft landing at Rafik Hariri International Airport, alongside stricter baggage inspections for passengers arriving from Iraq or those transiting through a third country from Iran. These measures were introduced after authorities discovered undeclared cash, suspected to be Iranian funds intended for Hezbollah.

The restrictions sparked protests from Hezbollah supporters, who staged week-long demonstrations in February, blocking airport access roads and causing disruptions to flight schedules.

The effort to limit Hezbollah’s reach extends beyond civilian workers. A senior security official told Asharq Al-Awsat that the purge will also affect security personnel within airport divisions, including customs officers, Internal Security Forces (ISF) personnel, and General Security officers.

“Many individuals are suspected of facilitating Hezbollah’s activities, whether out of political loyalty or financial incentives,” the official said.

The official described the ongoing changes as a “major security shake-up” aimed at replacing those under suspicion. The restructuring depends on internal reshuffles within Lebanon’s security agencies.

“The newly appointed security chiefs now have a clear picture of the situation. Upcoming personnel rotations will certainly include units operating at the airport,” the official confirmed.