Houthis Threaten Christians in Yemen with Same Fate as Priest Detained for 4 Years

A picture shows a general view of the historical quarter of the Yemeni capital Sanaa, on April 21, 2020. (Getty Images)
A picture shows a general view of the historical quarter of the Yemeni capital Sanaa, on April 21, 2020. (Getty Images)
TT

Houthis Threaten Christians in Yemen with Same Fate as Priest Detained for 4 Years

A picture shows a general view of the historical quarter of the Yemeni capital Sanaa, on April 21, 2020. (Getty Images)
A picture shows a general view of the historical quarter of the Yemeni capital Sanaa, on April 21, 2020. (Getty Images)

Christians in Yemen have become the latest targets of the Iran-backed Houthi militias’ oppression. Jews and Baha’is have long been oppressed by the militias.

Informed sources told Asharq Al-Awsat that priest Musheer Khulaidi, 50, has been held by the militias’ intelligence detention center for four years.

The numbers of Jews in Yemen have been dwindling with the Houthis insisting on deporting the last two remaining families from Sanaa. The militias have already expelled the leaders of the Baha’i sect, while 19 others are standing trial in spite of an amnesty they received last year following four years of trials.

Sources in Sanaa told Asharq Al-Awsat that the Houthis have specifically been targeting Yemeni Christians, arresting several, including Khulaidi, who has been tortured in jail. Houthi intelligence has also been investigating other figures to determine their religious beliefs.

The majority of Yemeni Christians have already fled the country.

Prisoners, who were recently released from Houthi intelligence detention centers, and friends of Christians revealed to Asharq Al-Awsat that the Houthis have been cracking down on Yemenis whom they suspect of being Christian.

Khulaidi’s family has refused to comment on the priest’s case, fearing he will be further tortured and abused.

Some of his relatives have fled from Houthi-held regions and left Yemen altogether. Others have moved to regions falling under the control of the legitimate government, sources said.

One of the released prisoners told Asharq Al-Awsat that he became acquainted with the priest while he was in detention. He also revealed that he met others who were detained for their Christian beliefs.

The prisoner revealed that Khulaidi was arrested shortly after the Houthis took over Sanaa. The priest is constantly being tortured and held for weeks in solitary confinement.

Other Christian detainees were forced to leave their religion under the threat of torture, said the prisoner.

Meanwhile, two of Khulaidi’s friends told Asharq Al-Awsat that he converted to Christianity in the mid-1990s.

Prior to the Houthi takeover of Sanaa, the Christians in the capital used to perform their religious practices in secret at their homes in Sanaa, Taiz and Marib, said the friends on condition of anonymity.

The majority, estimated at some 2,000, have since emigrated from Yemen and moved to Beirut or Cyprus, before later moving to other countries.

The sources revealed that Khulaidi’s wife and five children are currently living in a rented apartment in Sanaa. They are helpless from doing anything because the Houthis do not tolerate Yemeni followers of other religions. They live in fear for their lives because of the militias’ extremism and reach of their intelligence members.

The sources said that Houthi leader Khaled al-Madani is in charge of the militias’ so-called “signs of westernization” file. His duties, besides cracking down on Christians, is monitoring businesses where women are allowed to work, controlling dress codes and co-ed mixing at universities.

Meanwhile, the Baha'i International Community (BIC) issued a statement, saying: “Houthi authorities—who have harassed the country’s Baha’i religious minority since taking power in the capital Sanaa, in 2014—continue to intimidate and endanger the lives of Baha’is while also seeking to appropriate their properties. In the latest development, 19 Baha’is are being summoned before a Houthi court for the resumption of their trial, and will be branded as fugitives if they do not appear.”

“If they do appear, these 19 will in all likelihood be convicted of the baseless charges leveled against them because of their Baha’i beliefs, which include ‘showing kindness’ and ‘displaying rectitude of conduct’, and then jailed and subjected to mistreatment,” it said.

“What is happening to these nineteen people is an all too familiar outrageous occurrence,” said Diane Ala’i, the Baha’i International Community’s (BIC) Representative to the United Nations in Geneva, referring to the fate of six other Yemeni Baha’is in previous years. The six were arrested between 2013 and 2017 and jailed and tortured, before a UN-backed campaign eventually secured their release in July 2020 on the condition that they be deported from Yemen. The Houthis then branded them “fugitives” despite having forced their exile.

“As part of the court summons, the authorities are expected to publish the names of the nineteen in the media, directly endangering their lives in a context where violence against the Baha’is has been publicly encouraged,” said the BIC statement.



Lebanon Says One Killed in Israeli Strike on Palestinian Refugee Camp

22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
TT

Lebanon Says One Killed in Israeli Strike on Palestinian Refugee Camp

22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)

An Israeli strike on Lebanon's largest Palestinian refugee camp killed one person on Friday, state media reported, with the Israeli army saying it had targeted the Palestinian group Hamas.

The official National News Agency said "an Israeli drone" targeted a neighborhood of the Ain al-Hilweh camp, which is located on the outskirts of the southern city of Sidon.

It reported that one person was killed and an unspecified number wounded.

An AFP correspondent saw smoke rising from a building in the densely populated camp as ambulances headed to the scene.

The Israeli army said in a statement that its forces "struck a Hamas command center from which terrorists operated".

Israel has kept up regular strikes on Lebanon despite a November 2024 ceasefire that sought to halt more than a year of hostilities with Hezbollah.

Israel has also struck targets belonging to Hezbollah's Palestinian ally Hamas, including in a raid on Ain al-Hilweh last November that killed 13 people.

The UN rights office had said 11 children were killed in that strike, which Israel said targeted a Hamas training compound, though the group denied it had military installations in Palestinian camps in Lebanon.

In October 2023, Hezbollah began launching rockets at Israel in support of Hamas at the outset of the Gaza war, triggering months of exchanges that culminated in two months of all-out war in Lebanon.

On Sunday, Lebanon said an Israeli strike near the Syrian border in the country's east killed four people, as Israel said it targeted operatives from Palestinian group Islamic Jihad.


UN Says It Risks Halting Somalia Aid Due to Funding Cuts 

A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

UN Says It Risks Halting Somalia Aid Due to Funding Cuts 

A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)

The UN's World Food Program (WFP) warned Friday it would have to stop humanitarian assistance in Somalia by April if it did not receive new funding.

The Rome-based agency said it had already been forced to reduce the number of people receiving emergency food assistance from 2.2 million in early 2025 to just over 600,000 today.

"Without immediate funding, WFP will be forced to halt humanitarian assistance by April," it said in a statement.

In early January, the United States suspended aid to Somalia over reports of theft and government interference, following the destruction of a US-funded WFP warehouse in the capital Mogadishu's port.

The US announced a resumption of WFP food distribution on January 29.

However, all UN agencies have warned of serious funding shortfalls since Washington began slashing aid across the world following President Donald Trump's return to the White House last year.

"The situation is deteriorating at an alarming rate," said Ross Smith, WFP Director of Emergency Preparedness and Response, in Friday's statement.

"Families have lost everything, and many are already being pushed to the brink. Without immediate emergency food support, conditions will worsen quickly.

"We are at the cusp of a decisive moment; without urgent action, we may be unable to reach the most vulnerable in time, most of them women and children."

Some 4.4 million people in Somalia are facing crisis-levels of food insecurity, according to the WFP, the largest humanitarian agency in the country.

The Horn of Africa country has been plagued by conflict and also suffered two consecutive failed rainy seasons.


Hamas Says Path for Gaza Must Begin with End to ‘Aggression’ 

Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Hamas Says Path for Gaza Must Begin with End to ‘Aggression’ 

Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)

Discussions on Gaza's future must begin with a total halt to Israeli "aggression", the Palestinian movement Hamas said after US President Donald Trump's Board of Peace met for the first time.

"Any political process or any arrangement under discussion concerning the Gaza Strip and the future of our Palestinian people must start with the total halt of aggression, the lifting of the blockade, and the guarantee of our people's legitimate national rights, first and foremost their right to freedom and self-determination," Hamas said in a statement Thursday.

Trump's board met for its inaugural session in Washington on Thursday, with a number of countries pledging money and personnel to rebuild the Palestinian territory, more than four months into a fragile ceasefire between Israel and Hamas.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has insisted however that Hamas must disarm before any reconstruction begins.

"We agreed with our ally the US that there will be no reconstruction of Gaza before the demilitarization of Gaza," Netanyahu said.

The Israeli leader did not attend the Washington meeting but was represented by his foreign minister Gideon Saar.

Trump said several countries had pledged more than seven billion dollars to rebuild the territory.

Muslim-majority Indonesia will take a deputy commander role in a nascent International Stabilization Force, the unit's American chief Major General Jasper Jeffers said.

Trump, whose plan for Gaza was endorsed by the UN Security Council in November, also said five countries had committed to providing troops, including Morocco, Kazakhstan, Kosovo and Albania.