Former Public Works Minister to Be Questioned over Beirut Port Blast

A general view shows the damaged grain silo following the blast in Beirut's port area, Lebanon. (Reuters)
A general view shows the damaged grain silo following the blast in Beirut's port area, Lebanon. (Reuters)
TT
20

Former Public Works Minister to Be Questioned over Beirut Port Blast

A general view shows the damaged grain silo following the blast in Beirut's port area, Lebanon. (Reuters)
A general view shows the damaged grain silo following the blast in Beirut's port area, Lebanon. (Reuters)

The judicial investigator probing the Beirut port explosion, Judge Fadi Sawwan summoned former public works minister Youssef Fenianos and the port’s former customs chief Moussa Hazimeh to appear for interrogation next Thursday, Lebanon’s National News Agency said on Monday.

Six months after one of the largest non-nuclear explosions on record, which injured thousands of people, victims are still awaiting the result of the investigation, although Lebanese leaders had promised it would come within days.

Sawwan had already called former finance minister Ali Hassan Khalil, along with former public works ministers Ghazi Zoaiter and Fenianos for questioning over the blast.

However, Zoaiter and Hassan Khalil refused to attend the questioning, saying that as current members of parliament, they enjoy immunity.

The highly explosive chemicals that triggered the Beirut port explosion last August 4 were stored for years in poor conditions at the port, which lies in the heart of the capital.

Since August, Sawwan has brought charges against 37 people.

But many Lebanese remain skeptical that senior politicians will be held to account, fearing the truth will never emerge from a system riven by corruption.

Lebanese authorities have failed in the past six months to deliver any justice for the catastrophic explosion, Human Rights Watch said in a report released early this month.

Meanwhile, lawyers of Palestinians, Egyptians and Syrians killed in the explosion are following up on a letter they presented last week to Sawwan.

The four lawyers had filed a complaint against the owner Savaro, of a British-registered company possibly linked to the blast, and sole director at Companies House, Marina Psyllou, and the company's former director Greta Bieliene, requesting they be questioned to reveal the real owners of the company.

Last month, a Lebanese lawyers’ association asked British authorities to halt the voluntary liquidation of Savaro.

In the Jan. 25 letter to British lawmaker Margaret Hodge, the Beirut Bar Association (BBA) said it had asked the UK corporate registry, Companies House, to prevent, Savaro Ltd., which it described as an “indicted entity”, from being wound up in order to allow investigations into its possible role in the blast to continue.



Macron to Hold Gaza Summit with Egyptian, Jordanian Leaders

 French President Emmanuel Macron chairs a meeting with representatives of the sectors affected by new tariffs announced by President Donald Trump, Thursday, April 3, 2025 at the Elysee Palace in Paris. (AP)
French President Emmanuel Macron chairs a meeting with representatives of the sectors affected by new tariffs announced by President Donald Trump, Thursday, April 3, 2025 at the Elysee Palace in Paris. (AP)
TT
20

Macron to Hold Gaza Summit with Egyptian, Jordanian Leaders

 French President Emmanuel Macron chairs a meeting with representatives of the sectors affected by new tariffs announced by President Donald Trump, Thursday, April 3, 2025 at the Elysee Palace in Paris. (AP)
French President Emmanuel Macron chairs a meeting with representatives of the sectors affected by new tariffs announced by President Donald Trump, Thursday, April 3, 2025 at the Elysee Palace in Paris. (AP)

French President Emmanuel Macron on Saturday said he would hold a trilateral summit on the situation in Gaza with Egypt President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi and Jordan's King Abdullah II.

Israel has pushed to seize territory in Gaza since the collapse of a short-lived truce in its war with Hamas, in what it has called a strategy to force the group to free hostages still in captivity.

Simultaneously, Israel has escalated attacks on Lebanon and Syria.

"In response to the Gaza emergency and during my visit to Egypt at President al-Sisi's invitation, we will hold a trilateral summit with the Egyptian president and the King of Jordan," Macron wrote on X ahead of his trip.

The French president is expected in Cairo on Sunday evening, where he will hold talks with his Egyptian counterpart on Monday morning.

The trilateral summit will be held the same day in the Egyptian capital, according to Macron's office.

On Tuesday, Macron will also visit the Egyptian port of El-Arish, 50 kilometers (30 miles) west of the Gaza Strip, to meet humanitarian and security workers and demonstrate his "constant mobilization in favor of a ceasefire".

El-Arish is a transit point for international aid intended for Gaza.