Sisi Says Egypt Ready to Help Libya Back on Right Path

Egyptian President Sisi receives Libya's PM-designate in Cairo. (Egyptian presidency spokesman)
Egyptian President Sisi receives Libya's PM-designate in Cairo. (Egyptian presidency spokesman)
TT

Sisi Says Egypt Ready to Help Libya Back on Right Path

Egyptian President Sisi receives Libya's PM-designate in Cairo. (Egyptian presidency spokesman)
Egyptian President Sisi receives Libya's PM-designate in Cairo. (Egyptian presidency spokesman)

Libyan’s Prime Minister-designate Mohammed Dbeibeh chose Cairo as the destination of his second visit abroad amid reports that his first took him to Turkey.

In Cairo, he met with President Abdul Fattah al-Sisi during a meeting that was attended by Prime Minister Mustapha Madbouli and intelligence chief Abbas Kamel.

Dbeibeh expressed his appreciation to Egypt’s sincere and effective efforts on all levels in resolving the Libyan crisis, culminating in rapprochement between the warring parties.

He also highlighted Egypt’s role in supporting Libyan institutions combat terrorism and extremist groups.

For his part, Sisi hailed the Libyans for electing a new interim government and presidential council, saying it was the first step towards establishing a new phase in their country where national interests are prioritized above all else.

Egypt will continue to support the Libyan people in their efforts to restore state authority, peace and stability, he added.

Cairo is ready to offer its expertise to its Libyan brothers to help them return their country on the right path and pave the way for development and stability, he stressed, according to a statement from the presidency.

Talks between Sisi and Dbeibeh focused on Libyan efforts to lead the transitional phase and cooperation between Libya and Egypt. They agreed to hold further talks, especially over restoring services and security, as well as boosting economic cooperation.

Meanwhile, local media said Dbeibeh had paid a secret visit to Turkey on February 10, soon after he was appointed to his post, where he met with President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Meanwhile, the new presidential council convened for the first time in Tripoli on Wednesday. Talks focused on government formation efforts and the parliamentary elections, set for December 24.

Head of the council, Mohammed al-Menfi, later met with his deputies. A statement after their meeting said the council urges Dbeibeh to complete the government formation within the set deadline and in line with the agreements reached at the Geneva talks last year.

Menfi had on Wednesday took part in celebrations in Tripoli marking the tenth anniversary of the February 17 uprising.

In a brief statement, he stressed the need for national reconciliation, meeting the people’s needs, overcoming obstacles and unifying institutions, providing basic services and holding presidential and parliamentary elections on time.

Separately, the east-based parliament condemned the mortar attack against civilians in Sabha as they were marking the uprising anniversary. A child was killed and 29 people were injured in the attack. The perpetrators are unknown.

The parliament urged all security agencies to uncover the criminals and bring them to justice.

The United Nations mission in Libya strongly condemned the attack, calling on authorities “to ensure an independent, impartial and prompt investigation into this heinous attack on civilians” and calling for perpetrators to be brought to justice.



Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)

A Palestinian child died after stepping on a mine near an Israeli military camp in the occupied West Bank on Tuesday, the Palestinian Red Crescent said, with an Israeli defense ministry source confirming the death.

"Our crews received the body of a 13-year-old child who was killed after a mine exploded in one of the old camps in Jiftlik in the northern Jordan Valley," the Red Crescent said in a statement.

A source at COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry's agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, confirmed the death to AFP and identified the boy as Mohammed Abu Dalah, from the village of Jiftlik.

Israel's military had previously said in a statement that three Palestinians were injured "as a result of playing with unexploded ordnance", without specifying their ages.

It added that the area of the incident, Tirzah, is "a military camp in the area of the Jordan Valley", near Jiftlik and close to the Jordanian border.

"This area is a live-fire zone and entry into it is prohibited," the military said.

Jiftlik village council head Ahmad Ghawanmeh told AFP that three children, the oldest of whom was 16, were collecting herbs near the military base when they detonated a mine.

Jiftlik as well as the nearby Tirzah base are located in the Palestinian territory's Area C, which falls under direct Israeli control.

Israel has occupied the West Bank since 1967.

Much of the area near the border with Jordan -- which Israel signed a peace deal with in 1994 -- remains mined.

In January, Israel's defense ministry said it had begun demining the border area as part of construction works for a new barrier it says aims to stem weapons smuggling.


Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
TT

Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)

Hezbollah rejected on Tuesday the Lebanese government's decision to grant the army at least four months to advance the second phase of a nationwide disarmament plan, saying it would not accept what it sees as a move serving Israel.

Lebanon's cabinet tasked the army in August 2025 with drawing up and beginning to implement a plan to bring all armed groups' weapons under state control, a bid aimed primarily at disarming Hezbollah after its devastating ‌war with ‌Israel in 2024.

In September 2025 the cabinet formally ‌welcomed ⁠the army's plan to ⁠disarm the Iran-backed Shiite party, although it did not set a clear timeframe and cautioned that the military's limited capabilities and ongoing Israeli strikes could hinder progress.

Hezbollah Secretary-General Sheikh Naim Qassem said in a speech on Monday that "what the Lebanese government is doing by focusing on disarmament is a major mistake because this issue serves the goals of Israeli ⁠aggression".

Lebanon's Information Minister Paul Morcos said during a press ‌conference late on Monday after ‌a cabinet meeting that the government had taken note of the army's monthly ‌report on its arms control plan that includes restricting weapons in ‌areas north of the Litani River up to the Awali River in Sidon, and granted it four months.

"The required time frame is four months, renewable depending on available capabilities, Israeli attacks and field obstacles,” he said.

Hezbollah lawmaker Hassan ‌Fadlallah said, "we cannot be lenient," signaling the group's rejection of the timeline and the broader approach to ⁠the issue of ⁠its weapons.

Hezbollah has rejected the disarmament effort as a misstep while Israel continues to target Lebanon, and Shiite ministers walked out of the cabinet session in protest.

Israel has said Hezbollah's disarmament is a security priority, arguing that the group's weapons outside Lebanese state control pose a direct threat to its security.

Israeli officials say any disarmament plan must be fully and effectively implemented, especially in areas close to the border, and that continued Hezbollah military activity constitutes a violation of relevant international resolutions.

Israel has also said it will continue what it describes as action to prevent the entrenchment or arming of hostile actors in Lebanon until cross-border threats are eliminated.


Syria Starts Evacuating ISIS-linked Al-Hol Camp

TOPSHOT - Members of Syrian security forces march through the entrance of the Al-Hol camp in the desert region of Hasakeh province on January 21, 2026. (Photo by OMAR HAJ KADOUR / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Members of Syrian security forces march through the entrance of the Al-Hol camp in the desert region of Hasakeh province on January 21, 2026. (Photo by OMAR HAJ KADOUR / AFP)
TT

Syria Starts Evacuating ISIS-linked Al-Hol Camp

TOPSHOT - Members of Syrian security forces march through the entrance of the Al-Hol camp in the desert region of Hasakeh province on January 21, 2026. (Photo by OMAR HAJ KADOUR / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Members of Syrian security forces march through the entrance of the Al-Hol camp in the desert region of Hasakeh province on January 21, 2026. (Photo by OMAR HAJ KADOUR / AFP)

Syrian authorities began evacuating remaining residents of the ISIS group-linked Al-Hol camp in the country's northeast on Tuesday, as they empty the formerly Kurdish-controlled facility, two officials told AFP.

Fadi al-Qassem, the official appointed by the government with managing Al-Hol's affairs, told AFP that the camp "will be fully evacuated within a week, and nobody will remain", adding that "the evacuation started today".

A government source told AFP on condition of anonymity that "the emergencies and disaster management ministry is working now to evacuate Al-Hol camp" and take residents to a camp in Akhtarin, in the north of Aleppo province.