Russia Advises Syria on Constitutional Committee Ahead of UN Envoy Visit

United Nations Special Envoy to Syria Geir Pedersen. Reuters file photo
United Nations Special Envoy to Syria Geir Pedersen. Reuters file photo
TT

Russia Advises Syria on Constitutional Committee Ahead of UN Envoy Visit

United Nations Special Envoy to Syria Geir Pedersen. Reuters file photo
United Nations Special Envoy to Syria Geir Pedersen. Reuters file photo

Russia is sending messages to Syria and the West on its rejection of attempts to paralyze Syrian constitutional reforms ahead of the expected visit of the UN envoy to Syria, Geir Pedersen.

Moscow aims to pave the way for Pedersen’s talks in Damascus after he held two rounds of extensive discussions in Moscow with military and political officials.

Pederson met with Deputy Defense Minister Alexander Fomin and Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov on Thursday for talks described as “comprehensive and detailed.”

The Russian Foreign Ministry issued a statement announcing that the two sides stressed there is no alternative to the political solution in Syria.

The parties discussed Syria's problems, including the situation on the ground, comprehensive humanitarian aid, and the improvement of the socio-economic situation.

The statement indicated that Lavrov and Pedersen also addressed in detail the work of the Syrian constitutional committee, which held its fifth meeting in Geneva late January.

The two sides expressed common views that “there is no alternative to a political solution to the Syria crisis within the framework of a process led and carried out by the Syrians themselves,” based on respect for the country’s sovereignty, independence, unity, and territorial integrity as is envisioned by UN Security Council Resolution 2254, read the statement.

The diplomats exchanged views on the humanitarian situation in Syria, stressing the need to mobilize comprehensive support to those in need on all Syrian territories, without discrimination, politicization, and preconditions, which would definitely facilitate the voluntary return of refugees and internally displaced persons.

"Russia expressed its support for the UN secretary-general's call for relaxing unilateral sanctions, including those imposed on Syria in circumvention of the UN Security Council, amid the coronavirus pandemic," it said.

Meanwhile, the Russian presidential envoy for Syria, Alexander Lavrentiev, said that Moscow is working closely with the Syrians and providing them with advice to help advance the political settlement, in a manner that ensures the country's national interests.

He indicated that some officials believe Russia’s presence means that Moscow has all the tools to influence Damascus, and Syrians must comply with the orders.

“This is a wrong interpretation and a wrong approach. We can only advise and make some recommendations, and the decision must be taken directly by the Syrian government.”

Lavrentiev's statements indicate that Moscow does not intend at the present time to pressure Damascus, despite the failure of the last round of the constitutional committee talks.

Sources in Moscow said earlier that the Kremlin will likely wait for the Syrian presidential elections before taking practical steps for a settlement.

Moscow believes it is imperative to initiate a comprehensive and constructive dialogue with the new US administration, which also constitutes a condition for advancing the settlement.

Russia is also convinced that it is crucial to support the constitutional committee, said Laverntiev, asserting there is no alternative to negotiations on constitutional reform.

He warned that if the talks are undermined by the international community, the government will have to work on the constitutional reform within Syria, which would put the committee under the direct control of the regime.

He also cautioned that this option will not be supported by the international community, further extending the crisis, and that "is not within the interest of any party."

Lavrentiev acknowledged Damascus’s demands in reaching an understanding of basic national principles, such as sovereignty and territorial integrity.

He noted that many fundamental principles and points should be addressed, adding it may be time to discuss the articles of the constitution as seen by the government and the opposition.



Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
TT

Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski

Germany's military has "temporarily" moved some troops out of Erbil in northern Iraq because of "escalating tensions in the Middle East," a German defense ministry spokesman told AFP on Thursday.

Dozens of German soldiers had been relocated away from the base in Erbil, capital of Iraq's autonomous Kurdistan region.

"Only the personnel necessary to maintain the operational capability of the camp in Erbil remain on site," the spokesman said.

The spokesman did not specify the source of the tensions, but US President Donald Trump has ordered a major build-up of US warships, aircraft and other weaponry in the region and threatened action against Iran.

German troops are deployed to Erbil as part of an international mission to train local Iraqi forces.

The spokesman said the German redeployment away from Erbil was "closely coordinated with our multinational partners".


UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
TT

UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)

A drone strike on a displacement camp in Sudan killed at least 15 children earlier this week, the United Nations reported late on Wednesday.

"On Monday 16 February, at least 15 children were reportedly killed and 10 wounded after a drone strike on a displacement camp in Al Sunut, West Kordofan," the UN children's agency said in a statement.

Across the Kordofan region, currently the Sudan war's fiercest battlefield, "we are seeing the same disturbing patterns from Darfur -- children killed, injured, displaced and cut off from the services they need to survive," UNICEF's Executive Director Catherine Russell said.


MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible, following an Israeli decision to end its activities there.

In early February, Israel announced it was terminating all the activities in Gaza by the medical charity, known by its French acronym MSF, after it failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff.

MSF has slammed the move, which takes effect on March 1, as a "pretext" to obstruct aid.

"For the time being, we are still working in Gaza, and we plan to keep running our operations as long as we can," Filipe Ribeiro told AFP in Amman, but said operations were already facing challenges.

"Since the beginning of January, we are not anymore in the capacity to get international staff inside Gaza. The Israeli authorities actually denied any entry to Gaza, but also to the West Bank," he said.

Ribeiro added that MSF's ability to bring medical supplies into Gaza had also been impacted.

"They're not allowed for now, but we have some stocks in our pharmacies that will allow us to keep running operations for the time being," he said.

"We do have teams in Gaza that are still working, both national and international, and we have stocks."

In December, Israel announced it would prevent 37 aid organizations, including MSF, from working in Gaza from March 1 for failing to submit detailed information about their Palestinian employees, drawing widespread condemnation from NGOs and the United Nations.

It had alleged that two MSF employees had links with Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which the medical charity has repeatedly and vehemently denied.

MSF says it did not provide the names of its Palestinian staff because Israeli authorities offered no assurances regarding their safety.

Ribeiro warned of the massive impact the termination of MSF's operations would have for healthcare in war-shattered Gaza.

"MSF is one of the biggest actors when it comes to the health provision in Gaza and the West Bank, and if we are obliged to leave, then we will create a huge void in Gaza," he said.

The charity says it currently provides at least 20 percent of hospital beds in the territory and operates around 20 health centers.

In 2025 alone, it carried out more than 800,000 medical consultations, treated more than 100,000 trauma cases and assisted more than 10,000 infant deliveries.