Protests in Iraq's Nasiriyah Continue as Govt Fails to Ease Tensions

Iraqi demonstrators take part in ongoing anti-government protests in Nasiriyah, Iraq January 29, 2021. (Reuters)
Iraqi demonstrators take part in ongoing anti-government protests in Nasiriyah, Iraq January 29, 2021. (Reuters)
TT

Protests in Iraq's Nasiriyah Continue as Govt Fails to Ease Tensions

Iraqi demonstrators take part in ongoing anti-government protests in Nasiriyah, Iraq January 29, 2021. (Reuters)
Iraqi demonstrators take part in ongoing anti-government protests in Nasiriyah, Iraq January 29, 2021. (Reuters)

Anti-government protests erupted again in Iraq’s Nasiriyah, hours after a delegation dispatched by Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi to defuse the tensions left the city.

One person was killed and 36 others, including police members, were wounded when security forces used tear gas to disperse the protests.

The government has been seeking to end the protests in Nasiriyah, which erupted on Sunday, ahead of a visit by Pope Francis I in March.

A spokesman for the province’s police said that the Joint Operations Command has prepared a security plan for the visit.

“The protests will not affect the historic trip because the residents are keen on preserving the reputation of their city,” he added.

Protesters are demanding the dismissal of Dhi Qar Governor Nazem al-Waeli, the arrest of those behind the abduction of activists and an end to the excessive use of force against the rallies.

Kadhimi had dispatched the delegation, comprised of the interior minister and head of national security, to Nasiriyah to assess the situation. The delegation met with tribal elders, representatives of the protest movement and some security commanders.

This is not the first government delegation to head to the city. The PM had dispatched a similar one in November. That delegation was on a fact-finding mission in wake of the murders and kidnappings that had targeted protesters. It has obviously failed seeing as the violence and protests have persisted.

Amid the lack of trust between the local and federal authorities and the protesters, observers believe that it is unlikely for the tensions in Nasiriyah to die out any time soon. In fact, the demonstrators appear to be escalating their actions as they insist on the dismissal of the governor.

Activist Abbas al-Nasseri said: “The sense of frustration and lack of trust among the youth is fueling the anger that has persisted in Nasiriyah for months.”

He told Asharq Al-Awsat: “Many protesters believe the government delegations only seek to contain the tensions. They are not thinking of ways to resolve and address the causes of the anger. This makes their successive visits futile.”

He stressed that the protest demands are clear in demanding that the murderers of demonstrators be held to account, that kidnappings be ceased and that the governor be removed from his post. Other demands include providing job opportunities and basic services.

The government has so far failed in meeting these demands.

Sources from the government delegation said Baghdad was not seeking to introduce any administrative changes in the province.

Meanwhile, in the neighboring Wasit province the protest movement succeeded in opening an office for the province. Nabil Shamma, brother of musician Naseer Shamma, was appointed as official in charge with managing the affairs of the provincial capital Kut.

The office was opened after an agreement was reached between the protesters and representatives of the premier.



Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.


Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of "encouraging the migration" of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.

"We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state," said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.

"We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.

"There is no other long-term solution," added Smotrich, who himself lives in a settlement in the West Bank.

Since last week, Israel has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.

The measures include a process to register land in the West Bank as "state property" and facilitate direct purchases of land by Jewish Israelis.

The measures have triggered widespread international outrage.

On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amount to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.

"We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank," they said in a statement.

"Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed.

"We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation."

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Israel to reverse its land registration policy, calling it "destabilizing" and "unlawful".

The West Bank would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state. Many on Israel's religious right view it as Israeli land.

Israeli NGOs have also raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem's borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.

The planned development, announced by Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.

The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.