Turkish Jets Land at GNA Bases in Libya, Saleh Seeks Representational Govt

Morocco's FM Bourita meets with Libyan parliament Speaker Aguila Saleh in Rabat. (Moroccan Foreign Ministry)
Morocco's FM Bourita meets with Libyan parliament Speaker Aguila Saleh in Rabat. (Moroccan Foreign Ministry)
TT

Turkish Jets Land at GNA Bases in Libya, Saleh Seeks Representational Govt

Morocco's FM Bourita meets with Libyan parliament Speaker Aguila Saleh in Rabat. (Moroccan Foreign Ministry)
Morocco's FM Bourita meets with Libyan parliament Speaker Aguila Saleh in Rabat. (Moroccan Foreign Ministry)

Three Turkish military cargo jets landed in bases belonging to the Government of National Accord in Libya as political efforts continued to form a new cabinet.

According to Fightradar24, the aircraft landed at the Watiya and air force academy in Misrata city, hours after Prime Minister-designate Abdulhamid Dbeibeh pledged that the maritime deal signed between the GNA and Ankara will not be annulled.

This marks the first time such flights arrive to the GNA since the election of both Dbeibeh and head of the Presidential Council, Mohammed al-Menfi.

Meanwhile, speaker of the east-based parliament, Aguila Saleh paid a visit to Morocco on Friday for talks with Foreign Minister Nasser Bourita.

There is no prior opposition to the government that is being formed by Dbeibeh, he said, adding that quorum at parliament will be met when it is presented to a vote of confidence.

It has yet to be decided whether the legislature will meet in Sirte or at its Tobruk headquarters.

“We want the formation of a smaller cabinet, comprised of experts,” Saleh said, stressing that the ministers must represent Libya’s three main regions.

Bourita, for his part, said the speaker’s visit was significant given the important role parliament has played in pushing forward political efforts in Libya.

Dbeibeh was also expected in Morocco, but he postponed the trip due to his preoccupation with internal affairs, said Libyan sources.

Prior to heading to Rabat, Saleh had held talks on Thursday with an Egyptian delegation that had paid a surprise trip to Libya.

The speaker’s office said that meeting was part of “ongoing preparations to form a national unity government.”

Meanwhile, sources said the Dbeibeh’s failure to submit a cabinet lineup is due to disputes over sovereign portfolios. They revealed that disputes remain over the ministries of defense, interior and finance.

They speculated that a figure loyal to the Libyan National Army would be nominated for the defense ministry, while current GNA Interior Minister Fathi Bashagha has a high chance of retaining his post.

In remarks on Thursday, Dbeibeh said he was committed to the fair representation of the western, eastern and southern Libyan regions in the cabinet, adding that no one will be excluded, even supporters of the former regime of leader Moammar al-Gaddafi.

Gaddafi’s son, Seif al-Islam, met on Thursday with Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Mikhail Bogdanov. Russia’s Foreign Ministry said talks focused on the latest political developments in Libya, as well as the upcoming elections set for December.



UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
TT

UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)

A drone strike on a displacement camp in Sudan killed at least 15 children earlier this week, the United Nations reported late on Wednesday.

"On Monday 16 February, at least 15 children were reportedly killed and 10 wounded after a drone strike on a displacement camp in Al Sunut, West Kordofan," the UN children's agency said in a statement.

Across the Kordofan region, currently the Sudan war's fiercest battlefield, "we are seeing the same disturbing patterns from Darfur -- children killed, injured, displaced and cut off from the services they need to survive," UNICEF's Executive Director Catherine Russell said.


MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible, following an Israeli decision to end its activities there.

In early February, Israel announced it was terminating all the activities in Gaza by the medical charity, known by its French acronym MSF, after it failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff.

MSF has slammed the move, which takes effect on March 1, as a "pretext" to obstruct aid.

"For the time being, we are still working in Gaza, and we plan to keep running our operations as long as we can," Filipe Ribeiro told AFP in Amman, but said operations were already facing challenges.

"Since the beginning of January, we are not anymore in the capacity to get international staff inside Gaza. The Israeli authorities actually denied any entry to Gaza, but also to the West Bank," he said.

Ribeiro added that MSF's ability to bring medical supplies into Gaza had also been impacted.

"They're not allowed for now, but we have some stocks in our pharmacies that will allow us to keep running operations for the time being," he said.

"We do have teams in Gaza that are still working, both national and international, and we have stocks."

In December, Israel announced it would prevent 37 aid organizations, including MSF, from working in Gaza from March 1 for failing to submit detailed information about their Palestinian employees, drawing widespread condemnation from NGOs and the United Nations.

It had alleged that two MSF employees had links with Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which the medical charity has repeatedly and vehemently denied.

MSF says it did not provide the names of its Palestinian staff because Israeli authorities offered no assurances regarding their safety.

Ribeiro warned of the massive impact the termination of MSF's operations would have for healthcare in war-shattered Gaza.

"MSF is one of the biggest actors when it comes to the health provision in Gaza and the West Bank, and if we are obliged to leave, then we will create a huge void in Gaza," he said.

The charity says it currently provides at least 20 percent of hospital beds in the territory and operates around 20 health centers.

In 2025 alone, it carried out more than 800,000 medical consultations, treated more than 100,000 trauma cases and assisted more than 10,000 infant deliveries.


Egyptian-Turkish Military Talks Focus on Strengthening Partnership

The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
TT

Egyptian-Turkish Military Talks Focus on Strengthening Partnership

The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)

Senior Egyptian and Turkish air force commanders met in Cairo on Wednesday for talks focused on strengthening military partnership and expanding bilateral cooperation, in the latest sign of warming defense ties between the two countries.

The meeting brought together the Commander of the Egyptian Air Force, Lt. Gen. Amr Saqr, and his Turkish counterpart, Gen. Ziya Cemal Kadioglu, to review a range of issues of mutual interest amid growing cooperation between the two air forces.

Egypt’s military spokesperson said the talks reflect the Armed Forces’ commitment to deepening military collaboration with friendly and partner nations.

Earlier this month, Egypt and Türkiye signed a military cooperation agreement during talks in Cairo between Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi and his Turkish counterpart, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Sisi highlighted similar viewpoints on regional and international issues, while Erdogan noted that enhanced cooperation and forthcoming joint steps would help support regional peace.

Cairo and Ankara also signed an agreement last August on the joint production of vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) drones. Production of unmanned ground vehicles has also begun under a partnership between the Turkish firm HAVELSAN and Egypt’s Kader Factory.

During the talks, Saqr underscored the importance of coordinating efforts to advance shared interests and expressed hope for closer ties that would benefit both air forces.

Kadioglu, for his part, stressed the depth of bilateral partnership and the strong foundations of cooperation between the two countries’ air forces.

According to the military spokesperson, Kadioglu also toured several Egyptian Air Force units to review the latest training and armament systems introduced in recent years.

Military cooperation between Egypt and Türkiye has gained momentum since 2023, following the restoration of full diplomatic relations and reciprocal presidential visits that reflected positively on the defense sector.

In September last year, the joint naval exercise “Sea of Friendship 2025” was held in Turkish territorial waters, aimed at enhancing joint capabilities and exchanging expertise against a range of threats.