North Macedonia Inflict Historic World Cup Qualifying Defeat on Germany

North Macedonia players embrace at full time after their shock 2-1 win over Germany. Photograph: Ina Fassbender/AFP/Getty Images
North Macedonia players embrace at full time after their shock 2-1 win over Germany. Photograph: Ina Fassbender/AFP/Getty Images
TT

North Macedonia Inflict Historic World Cup Qualifying Defeat on Germany

North Macedonia players embrace at full time after their shock 2-1 win over Germany. Photograph: Ina Fassbender/AFP/Getty Images
North Macedonia players embrace at full time after their shock 2-1 win over Germany. Photograph: Ina Fassbender/AFP/Getty Images

North Macedonia stunned Germany with a 2-1 World Cup qualifying victory in Duisburg, as Eljif Elmas’s 85th-minute winner earned the Balkan country what is surely their greatest ever win.

Germany dominated the first half with 70% possession, but although Leon Goretzka hit the crossbar it was the visitors who took the lead when the 37-year-old forward Goran Pandev was left unmarked in the box to tap home in first-half stoppage time.

The hosts leveled from the penalty spot in the 63rd minute, Ilkay Gündogan converting after Leroy Sané had been brought down in the area. Timo Werner missed a golden opportunity 10 minutes from time, while at the other end Emre Can was perhaps lucky not to concede a penalty for handball.

In the end it didn’t matter as Napoli midfielder Elmas found space in the box to turn in Arijan Ademi’s cutback for the winner. The result lifted North Macedonia above Germany on goal difference in Group J. Armenia are the surprise group leaders after they earned a 3-2 home win over Romania earlier on Wednesday.

“These lads have made North Macedonia proud against the winners of four World Cup titles and three European Championships,” the North Macedonia coach, Igor Angelovski, said. “We’ve never beaten a team with so many titles. Now we have to get some rest as what we have accomplished still hasn’t sunk in.”

The defeat was Germany’s first at home in World Cup qualifying since the 5-1 loss to England in 2001, and came in coach Joachim Löw’s last qualifying game in charge. Löw will leave his post after this summer’s delayed European Championship, which North Macedonia have qualified for via the Nations League playoffs.

“This is bitterly disappointing,” Löw said. “We were not fresh enough, we made mistakes. When we played quickly we were dangerous but we did not find the tools to be really threatening. Overall, it was disappointing to lose like that at home.” In the other Group J game, Iceland eased to a 4-1 victory in Liechtenstein.

Spain moved to the top of Group B with a 3-1 home win over Kosovo in Seville despite a howler from goalkeeper Unai Simón, who rushed out of his goal to allow Besar Halimi to pull a goal back for the visitors in the 70th minute.

Dani Olmo’s delicate chip put Spain ahead in the 34th minute, with Ferran Torres adding another two minutes later. Gerard Moreno restored Spain’s two-goal cushion five minutes after Simon’s error. Elsewhere, Georgia followed up last week’s narrow loss to Spain with a 1-1 draw in Greece.

Italy maintained their 100% start to qualifying with a hard-fought 2-0 win over Lithuania in Group C. Stefano Sensi struck the opener two minutes into the second half before Ciro Immobile’s stoppage-time penalty settled matters in Vilnius.

The group already looks a straight fight between Italy and Switzerland after Northern Ireland and Bulgaria played out a 0-0 draw. “The glass is half full; Switzerland only won 1-0 at home against Lithuania three days ago,” said the Italy manager, Roberto Mancini. “You cannot be brilliant all the time, but the important thing was to win.”

Antoine Griezmann struck again as France took control of Group D with an away win over Bosnia-Herzegovina. Griezmann headed home Adrien Rabiot’s cross to earn victory after Hugo Lloris had denied the hosts a first-half opener.

“Our first half was below par,” said the France manager, Didier Deschamps, afterwards. “It was better after the break but I have seen things I had not seen in a while.” Having held France to a 1-1 draw last week, Ukraine stumbled to the same scoreline at home to the group’s bottom side, Kazakhstan.

Denmark top Group F with three wins by an aggregate score of 14-0 after they thrashed Austria 4-0 in Vienna. Spurs midfielder Pierre-Emile Højbjerg was among the goals as Denmark stayed four points clear of Scotland, who beat the Faroe Islands by the same scoreline.



PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
TT

PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz

Paris Saint-Germain coach Luis ‌Enrique hailed the mental strength of his side in coming from two goals down to win 3-2 away at Monaco in the Champions League on Tuesday, but warned the knockout round tie was far from finished.

The first leg clash between the two Ligue 1 clubs saw Folarin Balogun score twice for the hosts in the opening 18 minutes before Vitinha had his penalty saved to compound matters.

But after Desire Doue came on for injured Ousmane Dembele, the ‌match turned ‌and defending champions PSG went on to ‌secure ⁠a one-goal advantage ⁠for the return leg.

"Normally, when a team starts a match like that, the most likely outcome is a loss,” Reuters quoted Luis Enrique as saying.

“It was catastrophic. It's impossible to start a match like that. The first two times they overcame our pressure and entered our half, they scored. They ⁠made some very good plays.

“After that, it's difficult ‌to have confidence, but we ‌showed our mental strength. Plus, we missed a penalty, so ‌it was a chance to regain confidence. In the ‌last six times we've played here, this is only the second time we've won, which shows how difficult it is.”

The 20-year-old Doue scored twice and provided a third for Achraf Hakimi, just ‌days after he had turned in a poor performance against Stade Rennais last Friday ⁠and was ⁠dropped for the Monaco clash.

“I'm happy for him because this past week, everyone criticized and tore Doue apart, but he was sensational, he showed his character. He helped the team at the best possible time.”

Dembele’s injury would be assessed, the coach added. “He took a knock in the first 15 minutes, then he couldn't run.”

The return leg at the Parc des Princes will be next Wednesday. “Considering how the match started, I'm happy with the result. But the match in Paris will be difficult, it will be a different story,” Luis Enrique warned.


Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TT

Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)

Real Madrid forward Kylian Mbappe said Benfica's Gianluca Prestianni should be banned from the Champions League after the Argentine was accused of directing a racist slur at Vinicius Jr during the Spanish side's 1-0 playoff first-leg win on Tuesday.

Denying the accusation, Prestianni said the Brazilian misheard him.

The incident occurred shortly after Vinicius had curled Real into the lead five minutes into the second half in Lisbon.

Television footage showed the Argentine winger covering his mouth with his shirt before making a comment that Vinicius and nearby teammates interpreted as a racial ‌slur against ‌the 25-year-old, with referee Francois Letexier halting the match for ‌11 ⁠minutes after activating ⁠FIFA's anti-racism protocols.

The footage appeared to show an outraged Mbappe calling Prestianni "a bloody racist" to his face, Reuters reported.

The atmosphere grew hostile after play resumed, with Vinicius and Mbappe loudly booed by the home crowd whenever they touched the ball. Despite the rising tensions, the players were able to close out the game without further interruptions.

"I want to clarify that at no time did I direct racist insults to Vini Jr, ⁠who regrettably misunderstood what he thought he heard," Prestianni wrote ‌on his Instagram account.

"I was never racist with ‌anyone and I regret the threats I received from Real Madrid players."

Mbappe told reporters he ‌heard Prestianni direct the same racist remark at Vinicius several times, an allegation ‌also levelled by Real's French midfielder Aurelien Tchouamen.

Mbappe said he had been prepared to leave the pitch but was persuaded by Vinicius to continue playing.

"We cannot accept that there is a player in Europe's top football competition who behaves like this. This guy (Prestianni) doesn't ‌deserve to play in the Champions League anymore," Mbappe told reporters.

"We have to set an example for all the children ⁠watching us at ⁠home. What happened today is the kind of thing we cannot accept because the world is watching us.

When asked whether Prestianni had apologized, Mbappe laughed.

"Of course not," he said.

Vinicius later posted a statement on social media voicing his frustration.

"Racists are, above all, cowards. They need to cover their mouth with their shirt to show how weak they are. But they have the protection of others who, theoretically, have an obligation to punish them. Nothing that happened today is new in my life or my family's life," Vinicius wrote.

The Brazilian has faced repeated racist abuse in Spain, with 18 legal complaints filed against racist behavior targeting Vinicius since 2022.

Real Madrid and Benfica will meet again for the second leg next Wednesday at the Bernabeu.


Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
TT

Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)

The Kings League-Middle East announced that its second season will kick off in Riyadh on March 27.

The season will feature 10 teams, compared to eight in the inaugural edition, under a format that combines sporting competition with digital engagement and includes the participation of several content creators from across the region.

The Kings League-Middle East is organized in partnership with SURJ Sports Investments, a subsidiary of the Public Investment Fund (PIF), as part of efforts to support the development of innovative sports models that integrate football with digital entertainment.

Seven teams will return for the second season: DR7, ABO FC, FWZ, Red Zone, Turbo, Ultra Chmicha, and 3BS. Three additional teams are set to be announced before the start of the competition.

Matches of the second season will be held at Cool Arena in Riyadh under a single round-robin format, with the top-ranked teams advancing to the knockout stages, culminating in the final match.

The inaugural edition recorded strong attendance and wide digital engagement, with approximately a million viewers following the live broadcasts on television and digital platforms.